Gopher

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I had similar problems (No, not problems, opportunities to refine the design and actually improve the final outcome.) when laying out the station throat for Aston. 

It did, as in the case of Dewchurch 3, mean that I ended up with a better version of the admittedly modest facilities, which will make it more enjoyable to operate.

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to reuse certain parts salvaged from the old layout.

It means that the previous layout isn't dictating the shape of the new one and compromising the improvements that you have decided to make when you decided to demolish Dewchurch 2.

Enjoying seeing this layout come to life.

Rob

Thanks Rob - yes best laid plans and all that.  It is interesting but one advantage of running Dewchurch 2 for 12 years - is you get to know how you operate it and where the limitations are i.e. I found there were a couple of sidings I hardly ever used, and at least one was not long enough.  So I've tweaked the plan to hopefully remedy this.   Onward and upward . -well actually downward back underneath the baseboards today. :yahoo:    

• Like 4

Another week of track laying/wiring.  The trackwork on the station board is nearly complete.  Just got to add one more siding in the goods yard (waiting for more insulated rail joiners which should arrive tomorrow). I also thought I'd better check clearances in the goods yard - so started unpacking some of the buildings.  

I've used DCC Concepts legacy stainless steel track for the goods yard sidings, because as I thought I do not have enough good SMP track.  The stainless steel track is a bitch to solder track feeds to, so I cheated by fixing brass rail joiners to the end of each siding and soldered the track feeds to them.   It is nice track and very flexible and matches the SMP track and Marcway pointwork quite well.

Once the station board  trackwork is complete (hopefully by Tuesday). I'm onto the loco yard board, which has less trackwork but two three way points, and the turntable to wire up.  So no doubt will require a good supply of profanities.   

Hopefully another couple of weeks will see all track laid, ready for painting and eventually ballasting once I've tested it by running a combination of trains over it all.       

20220116_172301.jpg

20220116_172311.jpg

20220116_172231.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gopher said:

Another week of track laying/wiring.  The trackwork on the station board is nearly complete.  Just got to add one more siding in the goods yard (waiting for more insulated rail joiners which should arrive tomorrow). I also thought I'd better check clearances in the goods yard - so started unpacking some of the buildings.  

I've used DCC Concepts legacy stainless steel track for the goods yard sidings, because as I thought I do not have enough good SMP track.  The stainless steel track is a bitch to solder track feeds to, so I cheated by fixing brass rail joiners to the end of each siding and soldered the track feeds to them.   It is nice track and very flexible and matches the SMP track and Marcway pointwork quite well.

Once the station board  trackwork is complete (hopefully by Tuesday). I'm onto the loco yard board, which has less trackwork but two three way points, and the turntable to wire up.  So no doubt will require a good supply of profanities.   

Hopefully another couple of weeks will see all track laid, ready for painting and eventually ballasting once I've tested it by running a combination of trains over it all.       

20220116_172301.jpg

20220116_172311.jpg

20220116_172231.jpg

That's a very wide baseboard.

19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Looking good, I like the way you have managed to put in so much trackwork without the layout looking cramped. It all flows nicely and I think that is what gives the illusion of space.

18 hours ago, Graham T said:

Definitely looking very good, and all seems to be developing very quickly too.  Great stuff!

Thanks both.  I think my phone camera may have exaggerated the space, having said that (compared to Dewchurch 2),  I have omitted one siding on the left and the goods yard is bigger.  It is a challenge trying to model a town terminus in limited space with an interesting track plan, and not making it all look too cramped.         

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Track laying on the station board is complete.  I need to be disciplined and complete the trackwork for the loco yard board, (and thus complete all the track laying),  and resist the temptation to start adding the scenery, buildings etc.,  to the station board  

20220118_143605.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Know that feeling  I prefer adding buildings and people to track layi ng  ,doing a job now on the scenic side  .Replacing a building with a new one and area around it remodeled and made more scottish ,like your progress .

Sounds good.  I'm quite envious as I've spent most of the day installing yet another 3 way point 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Photos showing latest status of track laying on the loco yard board.  The good news is that there is only one more siding with a drop pit to be laid into the engine shed - and that completes all the track on the layout (apart from adding some missing sleepers, and painting and ballasting it all).

I had big plans for the track layout on the loco yard board, but it soon became obvious that space was more limited than I envisaged, and planned for (less than on Dewchurch 2 even though the baseboard is the same size).  The track geometry has shifted slightly towards the back of the layout. So some of my plans had to be shelved (trade off between having all the track I wanted but no room for many buildings).  So some of the track had to go.  (Hard to believe when you look at how much track is left).  I laid two tracks onto the turntable,  but it was a very tight fit, and looked odd. So one of the tracks is now a short stub siding.  There is also no room for the diesel refuelling point.  So this will now move to the station board.  The carriage siding will now be a diesel refuelling siding.   The same carriage siding was also present on Dewchurch 2, but it is at the back of the layout, and a stretch to manually uncouple carriages.  So I will not miss it. 

I've been taking a break from track laying and completing another half relief backscene building and some backscene walls and gate (temporarily in place at the back of the engine shed).

Once the track is all laid, I'll start cutting out the holes for the working semaphore signals .  Most of these are motorised Ratio kits, about 30 years old.  I purchased them via an ad in Railway Modeller.  They have served with distinction on three previous layouts.  Only down side is they need quite big hole to install the operating mechanism.   Law of Sod dictates there will be a baseboard cross member directly underneath the preferred location for some of the signals.

I actually shed blood over the layout yesterday, managed to stab my finger with something.  I had not noticed until red stains started appearing on the track work. 

Blood sweat and tears, all for a new layout:crazy_mini:                

20220127_140928.jpg

20220127_140903.jpg

20220127_141011.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

All looking very good, and once again I'm impressed by how fast you get things done (have you been taking lessons from Andy P?)

I sympathise about the blood letting - I've done the same at Chuffnell R once or twice...

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

All looking very good, and once again I'm impressed by how fast you get things done (have you been taking lessons from Andy P?)

I sympathise about the blood letting - I've done the same at Chuffnell R once or twice...

Thanks Graham. Being retired helps, and also using items salvaged from the old layout.  I also dislike track laying - so just want to get it done.  I also think you get  a bit of "match fitness" - seemed to take me ages to install the first two Tortoise point motors.  The next twenty three were much easier. 

I think we wear our scars of railway modelling with pride - (I really must stop burning my self with the soldering iron as well)          

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been putting off some lifting and re-laying of track that I need to do.  Including fitting and wiring a single slip, which is filling me with dread!

And let's not talk about soldering please...

• Friendly/supportive 1

Break out the bubbly, Boris declare a national holiday - the track laying on the whole layout is complete.  Or to put it another way  - thank &**%% for that.  Hopefully I won't  have to rip any of it up when I start testing it properly. 

At the moment the turntable turns, the points point, all track is live and there are no short circuits.     

20220129_182003.jpg

20220129_182041.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Break out the bubbly, Boris declare a national holiday - the track laying on the whole layout is complete.  Or to put it another way  - thank &**%% for that.  Hopefully I won't  have to rip any of it up when I start testing it properly. 

At the moment the turntable turns, the points point, and there are no short circuits, all track is live and there are no short circuits.     

20220129_182041.jpg

20220129_182003.jpg

Nearly finished then!

• Funny 5

Now you have a good foundation on which to build.

I know that a lot of us prefer the more creative side of building a layout, but without the track, baseboard and electrics being spot on, you're going to struggle.

Think of that as trying to paint a replica Rembrandt on a carrier bag.

You've cleared the first three hurdles now.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1