Gopher

Well Dewchurch 2 is dismantled, with bits salvaged/binned.  So time to start a new thread .

The room the layout sat in is being renovated , ready for the third incarnation of Dewchurch.  A fictitious location on the Welsh borders (Herefordshire, Worcestershire), set in the late 1950s/60s.  So same old, same old.

I think the new baseboards will be delivered next month but might have to be stored until the layout room has a new window. 

So I am kicking my heels, but thought I might as well start building the new analogue control panel for the points, signals, lights, turntable control etc.  The fascia is a bit of UPVC windowsill.  I am installing 49 toggle switches which (on the back of a fag packet calculation) should be enough to operate everything.   I am determined to be more disciplined with my wiring (and even label things).  I'd forgotten the pleasure to be gained from this task (especially when I catch my hand with the hot soldering iron, or hot solder).  Originally I was going to clean up and reuse the toggle switches from Dewchurch 2.  Life is too short, and some of the switches have served on two previous layouts. So invested in some new switches, and so much easier to solder wires to. 

So made a small start on the new layout.   Good stock of swear words ready to use in the weeks/months ahead.  I must test the switches I have wired.

20210918_131326.jpg

20210918_131345.jpg

Edited by Gopher
photos added
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Good stock of swear words ready to use in the weeks/months ahead.

I'd offer you some of mine, but I used up most of my supply this afternoon, cleaning track and troubleshooting electrics.

Really looking forward to seeing Dewchurch 3!

• Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'd offer you some of mine, but I used up most of my supply this afternoon, cleaning track and troubleshooting electrics.

Really looking forward to seeing Dewchurch 3!

Thanks Graham - and always on the look out for new profanities (that's if you have any left after track cleaning and troubleshooting)

Whilst tidying up and clearing out the layout room I came across my last school report from my railway modelling teachers.  I thought I’d share some of it with you.  I have omitted the marks/grades I achieved, but will confess I scored null points -  0% in one subject.

Baseboard Building – comment from Mr Wood (teacher)

“Struggles with this subject, and produces inconsistent results.  His choice of materials is questionable and seems to have a liking for warped timber.   His basic woodwork skills are um – very basic.  He really must learn to use a set square and spirit level, and not rely on his own eyes.  Must try harder”

Track Laying and construction– comment from Mr Sleeper (teacher)

“Can achieve good results with pre-built track, but should not be let anywhere near constructing his own track, especially points”

Track Ballasting  - comment from Mr Stone (teacher)   

“Seems to hate this subject and is easily distracted, but can achieve satisfactory results if he concentrates”

Layout Wiring/Electrics – comment from Mr Sparks (teacher)

“Consistently tries to cut corners, and produces some sloppy work. Amazingly his wiring seems to work, and what gets wired stays wired.  Luckily he is limited to producing low voltage DCC, D/C and A/C circuits.  If he was let loose on higher voltage circuits he would kill himself”

Layout Scenery and Painting/Weathering – comment from Miss Hedges (teacher).

“Has made some great progress.  He clearly enjoys this subject, and can produce some good results.  I find him a very attentive pupil, who occasionally takes an interest in the lesson subject matter”     

Scratch Building – comment from Mr Cutter (teacher)

“Nice bloke but clearly as thick as a brick. Should give up this subject as soon as possible.  Lacks the basic ability to measure and cut accurately.  Seems constantly surprised when for example he measures and marks a 10cm cut, and then ends up with an 8cm cut, he can’t keep on blaming his tools for such poor results”.   

Kit Building (Plastic and Laser cut wood) – comment from Mrs Sprue (teacher)

“Produces some good consistent results (as long as you do not look too closely). Luckily he possesses some artistic skills to cover up any mistakes”   

Overall Comment from Mr Bodger – Head Master.

“A brilliant set of results and clearly a star pupil”  Oh hang on wrong pupil, where is the delete key ?

I miss my old teachers (well some of them). Wish I’d kept in touch with Miss Hedges (mainly because I never got to touch her).  I think Mr Bodger is now a High Court Judge.      

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• 1 month later...

Still kicking my heels waiting for a new window in the layout room.  I'm hoping I'll have baseboards erected by early Dec, and can then start building the new layout. 

In the interim I have kept my hand in by renovating one of the scratch built low relief buildings from Dewchurch 2.   I also purchased another low relief laser cut MDF warehouse to replace one of the backscene buildings at Dewchurch (not sure which one yet) .  It is a JS Models kit and I have to say very high quality and the pieces slot together perfectly.  Some photos of my progress to date below.  I have simply painted the window and door frames and built the main carcass so far.  

I want to try and make Dewchurch 3 a bit visually different to  Dewchurch 2, which will be a challenge as the track plan will be virtually the same, and I am recycling  many structures from Dewchurch 2.  So upgrading and changing some buildings will help.  Plus the country side scene/boards will hopefully be very different.

Also been having great fun experimenting with layering static grass (thanks to World War Scenics for their excellent videos and products).  I used a lot of static grass on the last layout, but had never attempted layering  with different lengths/colours etc.  Can't wait to try all this on the new layout, but still a long way off.  

20211029_111605.jpg

20211029_111528.jpg

20211029_114551.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Good to see you still busy with plans and construction despite being stuck with other people's timetables.

KBO.

Thanks Rob.  Yes I'm keen to rock and roll.  There's also a lot going on in my head (well more than usual).  About 5.30am this morning I was pondering what to put in place of the Gas Works which bordered Dewchurch goods yard.

I was never totally happy with the gas works on the last layout.  It was basically Hornby buildings with a Walthers gas holder.  I liked the gas holder albeit it was HO scale, not so keen on the buildings.   I think once the track is laid and the canal is landscaped I'll try and get creative and come up with something new for that part of the baseboard.        

• Friendly/supportive 1

Industries always seem very tricky to model convincingly in my opinion. If we consider that the railway is a business with a very complex infrastructure and the amount of research that is required to replicate it convincingly, then most other businesses that are served by rail need a good deal of research to model to the same standards.

On the upside, because of the amount of space that we don't have, we are usually limited to modelling just the part of the industry directly connected with the railway. If we have say, a big engineering works, the goods in / out area is the main

focus, with perhaps a covered dock on the back of a big shed in low relief.

You then would only need to know what comes out of the place and what would need to go inwardly in order to make it. 

I think that the choice of industry is going to do dictate how much you need to research and how much of it you need to model in order to be happy with it.

I was thinking of the R.A.Lister & co. works at Dursley for an instance. I'm not suggesting what you should be modelling, more trying to rationalize why you weren't happy with the gas works.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Industries always seem very tricky to model convincingly in my opinion. If we consider that the railway is a business with a very complex infrastructure and the amount of research that is required to replicate it convincingly, then most other businesses that are served by rail need a good deal of research to model to the same standards.

On the upside, because of the amount of space that we don't have, we are usually limited to modelling just the part of the industry directly connected with the railway. If we have say, a big engineering works, the goods in / out area is the main

focus, with perhaps a covered dock on the back of a big shed in low relief.

You then would only need to know what comes out of the place and what would need to go inwardly in order to make it. 

I think that the choice of industry is going to do dictate how much you need to research and how much of it you need to model in order to be happy with it.

I was thinking of the R.A.Lister & co. works at Dursley for an instance. I'm not suggesting what you should be modelling, more trying to rationalize why you weren't happy with the gas works.

Yes I agree.  My gas works was the usual compromise crammed into a relatively small space.  The space it occupied is right at the front of the layout, so it is very much on show.   I had planned to simply rebuild it on the new layout, but then the "what if" started messing with my mind.  I've got some photos in a book somewhere of the Lister works at Dursley,  which from memory were a dominant feature overlooking the station.  

I've been considering the usual suspects as a potential gas works replacement  i.e.  brewery, dairy,  simple warehousing/factory units, or maybe a row of terraced houses which back onto the goods yard.  Maybe I'll try and improve the gas works with better buildings.   I think once the track is down I can have a look at the space, and hopefully get creative.                

• Like 1

Bit more progress today on the half relief warehouse kit.

External wall sections painted and fixed to the carcass.

Doors painted, weathered and fixed in place.  Stone work  weathered, and roof section fitted ready for tiling.  

The kit does not include gutters or barge boards,  so off to the spares box to see what I can find 

20211031_140050.jpg

20211031_144503.jpg

20211031_144523.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 10

Finished the warehouse (as long as I resist my normal temptation to keep fiddling with it).  It will eventually sit  on the raised backscene overlooking Dewchurch station.  It will replace one of the original buildings (not sure which one yet)  

20211101_142950.jpg

20211101_145606.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Another rush of blood resulted in the purchase of another laser cut wood kit.   This one is a complete building (as opposed to a half relief kit). 

Details added include gutters, bargeboards, roof vents and transfers.  The completed article is large.   Just got to find a place for it on the new layout.  Still a few more details to add, and a bit more subtle weathering in some places.       

20211211_135212.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Those baseboards look great - I bet it doesn't stay looking that neat and tidy for long though!

Someone has to ask, so it might as well be me; can we see a track plan please?  I think I can already guess where the turntable will go...

• Like 1

Thanks Graham.   This is my fifth layout since returning to railway modelling.  I built my own baseboards for the first three with mixed results.  I find it distressing  when you have completed a layout and the boards or the frames warp so running becomes crap.   Very hard if not impossible to rectify  Anyway given the huge importance of having stable baseboards - I now get them manufactured to my design to fit the room.   

I plan to add a home made baseboard to the left of this scene so the layout will run along three walls of the room, with a crude removable fiddle yard added on -  behind the room door.  So same as Dewchurch 2 .

I sealed the baseboard tops yesterday, and added some more sky backscene paper.  The photo was taken a few days ago and the room is already a tip.  

Ah the track plan - it  is is from a David Jenkinson design in his book Historical Railway Modelling.   It will be broadly the same as the last Dewchurch layout slightly tweaked.  Here is a photo of it (I hope I am not breaking copyright by posting it here ).   The station platforms will not be on an arc, and the loco yard layout will be slightly different.  The main lines will run through a scenic break on the left and enter a countryside section which will include Harewood halt.   The plan is intended for 14ft baseboards. mine are just under 12ft so had to reduce the length to fit.             

20211214_091945 (2).jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 8

Today's effort.  My  homemade board in situ above my modelling desk.  Just need to fit a backboard and photo scenic background and I can get onto the track laying.  This board will house Harewood Halt.  I need to work out what to do (scenically) with the drop board on the right of this photo.  I wanted a section where the track was on an embankment (albeit  a short embankment), to add a bit more topographical interest.        

20211214_144133.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 7