Help. Hornby R2100 Terrier 0-6-0. 00

Gordon A

I have been trying to sort out a second hand Hornby Terrier (R2100) for a friend which is showing signs of hard use.

It appears that spares for this loco are non existent.  I have already tried to find replacement plunger pickups (X8250) without success.

Can any one tell me what diameter and thread the Hornby crank pins are for this loco please?

Or does someone have a  set of spare crank pins ( X8242) for sale?

Many thanks

Gordon A

The Hornby Terrier did not have plunger pick-ups: if the chassis you are dealing with has them, it dates from the days of Airfix production.  The wiper pick-up assemblies (X8250) have been difficult to obtain for quite some time.  They will need modifying, but it may be worth having a look at the similar units used on the J94 tank in pack X8263 which can still be found.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Going Spare said:

The Hornby Terrier did not have plunger pick-ups: if the chassis you are dealing with has them, it dates from the days of Airfix production.  The wiper pick-up assemblies (X8250) have been difficult to obtain for quite some time.  They will need modifying, but it may be worth having a look at the similar units used on the J94 tank in pack X8263 which can still be found.

Thanks for the reply.

The keeper plate under the chassis has Hornby. Made in China moulded into it.

I have made additional pick ups with phosphor bronze wire.

My current problem is the crank pin screws which I need to replace.

Gordon A

Hi Gordon.

The original Hornby Terrier was inherited from Dapol and definitely did have plunger pick-ups on four wheels and scrapers on the other two. It never had anything to do with Airfix. They were always a problem, often being faulty even on a brand new model.

I tried to get replacement plungers for quite a while, but they never seemed to be available as a spare from Hornby. It should be possible to fit replacement pick-ups, but since the new version Terrier came out, I have not bothered.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Perhaps it might be worth looking at Dapol spare parts. I am sure I have seen those plunger type pickups somewhere. Hornby use plungers on the pickup plate for the Pecket and Princess models, it might be worth looking at those. As for crank pins, have a look at Thomas the Tank ones.

I assume you have done a trawl of Peters Spares site to see what is available. Quite often Hornby use the same part on different models but give it a different number.

The official Dapol spares supplier DCC Supplies do not have them in stock, although they are listed.

https://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/Dapol-spares/oo-gauge-spares/oo-gauge-steam-spares/terrier-oo-pickups/

• Thanks 1