Inglenook Kickback (Will It Work?)

I'm planning a new micro layout, an inglenook BLT with a kickback for mixed traffic.

Some considerations:

• I'm using L-gauge (or Lego)
  • I'm looking for plausible, rather than prototypical
  • The layout will mounted on a board and mainly operated as an inglenook but the board can be moved to the floor and temporary track ran through the house for the branch line

The 3 sidings (on the west side) and the headhunt (kickback, middle, east) are sized for a 5-3-3 inglenook. Is the puzzle always solvable like this or have I introduced some chance that could break it? 

Here is a plan of the layout. InglenookKickbackPLan.PNG.5ac930f818cbd52d66e2012345c3ce18.PNG

At rest, there will be 5 wagons on parked on the west, lower sidings and a shunter on the kickback.

633299419_InglenookKickback1.PNG.7f78dbe87badaa732163c996a12d8018.PNGBoth goods and passenger trains will arrive from the upper, eastbound track and pull alongside the platform. 1830163788_InglenookKickback2.PNG.60175d4f9a1d7aac976821df0cb79531.PNG

684447083_InglenookKickback3.PNG.9e66f82f964b831473c7945cb82d0bd4.PNG

The shunter will pull the wagons (or passenger cars) into the kickback to release the loco.

1194499279_InglenookKickback4.PNG.a5a74ec0e0f71b3489ebe58762e84fcd.PNG

The wagons will be resorted and 3 outgoing will be left at the platform.

1838737212_InglenookKickback5.PNG.b56814f5867cf6a18bb1e9ab7f99234b.PNG

The loco will take the outgoing wagons off east, back down the branch line.

1619982218_InglenookKickback6.PNG.fcdb898f5eb8c958ab6af7b7ff5dc4b6.PNG596007311_InglenookKickback7.PNG.1c8ee25c2079e13f66f32793cb5fad23.PNG

• Like 2

I am not sure as to how plausible it would be in a UK setting.

A single passenger platform served by autocoach or a class 121 or 122 bubble car - OK.

If the two sidings are to be used for general goods it would not be enough to keep a small shunter stationed in the sidings for a day or week.

If the sidings were serving an industrial complex then the orange engine could be owned and operated by the factory.

As usual I am happy to be proved wrong.

Gordon A

Thank you Gordon, maybe possible was the word I should have choose rather than plausible. I'm looking for an excuse to run two locos :D In this alternative universe, our fictions town is a popular tourist destination and visitors choose the more ecological method of travel with loco hauled trains coming and going often. I can also employ selective compression, every wagon or coach actually represents two or three. The goods sidings are general purpose right now but that's not fixed.

In addition, I did try to come up with a realistic scenario for a regular inglenook.

Without a runaround, wagons would have to be propelled up the line.

The mainline station would need a large siding for a goods train to cutoff the front 3 wagons and leave the rest there.

Somehow a guards van would be need to be added for propelling?

The branch line could only be served by a train heading in one direction and it would need to be a trailing point to propel back up.

But my main question is, did I break the inglenook formula with the kickback?

Edited by Twentieth-Bagginess

• RMweb Premium

I agree with @ikcdab - this is perfectly in line with the philosophy of a shunting puzzle.

In terms of realism / plausibility, if the sidings and shunter represent a separate industrial concern that would explain why the ‘road locomotive’ that brought the wagons to the station doesn’t do the shunting as well.

An alternative would be to propel the wagons and just use one locomotive, but if it is the end of a long branchline also served by passenger trains I think this is less likely.  If the line down to the station was downhill propelling would be problematic, as the wagons would be in front of the locomotive on a downhill slope, so vulnerable to runaways if a coupling broke.  There are probably other scenarios - in other words: build the plan you like, I’m sure there’s a story that fits.  When I built a small Inglenook a couple of years ago I didn’t worry about it and just enjoyed the shunting puzzle.  

Most of all: have fun! Keith

• Agree 1

I think it looks good. I do wonder whether, in some cases, it would make more sense to introduce a loop where the platform is, so that the train loco can still run round in the absence of a shunter and potentially do its own shunting, and the passenger platform road isn’t always blocked by freight moves (but I suppose whether the platform road can be blocked depends on what kind of railway it is, what era, and how frequently everything runs). But I think you’d need to position the loop points in such a way that they couldn’t be used to “cheat” while solving the Inglenook. I really like it, I’m just struggling to think of settings  (freight, and not in city centres) where there is no way to run round unless a shunter is used.

• Like 1

Have a think about adapting something along these lines:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vierheim+industrie&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB874GB874&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.69i59i450l8.712316j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and also look up "Palmetto Springs" to see how you can adapt the concept used on that layout.

If you want additional track running around the house, ensure it is on a clean surface (boards of its own) or your locos will pick up all sorts of dust and other nasties in their mechanisms.

aac

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sorry about the link taking you somewhere unintended. Google for Vierheim Industrie. It's Gauge 1 but you will see the idea with some photos and video.

Sorry - yes Palmetto Spur. Again, just simpler inspiration from which you can expand your own ideas.

aac

• Like 2

I couldn't find a detailed write up of operations at VI, but I did watch a couple of interesting running videos. Alcanman's Palmetto Spur is a nice layout, but I couldn't fit a track plan like that in the space I have at L-gauge scale.

While I'm looking out for a big enough board, I've been running a 4-3-3 with space for loco+2 in the kickback and 7 cars. I haven't come enough any situations where its impossible to the problem.

Edited by Twentieth-Bagginess
  • Like 1

I want to see pictures of this Lego layout when it’s finished!
I see no problems with your scheme. The inglenook concept is pretty rock solid, after all, it’s been around since 1926. So you needn’t worry about breaking it. Just get building and post pictures. I want to see Lego locos and wagons.

ian

• Like 1