Z21 issues with Tablet - Android, OS or Windows.

SamThomas

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if the so-called "turbo" charging mode over USB has anything to do with PD?

e.g. My Motorola phone has a micro USB (not a C type!) connector. If I charge it with a normal 5v 2.1A charger, it charges slowly.

If I charge it with it's own charger it goes into "Turbo" charging mode and charges a lot quicker.

If I use it's charger to charge another item e.g. camera it charges at the same slow rate as the 5v 2.1A charger.

The claimed maximum output of the Motorola charger, depending on what it's plugged into is 5v 3.0A or 9v 2.0A or 12v 1.5A.

The output connector is a standard A type socket.

There's obviously some sort of handshaking with the power supply as it starts charging at a slow rate then switches to turbo mode after about 15 seconds

All rather confusing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

just typed z21 into my Android phone

In order:

Z21 mobile, Z21, Z21 Updater, DigitrainsPRO, iTrain 5.0 remote, Roco AR, Piko Measure Car app.

On the Samsung tablet:

Z21, Z21 mobile, Z21 updater, DigitrainsPRO, iTrain 5.0 remote, then some differences

First 5 the same although the two Z21 apps were reversed.

Thanks for all of your help, it's much appreciated.

After a couple of further attempts following Ian's link I tried another device & it worked.

Looks like the first device was running an earlier version of Android !

Once again, thanks.

• Like 1

layouts, select required layout, scroll to bottom of page, select Export, choose Share and then application to get a file that is emailed, WhatsApp, etc or choose WiFi to share with Z21 app on another device.

export via mail is best as you then have a copy 

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2022 at 11:51, SamThomas said:

Looks like the first device was running an earlier version of Android !

If you go into settings, scroll down to the bottom and there should be a sections "about device" , "system" or similar

Open that and there should be more options, one of which is "About Phone" or "Software" etc., if you open that it will tell you which Android version is installed.

My Samsung Tab, which is a few years old, is 5.1.1

18 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

export via mail is best as you then have a copy 

Thanks Iain - just to be clear - I will have a copy to load onto another device, keep as a backup & the original file will remain on the original device ?

Sorry to appear to be such a numpty.

7 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Someone may have to confirm the import routine on Android - on iOS I just open the email, download the file and share it with Z21.

Looks like it - I have emailed the file & now need to know the proceedure to import the file onto the Android device.

The file is saved on the "receiving" device & also on a SD card but it will not import from the "import from SD card" on the Z21 Layout Management.

Hopefully, someone will know - TIA.

Edited by SamThomas

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Go to the email, click on the attachment, click on download then click on open, open with z21 app and then I THINK it's the first option :- Import and ?? Select or set ? Can't remember exactly how it's worded. You should then have it as your selected layout. If you choose to just import, you should see it as one of the layouts that can be selected. The Import from SD card seams to be bugged but it COULD just be that the settings need tweaking to point to your download folder on the SD card

HTH

8 hours ago, Matt C said:

Go to the email, click on the attachment, click on download then click on open, open with z21 app and then I THINK it's the first option :- Import and ?? Select or set ? Can't remember exactly how it's worded. You should then have it as your selected layout. If you choose to just import, you should see it as one of the layouts that can be selected. The Import from SD card seams to be bugged but it COULD just be that the settings need tweaking to point to your download folder on the SD card

HTH

Thanks, I've now managed to import the file to the second device & also managed to get the Z21 app running on a windows laptop using Bluestacks albeit a little slow - the commands seem to work instantly but the display is sometimes a little slow to acknowledge.

To me, it would have been nice if Roco/Fleischmann had developed the app to run on windows as well as Android & Apple.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

AFAIA you can connect to the Z21 black via Windows using jmri and its built in throttle, using an ethernet cable ? But this ISNT using the App so you do have to set up a separate Roster in jmri and use Panel pro if you want to change points etc. Maybe as Windows 11 evolves to allow the use of Android Apps this might change 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1