Hornby R2105C

M1JWR

Hi

after a number of years ive ratched out some of my old railway stuff, one of them is the loco in the title, which to those who may not know is a 9f

its missing a detail part, i am sure it was there at one time, though i will probably never find it, its the cab lower pipework (s8863), possibly a

common loss on these loco's, does anybody know where i can obtain this item, it looks like a simple push in job, i have serviced the loco and otherwise

its running great, appreciate any pointers.

i have another 9f thats 20 years older i would recon, its complete and now serviced and also running great, when i serviced that one it had no pick ups

on it whatsoever, thats a bit of a puzzler, how on earth does it get its power

regards to all

• RMweb Gold

Tender drive, pick up from one side of tender chassis (other side has traction tyres), return via other side of loco chassis, no wipers, a sort of 'split chassis' in which the split is the gap between the loco and the tender? 

Missing pipework might be sourceable from Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster plastic kit Evening Star.

Edited by The Johnster

The earliest 9F had wipers to all 8 flanged wheels and two wires to the tender.  The tender can only be detached by unbolting the drawbar, which is good as the wires snap off if you do,  These tenders have 6 traction tyres and are very very strong locos easily pull 100 Triang plastic wagons.  The driving wheels often don't bother the revolve.   The Loco is a scale 10 feet wide over cylinders, so make sure your platforms aren't too high!    Drawbar is ludicruly long to get them round 13" curves,

Next variation has no wipers but picks up left side through the loco wheels and chassis with a peg wired to the motor mounted on the insulated tender chassis engaging with the live tender drawbar with return through the right hand tender wheels. These have only two traction tyres and pull about 50% of the load the early ones can, but generally all the wheels go round. Pick up gets intermittent through wear in the drawbar so we sold ours ages ago.

Late tender drives have the double drawbar I believe, though we sold ours long ago.   Early loco drives had the tender drive tender with the motor missing. The tender chassis had draggy pickups and tended to disintegrate. I fitted a class 47 trailing bogie frame to ours, shortened the drawbar, binned the tender pickups and filled the boiler with lead and it still wont pull the skin off a cup of coffee.  Looks nice hauling 3 coaches or on shed.

Peters spares usually have the pipework and its often on ebay.  In BR days the pipes were either black or filthy, the polished ones are more or less a preservation era thing as copper rapidly goes blue green Verdigris colour when not polished.

i did look in the usual places but couldent find the pipework, i did type in Hornby s8863 in google and

found some sites selling them for 99p, wasent sure about those and a guy selling one on ebay for

nearly 20 quid...yikes, for an evening star, plain old black one will do, i am not fussy.

yes these 2 loco's are 20 years apart and between them the older one is better built and not so much detail.

and 92156 is one of those super detail ones, more detail more delicate build, more to go wrong, some years ago i bought

92134 which is weathered spares or repair (i like 9f's) the wipers in the tender were shot and so were the pins for the

ringfield gears, result was buying a tender exept tank on Ebay for a tenner off a britannia class, they were around a

tenner at the time, not that now though, luckily it was/is in good order.

the final 9f i have was also spares or repair, it came with hardly anything wrong with it, just a connection problem,

they were all about 30 to 40 quid apiece at the time several to 10 years ago, this one had a little secret (92139)

somebody had converted it to loco drive and as stated here the tender has the ringfield chassis but ofcourse

no motor, i have read about people putting the super detail bodies etc onto more modern railroad models,

so that one looks like one of those

I put the Super Detail Evening Star body of the Loco drive Railroad  Evening Star chassis as the lining etc was so much better on the Tender drive.  Body swapped straight over but I couldn't swap the cylinders for some reason so ended up with lousy cylinder lining.   Tender Drive Railroad hybrid went straight on eBay.  There is a limit to how many Evening Stars we need (one) and at one time had four