Met electric no5 Jhon Hampden

simon b

• RMweb Gold

Hi all. Having seen Met no12 Sarah Siddons a few times on various trains, it got me wondering about the condition of it's sister no5.

Does anyone know if it's still capable of running under it's own power, or is it now just a static exhibit? Just wondering how plausible it would be to get it back out on the main line.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Dan Hamblin said:

I understand it has given up a number of components to help keep Sarah Siddons operational.

Regards,

Dan

Thanks for that.  Keeping no12 running is a worthy cause, but it would be great to see it operational again one day.

• RMweb Premium
On 18/09/2021 at 11:26, simon b said:

Hi all. Having seen Met no12 Sarah Siddons a few times on various trains, it got me wondering about the condition of it's sister no5.

Does anyone know if it's still capable of running under it's own power, or is it now just a static exhibit? Just wondering how plausible it would be to get it back out on the main line.

I think you should assume that it's never going to run again.  Sarah Siddons has required a fair few mods to make it tolerably safe to operate in the 21st century (and relative to most modern equipment, it's still lethal), including compatibility with (some) modern LU signalling.  To operate John Hampden - removal from its location in the LTM aside - you'd have to do the same, so neither of them would be in original/as-withdrawn condition.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

It does seem a little cramped upstairs doesn't it? 

Looking at that pic above has reminded me that some Q stock vehicles are being restored, so hopefully we might be able to ride them at some point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

No. 1 John Lyon survived as Neasden shunter till 1972 & scrapped 1974 with frame defects so could have been a preservation contender. Good excuse for a photo.

image.png.00aaaf2f001352eae2b80e9876ead698.png

courtesy https://www.heritagerailway.co.uk/3486/top-marks-for-veteran-electric-locos-nameplate-as-debate-continues/

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 19/09/2021 at 20:56, Northmoor said:

I think you should assume that it's never going to run again.  Sarah Siddons has required a fair few mods to make it tolerably safe to operate in the 21st century (and relative to most modern equipment, it's still lethal), including compatibility with (some) modern LU signalling.  To operate John Hampden - removal from its location in the LTM aside - you'd have to do the same, so neither of them would be in original/as-withdrawn condition.

Lots of non-original perspex panels and warning labels last time I looked inside it, and even there were still exposed cables, busbars and contactors everywhere! 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1