D1015 Western Champion on GBRf cement?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I hope '15 is feeling better.  This is a good example of what a diesel hydraulic is capable of - as long as the wheels don't slip!

I'm sorry about the discordant wailing noise at the beginning.  Apparently its caused by some sort of torture device?

and this is what happens when they do slip... oops

That is why they need t engines to haul a train. But I have seen this clip before.

Terry.

Nah, that Queensferry clip is not pretty.  1000s lifted heavy stone trains out of Merehead, no slipping.

My Dad would have described the driver in the Queensferry clip as abusing the loco and the track.  In fact he'd have described him as something rhyming with 'rock'.

Best regards

Matt W 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't find the reference now, but I believe the North Queensferry incident was due to the driver not waiting until the train brakes were fully released before trying to take full power. The slip was only stopped by one of the DTG guys going into the engine room and cutting the control air. They were not happy with the driver! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 5944 said:

I can't find the reference now, but I believe the North Queensferry incident was due to the driver not waiting until the train brakes were fully released before trying to take full power. The slip was only stopped by one of the DTG guys going into the engine room and cutting the control air. They were not happy with the driver! 

I wouldn't normally criticize a driver, but that was utterly appalling. Surely the cab speedometer would have given him a clue that the wheels were slipping, as well as the noise/vibration that must have been heard/felt in the cab? I would imagine that the PW team wouldn't be happy either; that sort of thing would gouge lovely pits in the railhead...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkC said:

I wouldn't normally criticize a driver, but that was utterly appalling. Surely the cab speedometer would have given him a clue that the wheels were slipping, as well as the noise/vibration that must have been heard/felt in the cab? I would imagine that the PW team wouldn't be happy either; that sort of thing would gouge lovely pits in the railhead...

The cab speedo would be driven by the leading bogie, so would have shown 0mph no matter how fast the rear bogie was slipping.  However no excuse - when the engine is screaming and you are even moving backwards that is a pretty big clue that keeping the controller at full power might not be helping matters....

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MarkC said:

Surely the cab speedometer

Unfortunately the speedometers are independent to each cab. If the leading engine was shut down due to a fault that is why he was wheel slipping. The only time the speedometer in the leading cab will indicate the speed for that end only.

The only question I ask the "Westerns" have two engines fitted, and should have two rev-counters Engine A and B, but I believe that some only had one fitted later in there careers due failure of the gauges.

Terry. 

Edited by Trainshed Terry
Missing words.

3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Interesting that the rear bogie was slipping, not the front. I'd expect it to be the other way round, due to weight transfer making the loco sit down on the rear bogie.

1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

If only the rear engine was running then only the rear bogie was powered.

I understand that in this case the leading engine was shut down, and it was the trailing bogie only that was powered. If the leading engine was working properly, she would have been able to move the train easily, and the driver would not have been tempted to keep giving it more power.

As an aside that was one big advantage a Deltic had over twin engined diesel hydraulics - with the Deltic on one engine not only are both bogies still powered, but the same maximum tractive effort is still achievable so that unlike a Western if one engine fails it will still be able to haul the train to its destination without getting stuck on a hill, albeit at a lower speed.

• Informative/Useful 2