Adobe removes print scaling from Reader [No, they didn't. Solved.]

RobClogs

To make printing ScaleScenes kits even harder, Adobe Reader's  latest version - 9.9.5 on on my Win10 system - has dropped the option to customize print scaling.

Instead, you're merely given the option to fit more pages onto one sheet. In other words, print at half, quarter, eighth etc. size. That's not what we need.

Has anyone come across this problem yet? And found a workaround?

ado-print-options.jpg

Edited by RobClogs
Corrected title, to be fair to Adobe

4 hours ago, ikcdab said:

ive justr updated mine to the latest version and i still have custom scaling...

605688485_Screenshot2021-09-15170648.jpg.36db36da471aeba775c98b62669a692f.jpg

Good to know, I build a lot of Scalescenes in 7mm scale.  Mine is an earlier version.

John

Edited by brossard

5 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

... Acrobat Reader 9 is ancient ...

It was on my system when I inherited it, and I had assumed it had been updated regularly. Wrongly.

I'm happy to report that I've now got Acrobat Reader DC and I'm painlessy scaling my Scalescenes prints. Up to 168%, using the Poster print feature, because it then no longer fits on an A4.

Thanks for the responses.

35 minutes ago, RobClogs said:

It was on my system when I inherited it, and I had assumed it had been updated regularly. Wrongly.

I'm happy to report that I've now got Acrobat Reader DC and I'm painlessy scaling my Scalescenes prints. Up to 168%, using the Poster print feature, because it then no longer fits on an A4.

Thanks for the responses.

Off topic but 168%?  What scale is that?

John

• Like 1

Sorry to keep nagging everyone about this. I've now got the state-of-the art Adobe Reader DC.

But when I printed a Scalescenes pdf page, Adobe or my printer refused to commit all the brick detail to paper.

It's as if the Scalescenes page contains too much detail for the printer's limited? memory. This is a legal Scalescenes page (low relief engine workshop) which looks OK on screen, but prints out only part of the brick structure, and drops masonry arches apparently randomly all over the place.

Other, less detailed, Scalescenes pages  print without any problem, as do detailed photographs.

I printed this  at 100%, no fancy scaling or anything. There are no newer drivers for my HP Envy 5540 printer than the current one. The printer is on my home wifi network. Has anyone experienced similar garbled Scalescenes printouts?

captioned-pdfprint.jpg

Never seen anything remotely like that before.  As I mentioned above my Adobe is not the latest.  My printer is HP Office Jet Pro 8720.  It has given stellar service printing out enlarged (175%) Scalescenes sheets.

Sorry I can't be any help, I have no idea what's going on.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

And 7mm/4mm = 175%

I was scratching my head over the scaling.  I'm doing Scalescenes in 7mm and the buildings come out very well, although windows generally must be scratch built which is a PITA.

US 0 Gauge is 1:48 so I can't figure out what modelling scale 1:45 applies to.  Tanks and aeroplanes don't come in 1:45 scale, AFAIK.

Perhaps it is a perspective thing, like the Coronation Street set which, IIRC, is 3/4 scale. (Yeah, I did the pilgrimage years ago).

John

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brossard said:

I was scratching my head over the scaling.  I'm doing Scalescenes in 7mm and the buildings come out very well, although windows generally must be scratch built which is a PITA.

US 0 Gauge is 1:48 so I can't figure out what modelling scale 1:45 applies to.  Tanks and aeroplanes don't come in 1:45 scale, AFAIK.

Perhaps it is a perspective thing, like the Coronation Street set which, IIRC, is 3/4 scale. (Yeah, I did the pilgrimage years ago).

John

According to Wikipedia 1:45 is O gauge in Germany, Japan, Russia & Czech Republic/Czechia, 32mm track.

It is also "Q" scale in USA

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, RobClogs said:

I printed this  at 100%, no fancy scaling or anything. There are no newer drivers for my HP Envy 5540 printer than the current one. The printer is on my home wifi network. Has anyone experienced similar garbled Scalescenes printouts?

All I can think of is that it might be worth trying a direct (USB) connection to the printer rather than wi-fi. I've had problems in the past with scanning when using wi-fi, so that might be worth trying. Other than that, you could try a different PDF reader—I usually use Sumatra PDF on Windows—it's free, but I don't know whether it supports scaling on printouts. It does use a lot less in the way of resources than Adobe.

Another thing you could try is to convert the PDF to an image file, scale that appropriately and then print it out unscaled. GIMP will open a PDF file and allow you to change the scaling and the resolution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you very much for the useful suggestions, @D9020 Nimbus. My suspicions were also turning towards the wifi connection between PC and printer. Will try a USB connection.

I will also reinvestigate the conversion to an image file. I had made one attempt by taking a screenshot, importing that into paint.net, but found it hard to get the scaling right. Plus you only get a small part of the file; this particular Scalescenes kit is 21 A4 pages. I have meanwhile found out that Inkscape is able to import pdf files, so I'll explore that further.

Oh, and about that 1:45 scale: as @melmerby pointed out, it is the O scale ratio which is widely used in Europe, including most of my friends, when modelling continental prototypes. Unless they're French or Swiss or Anglophiles ;)

• RobClogs changed the title to Adobe removes print scaling from Reader [No, they didn't. Solved.]