Waterloo / Alton 70’s loco’s

martinjwray

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, martinjwray said:

Newbie here. Can you help me. I used to use this service in the 70’s in the pre NSE period. Am curious as to the loco’s which were used fir these trips

Electrification happened in 1936 as part of the Portsmouth via Haslemere scheme so loco haulage has not been needed for a very long time with respect to ordinary passenger trains.

Once electrified, steam (and later diesels) were restricted to freight duties or the occasional main line diversion via Alresford till that shut in the early 1970s.

Motive power for passenger services from 1936 was the Southern railway 2BIL units. In the late 1960s these gave way to the 4VEP units which in turn were replaced by the Class 450 Desiro units after privatisation.

Diesels would have been rare - but basically just 33s or 73s.

When was travelling to / from the Mad-Hints in the seventies 4VEPs were the norm with the occasional 4CEP .... and 2HAPs were not uncommon ( everything was combined with a Blazingsmoke service west of Woking, of course ). I remember one trip home - presumably late-ish Sunday evening - when we had a 2HAP ( or more ) that so was fresh from the Eastleigh paintshop that all the door slamlocks kept sticking : we stopped at Woking's Platform 2 where somebody got out and closed the door - but it didn't catch and swung open shortly after departure : next stop Waterloo !

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Electrification happened in 1936 as part of the Portsmouth via Haslemere scheme so loco haulage has not been needed for a very long time with respect to ordinary passenger trains.

Once electrified, steam (and later diesels) were restricted to freight duties or the occasional main line diversion via Alresford till that shut in the early 1970s.

Motive power for passenger services from 1936 was the Southern railway 2BIL units. In the late 1960s these gave way to the 4VEP units which in turn were replaced by the Class 450 Desiro units after privatisation.

Diesels would have been rare - but basically just 33s or 73s.

Was it electric all the way through, or just to Alton? I can't find anything on Flickr showing 3rd rail at Alresford.

Much appreciated guys.. When i used the term ‘loco’ i was intending to include EMU/DMU’s. 

If i wanted to model these (I seem to remember 2 lots of 4 coach units doing the trip to Woking)

, in N gauge, does anyone know what my options are. I had hoped to do this in DCC..

22 minutes ago, martinjwray said:

Much appreciated guys.. When i used the term ‘loco’ i was intending to include EMU/DMU’s. 

If i wanted to model these (I seem to remember 2 lots of 4 coach units doing the trip to Woking)

, in N gauge, does anyone know what my options are. I had hoped to do this in DCC..

The closest you will get for the 1970s is a Farish 4-CEP if you want rtr.

I worked on the line from 1980 to late 1988. Stock was usually whatever CEP/BEP/VEP was available with the odd 2HAP stuck on for peak workings To see EP stock was very rare and SUBs not at all. SUB stock was "forbidden" west of Woking after the line voltage was upped to 750v. There was also the question of non-compatability between EP and SUB stock. 

Most trains split or joined with the Basingstoke portions at Woking. I've never seen a DMU on the line, there was no need for them. The only locos were on the oil tank trains, usually a 33 or 47.

But of course with the Mad Ants opening in the mid 1980s, through running with all sorts of locos was possible. :)