Prototype Operations

Newbie2020

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

As a Newbie planning a layout I keep coming across problems as I'm not sure on the way railways work. The ways trains run, timetables slip directions etc.

Does anyone know of a book that covers this type of info?

Cheers

Clive

6 hours ago, Newbie2020 said:

Hi all,

As a Newbie planning a layout I keep coming across problems as I'm not sure on the way railways work. The ways trains run, timetables slip directions etc.

Cheers

Clive

Bob Essery was the author of a series of books, Railway Operation for the Modeller being one of them.  There was also Passenger Train Operation for the Railway Modeller and Freight Train Operation for the Railway Modeller.  I think you can still get them  on the second hand book sites.  They are quite detailed books. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gopher said:

Bob Essery was the author of a series of books, Railway Operation for the Modeller being one of them.  There was also Passenger Train Operation for the Railway Modeller and Freight Train Operation for the Railway Modeller.  I think you can still get them  on the second hand book sites.  They are quite detailed books. 

Brilliant! That sounds like just what I need!

Thankyou

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Newbie2020 said:

Brilliant! That sounds like just what I need!

Thankyou

You could also do what many others to and as you develop your ideas and possibly a layout plan you could ask questions in the relevant subject areas on RMweb.  the advantage of doing taht is that specific queries can be addressed rather than something generalised or skimmed over in a book or which was beyond the author's area of interest or knowledge.  Probably the best way to do it is to us either 'Layout & Track Design' and/or 'Permanent Way, Signalling and Infrastructure' in the Skills area of the forum and/or to use 'Prototype Questions'  in the 'Prototype' area.  Another thing you need to understand is that the way today's railway is operated is very different from the steam and early diesel/electric eras.

This is  an example of the way one place has been dealt with, in considerable detail, in the latter area of the forum -

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

23 hours ago, Newbie2020 said:

Hi all,

Cheers

Clive

Hi Clive 

There are a good number of books on this subject but it really depends a lot on what era and type of situation you're modelling. Give us some idea of that and we can probably offer some more relevant suggestions. It will also affect the design of the layout and it's worth noting that a lot of the designs offered in layout books are not particularly prototypical.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Hi Clive 

There are a good number of books on this subject but it really depends a lot on what era and type of situation you're modelling. Give us some idea of that and we can probably offer some more relevant suggestions. It will also affect the design of the layout and it's worth noting that a lot of the designs offered in layout books are not particularly prototypical.  

Hi David,

Predominantly late stema early diesel - but with the inevitable "non-era" intruders!!

Clive

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Hi Clive

And are you looking at branch, main line or yard operation and predominately passenger or goods or both?

A combination of a roundy double mainliner and an A to B Branch mainly passenger with a small goods area

• Like 2

On 18/09/2021 at 15:56, Newbie2020 said:

Hi David,

Predominantly late stema early diesel - but with the inevitable "non-era" intruders!!

Clive

I presume this is to help with the planning of your proposed Lyneworth layout?

I have been following the Lyneworth Phase 2 thread, and I think the various posts have contributed to the layout looking much more 'railway like'.

Is there a particular place or part of the railway network you are trying to recreate? Sometimes there are prototype stations or depots that lend themselves to being used for inspiration in model form.

cheers

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rivercider said:

I presume this is to help with the planning of your proposed Lyneworth layout?

I have been following the Lyneworth Phase 2 thread, and I think the various posts have contributed to the layout looking much more 'railway like'.

Is there a particular place or part of the railway network you are trying to recreate? Sometimes there are prototype stations or depots that lend themselves to being used for inspiration in model form.

cheers

Hi

Yes it is. Harlequin and Chimer are setting me straight on a lot of things, and I now want to understand more of where they are coming, and the reasons why certain things are a certain way.

Clive