Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

From Dartmoor to Wales!

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if seen by many before, but I came across this photo of Cashmore’s in Newport. A sorry sight for steam enthusiasts. Surrounded by the remains of others gone before, 34021 still manages to exude a degree of majesty in its final hours.

The mountain of scrap in itself presents a tremendous modelling opportunity .... let me see, which locos can I dispense with?

2C51B513-71F6-445F-B1D3-82C29912CB66.jpeg.a9d2ac45b9e3604cb9b18080542e5bbe.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Right Away said:

Apologies if seen by many before, but I came across this photo of Cashmore’s in Newport. A sorry sight for steam enthusiasts. Surrounded by the remains of others gone before, 34021 still manages to exude a degree of majesty in its final hours.

The mountain of scrap in itself presents a tremendous modelling opportunity .... let me see, which locos can I dispense with?

2C51B513-71F6-445F-B1D3-82C29912CB66.jpeg.a9d2ac45b9e3604cb9b18080542e5bbe.jpeg

Presumably most of this metal is still with us, disguised as other things?

• RMweb Gold

I remember Cashmores very well, part of our Saturday cycling route from Cardiff across the levels to Severn Tunnel Junction.  With nearby Buttigiegs', it was a constantly changing scened as the locos you saw last week were gone and replaced by new ones this week.  After calling in here, we'd get a ride on the Transporter, and usually bottle out of the ride home against the wind and got the train home from STJ.  By the time this was taken, with the then new cable stay bridge open, there was no steam at STJ, so any visits were out and back on the bikes from Cardiff, and over the Transporter to check out the Power Station Peckett and Orb steelworks locos.  On one occasion we walked across the top of the Transporter; good views from up there, did it again about 15 years ago at a 'Friends of' open day.  The bridge operator recognised me from my Canton guard's days in the 70s and gave me the tour; he'd been a shunter at STJ.  I didn't recognise him!

It is possible that KGV is undergoing the restoration paid for by Bulmer's Cider in T.W. Ward's in the background.  They let me paint a bit of the smokebox.  Photo taken from the ramp leading to the 'octopus bridge'; new arrivals awaiting scrapping were usually left on the road beneath the wall out of sight in the bottom of this frame.  Scrap locos off the Southern were stabled at Gloucester, Over Jc I think but am not sure, and were worked down to the South Wales scrapyards in 3s or 4s, hauled by Hymeks every time I saw them, and with a goods brake van at the rear. 

Cashmores' and Buttigiegs' were charnel houses, a savagely visceral visual experience as the cutters did their work.  Cashmore's became increasinly depressing over the years, and I stopped going by the 70s.

• Like 1