New Anycubic Ultra DLP printer (not SLA...)

Didnt notice this announcement, just when you think you dont need another printer to choose from.

DLP technology, Mars Pro/Photon sized, will be about $600 USD if you miss the earlybird specials.

https://www.slashgear.com/anycubic-photon-ultra-kickstarts-low-cost-dlp-3d-printer-08690186/

• RMweb Premium

Quite. Smaller even than the original Photon. Elegoo have teased a Mars 3 DLP too. I can totally see the appeal; no LCDs to break or wear out, more resilient, very crisp detail (even if notional voxel size is bigger than equivalent MSLA). 

SLA is a different technology again FWIW, I’m not are of any home SLA printers, they’re all MSLA (masked SLA). 

16 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Not so - see the comments in the video starting at 7:03

I've seen several reviews now the quality seems to vary by reviewer

As the reviewer mentions it's been built to a fairly low budget, the Elegoo products feel a little better quality and their self leveling head is really easy to use,  in addition the build volume is smaller than others, I think this is probably the way forward but I don't think it's there quite yet, I'd like to see what say Elegoo will do to compete 

• RMweb Premium

Yep, and they’re not intended as home printers. By ‘home’ I meant not £3,000, and not aimed at industrial use. The Peopoly Moai is/was SLA too, which is more of a home printer, but no longer available. 

However nothing by Elegoo,  Anycubic, Epax, Phrozen, Voxelab, Longer etc etc.

I'm a Patreon member of Lule Towans channel so got alerted to the printers existence  when I watched his new member-only video about building stonehenge in ho scale using it.

Now the Patreon member exclusivity has expired its on youtube. More about stonehenge than the printer,  but its a cool model.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Ohh so you have gone for the new Elegoo Jupiter @monkeysarefun I almost went for one to, but figured I would wait and see what this Phrozen 8k is like when it hopefully arrives in October, however I am already a wee bit disappointed by the longer printing times due to having to slow down the lift speeds to reduce crazy suction issues! But hoping the size will make up for it! Who says size isn’t everything :D

Be interested to get your thoughts on the new Elegoo, if its any good I may take a punt, though hoping Prusa finally release their XL printer this year for some larger scenery stuff I want to tackle, my zortrax is a bit long in the tooth now! 

12 hours ago, woko said:

Ohh so you have gone for the new Elegoo Jupiter @monkeysarefun I almost went for one to, but figured I would wait and see what this Phrozen 8k is like when it hopefully arrives in October, however I am already a wee bit disappointed by the longer printing times due to having to slow down the lift speeds to reduce crazy suction issues! But hoping the size will make up for it! Who says size isn’t everything :D

Be interested to get your thoughts on the new Elegoo, if its any good I may take a punt, though hoping Prusa finally release their XL printer this year for some larger scenery stuff I want to tackle, my zortrax is a bit long in the tooth now! 

I've been umming and aahing over the Jupiter since I got the kickstarter notification. My main reason to jump in right now is the prelaunch price discount.

Every second day or so I convince myself I do in fact really need one and a couple of times I've weakened and gone to complete the form but the addition of the $300US delivery price that gets added on  at the final step sobers me up a little.

I think my main reasons for not getting one - sheer size of the thing and the fact that I havent yet really run up against the size limitation of the Saturn, at least not enough to justify an extra huge printer instead of just splitting the print up -   will win out in the end.

Also the huge vat is a bit intimidating when it comes to resin use, what would be cool is if they made it dual size, if you could replace the large print plate and vat for a Mars size or even Saturn size when required, I'd use it enough then to justify getting one. But then Id have my other printers not doing anything, so thats not a sensible idea for me either!

I DO have the Mars 3 on preorder,  bought mainly because the preorder price on THAT was cheap, I got free delivery and a years sub to Chitubox Pro.... That's meant to be here by now but due to lack of flights into Aus the international mail system is pretty broken so I don't expect to see that for another month at least, maybe  once they open us up to the foreign hordes again in November.

I havent taken note of the Phrozen 8K, I'll check that one out just its Sirens  song can  temp me too.

Edited by monkeysarefun

22 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've been umming and aahing over the Jupiter since I got the kickstarter notification. My main reason to jump in right now is the prelaunch price discount.

Every second day or so I convince myself I do in fact really need one and a couple of times I've weakened and gone to complete the form but the addition of the $300US delivery price that gets added on  at the final step sobers me up a little.

I think my main reasons for not getting one - sheer size of the thing and the fact that I havent yet really run up against the size limitation of the Saturn, at least not enough to justify an extra huge printer instead of just splitting the print up -   will win out in the end.

Also the huge vat is a bit intimidating when it comes to resin use, what would be cool is if they made it dual size, if you could replace the large print plate and vat for a Mars size or even Saturn size when required, I'd use it enough then to justify getting one. But then Id have my other printers not doing anything, so thats not a sensible idea for me either!

I DO have the Mars 3 on preorder,  bought mainly because the preorder price on THAT was cheap, I got free delivery and a years sub to Chitubox Pro.... That's meant to be here by now but due to lack of flights into Aus the international mail system is pretty broken so I don't expect to see that for another month at least, maybe  once they open us up to the foreign hordes again in November.

I havent taken note of the Phrozen 8K, I'll check that one out just its Sirens  song can  temp me too.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I ummed and aahed over the Phrozen 8k, but i think having something that large will definitely help with the O gauge stuff im hoping to print, and potentially the 28mm war gaming terrain stuff I build as well. So I took the plunge, still waiting for it however, and I figured ok, its expensive, but the enjoyment, and knowledge II get from prototyping and printing my own stuff since I have started this 3d printing malarkey has been off the chart, so I can’t wait to see if its any good, or just another big paperweight :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

How are you getting on with the Sonic Mega @woko? I sold mine unused, decided that I wasn’t doing much printing at the moment and just couldn’t justify it, particularly given the speed technology moves on. Like you I was disappointed to read how slowly it prints as well. I had planned to do O gauge wagons with it, and Chitubox reckons ~75 hours per print for some, so probably nearer 4 days in reality!

On 07/11/2021 at 22:55, njee20 said:

How are you getting on with the Sonic Mega @woko? I sold mine unused, decided that I wasn’t doing much printing at the moment and just couldn’t justify it, particularly given the speed technology moves on. Like you I was disappointed to read how slowly it prints as well. I had planned to do O gauge wagons with it, and Chitubox reckons ~75 hours per print for some, so probably nearer 4 days in reality!

Hello njee20, I was wondering how you where getting on with your printer chap, gutted to hear you have sold yours, but can understand why, and as you say the next new printer will be on its way like the Elegoo Jupiter, or as I am hoping Anycubic will get round to making a bigger machine because I love my Mono, and Mono X, both superb printers so far serving me well.

I have had a crazy time just trying to get mine delivered, it got mistakenly delivered to some other dude in Surbiton, and then Phrozen refused to accept that it hadn't been delivered to me, and kept closing my tickets, so I had to jump on Social Media to start shouting about it, which finally got me somewhere only to go away for a few days whilst they tried to redeliver without telling me, and then when I finally got back fed ex had lost it, until finally it got delivered last friday! So I have unpacked it, but not used it yet as I have ordered a screen protector only to find out Phrozen don't want you to relevel the build plate yet as it is super awkward apparently and are in the process of putting together a video to help! 

So my initial experience has been ropey, but like you I really want to start printing some 6 wheeled O gauge carriages for myself, so it is quite an expensive way forward, but figured it is more about the processing of creating that I get the real kick out of, so have justified the expense.

However I will see about the crazy printing times, apparently on the facebook group a few folks have had great results printing by experimenting with new settings that half the recommended printing, though imagine this could be super risky, especially without a screen protector! But 75hrs for a wagon is insane!!! 

I'm not sure what or when I will kick off some prints, the low temperatures could cause a lot of fails, so I may have to wait until I sort heating out for the studio or specifically heating for the printer, I will have to see.

I'm waiting now for Prusa's XL if that ever surfaces, have you got your eye on anything coming along? Or just waiting to see what is next?

If I do get lucky with the weather I will try to print something to post

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nah, not really watching for anything. ultimately I was going to print O gauge stuff, which I’d still love to do, but I don’t actually have any O gauge stock, so there’s no burning platform so to speak, it would have been my entry into O, so that just waits! The Saturn is perfectly adequate for N gauge, so I’ll stick there. The Jupiter looks interesting, great value. The additional build volume of the Mega over and above the Jupiter would’ve been useful on certain items (I was looking at some 20m coaches - which won’t fit in a Jupiter easily). Like you I was nervious about temperatures. I find with the current printers that heating the resin before starting is sufficient - the exothermic reaction keeps the heat up enough, but I doubt that’d work on the super long print times. 

Sorry to hear you had a ballache with even getting yours, but I really look forward to seeing the prints!  I’ve seen the new profiles in the FB group, which would be good!

Sorry guys - not about the Anycubic DLP! Back more on topic I notice Elegoo have been quiet on their DLP Mars, I might have expected they’d be hotter on Anycubic’s heels.