N Gauge Class 45

Chrisjh

They surely have. The N-Gauge Resource  website is my first port of call for any question about what's been released in n-gauge for the diesel and electric era (if you're looking at the site on a mobile device, you may need to scroll down to find the content after selecting a prototype from the menu).

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

• RMweb Premium

44/45/46 family have not been produced for some time, are available on the second hand market though but are going for ridiculous money at the moment.

A new release is inevitable but which century it will appear is anyones guess.

• Like 1

Many thanks Gents much appreciated, I did a google search and saw the ridiculous prices for previous models as mentioned. I dont understand why the manufacturers make the same models, rather doing soemthing unique like Revolution or Kato. All the best, Chris 

• RMweb Premium
On 18/09/2021 at 10:49, Chrisjh said:

Many thanks Gents much appreciated, I did a google search and saw the ridiculous prices for previous models as mentioned. I dont understand why the manufacturers make the same models, rather doing soemthing unique like Revolution or Kato. All the best, Chris 

So you already knew the answer…? :wacko:

No one is duplicating the 45. There is an old Farish model, with a  very buoyant second hand market. No one has announced a new one. 

A modern spec Peak must be the No1 requested item in N gauge, yet no manufacturers seem interested. Instead we get more sheds and EMUs.

Btw you can repair the gears from the old model. It's fairly straightforward, but if you are struggling good model shops can do it. A few years ago Trains4u charged me about £28 (if I remember correctly) to sort one out so if you can find one with split gears going for a song it's worth picking it up.

10 hours ago, grahame said:

Any evidence to support that assertion?

It'd be interesting to know what are the top ten.

Your previous prejudice against peaks is showing.

If you are looking for a loco which needs improving (or new) which covers multiple regions and can have multiple liveries and /or names then there is limited alternatives which have not be produced or announced.   While there are a number of classes of a similar size which could do with a revamp e.g. V2, they have a less diverse usage and likely appeal.

While the above is loco centric, if we are looking at other things we are looking at things like catering coaches (with Mk1 RB / RBR leading) and a possibly a RTP code 40 track system. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I reckon a new Peak(s) are in the queue somewhere (they have an 1Co-Co-1 chassis in the Class 40 so we know they can do it) I still think a new shell for the earlier body style Class 25 is more likely first.

10 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Whilst I reckon a new Peak(s) are in the queue somewhere (they have an 1Co-Co-1 chassis in the Class 40 so we know they can do it) I still think a new shell for the earlier body style Class 25 is more likely first.

Do you mean a 24/1 / 25/0 or the later 25 without the end doors?

I've a couple of 25s with the end doors, it's the later body we need bringing up to spec with speakers as well - but then it will show up my other four 24/25s with it's lovely sounds.

59 minutes ago, Bomag said:

While the above is loco centric, if we are looking at other things we are looking at things like catering coaches (with Mk1 RB / RBR leading) and a possibly a RTP code 40 track system. 

And, probably more essential and not available, multiple units, both diesel and electric.

The class 45 is very probably the most missed loco in N gauge. I’m told the good people at Barwell are very keen to provide us with a nice new class 45. I might be wrong as I have no knowledge  on the subject but It’s possible that the problem is getting priority for it at Kadar where it will be in competition with other projects in many scales for many parts of the world for toolroom time.

I live in hope that a new 45/46 will be announced soon. 

Edited by Chris M
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bomag said:

Your previous prejudice against peaks is showing.

If you are looking for a loco which needs improving (or new) which covers multiple regions and can have multiple liveries and /or names then there is limited alternatives which have not be produced or announced.   While there are a number of classes of a similar size which could do with a revamp e.g. V2, they have a less diverse usage and likely appeal.

I respectfully disagree that the V2 had less diverse usage and likely appeal than a Class 45! 

The V2s were used from Scotland down to London, I think some parts of East Anglia, across to Banbury and Oxford and even down on the Southern for a time as replacements for (I believe) West Country/Battle of Britain Class which had teething troubles. You could run one from the mid 1930s all the way through to the early "noughties" in preservation, a number of livery variations. In terms of usage, fast fitted freights, unfitted minerals, parcels, mail, express passenger, semi-fast passenger and local turns on occasion - at least as diverse in terms of usage as a "Peak". A V2 to current standards would fly off the shelves, especially assuming sound ready.

Don't get me wrong I would love a Peak, but you massively underestimate what the V2 was about if the above is what you think.

Regards

Roy

I think the above raises an interesting question. Do diesel or steam outline locos sell better in N gauge? Based on articles/exhibitions/Facebook it seems likely that diesel sales are larger than steam outline but I’m only guessing. I have both but my diesel collection is much larger than my steam.

17 hours ago, fezza said:

Instead we get more sheds and EMUs.

...and therein lies the problem facing manufacturers, writ large. 

Elsewhere on here are the current scene followers and OLE practitioners bemoaning the very LACK of 66s in this week's one-off livery variation and sundry electric multiple units.   

I would love RTP Code 40 track but I can't help thinking that designing tooling and manufacturing something that would be suitably user-friendly and resilient would be an incredibly costly undertaking. I recall showing a short section of Finetrax to someone from PECO a few years back while exhibiting at a show in the west Country. He looked it over and while admiring what had been achieved said he didn't see Code 40 as a viable as a mainstream product. 

Roy

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I think the above raises an interesting question. Do diesel or steam outline locos sell better in N gauge? Based on articles/exhibitions/Facebook it seems likely that diesel sales are larger than steam outline but I’m only guessing. I have both but my diesel collection is much larger than my steam.

From what I am told by friendly retailers steam/diesel transition remains the most popular era, followed by blue-diesel pre and post TOPS. This is borne out by which liveries sell out first in both cases. If you look at the recent Class 31s as an example, both the BR Green and Blue variants long gone but the Large logo, Sectorisation, RTC and yellow liveries are all readily available and can be found at 20% discounts now.

Also for balance note that the 8Fs were out of stock at Barwell very quickly after release all bar the short lived LNER variant which was a poor choice. Had they done a weathered BR one instead that would have sold through very quickly.

Regards

Roy

The gaps in diesels in N gauge are the 25/3 and Peaks.

I'd like to see them get a Next 18 and speaker fitted 08, I guess lights might be a step too far on that model.  A speaker fitted Deltic would also be popular.

In steam, where do you start, so many gaps/opportunities on the face of it, but truly it comes down to market size, it's a pity the J72 didn't make the cut, it would have opened up many a small tank loco for Farish.  At the bigger end of things - King, K3, V2, BoB, several different SR 4-6-0s, Princess, but that's a decades work at least for Farish.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

I would love RTP Code 40 track but I can't help thinking that designing tooling and manufacturing something that would be suitably user-friendly and resilient would be an incredibly costly undertaking. I recall showing a short section of Finetrax to someone from PECO a few years back while exhibiting at a show in the west Country. He looked it over and while admiring what had been achieved said he didn't see Code 40 as a viable as a mainstream product. 

Roy

Yeah, I can’t see code 40 track being mainstream enough. Finetrax is a great option for those who want it, but the lack of compatibility with older models (or Kato ones!) will be prohibitive for too many IMO. 

14 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

...and therein lies the problem facing manufacturers, writ large. 

Elsewhere on here are the current scene followers and OLE practitioners bemoaning the very LACK of 66s in this week's one-off livery variation and sundry electric multiple units.   

Yep, I don’t want a 45, but I raised my eyebrows at the assertion we have too many 66s and EMUs, I think both are lacking! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The gaps in diesels in N gauge are the 25/3 and Peaks.

I'd like to see them get a Next 18 and speaker fitted 08, I guess lights might be a step too far on that model.  A speaker fitted Deltic would also be popular.

In steam, where do you start, so many gaps/opportunities on the face of it, but truly it comes down to market size, it's a pity the J72 didn't make the cut, it would have opened up many a small tank loco for Farish.  At the bigger end of things - King, K3, V2, BoB, several different SR 4-6-0s, Princess, but that's a decades work at least for Farish.

I can't disagree on the mainline diesel gaps being the 25/3 and the Peaks. It'd be nice to have classes 85, 87 and 90 done too. At least one of the 63' DMU/EMUshaped holes should get plugged by Revolution now they have the chassis from the 128 to play with, although with Bachmann offering the 117, I wonder if they'll opt for the 120 instead.

There's a need for SR 4-6-0s, but I'd give the Princess a miss and replace it with a re-vamped 2P 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 Crab.

Steven B.

• Like 2