York Station and TMD

RailwaysInMyDNA

Hi all,

I'm pleased to say that my long held aim of building my dream layout is reaching the planning stage. Another house move has enabled the jump in scale from 00, as the indoor space available has dramatically increased!

I'm proposing to use part of my stable block, as a reduction in the number of horses and machinery has freed up usable covered space for a layout.

The building measures in the region of 45 feet by 12, and the fact that l intend loops at either end that extend beyond the walls, for a continuous type of configuration. So the overall length could be touching 75 or so feet.

My plan at the moment is to model the complex south approach from Holgate bridge to about the mid point of the curved train shed. All platforms might not be included, as the overall width might not be possible. This will become clearer when l've drawn up a scaled trackplan.

A fiddle yard will be included in the continuous run, hence available width will be at a premium. I'm proposing to board above the fiddle yard to provide sufficient room for York TMD and Leeman Road stabling point.

For the past couple of years l've been acquiring rolling stock and trackwork for the project. Time period for the layout is around 1970, so preTOPS, and will feature a mixture of BR green FYE and BR blue.

Current list:

Class 08 x 2 *
Class 20 x 2 *
Class 25 x 1
Class 31 x 4
Class 37 x 2
Class 40 x 2
Class 45 x 1
Class 50 x 1
Class 52 x 1
Class 55 x 4
Class 60 x 1

Mk1 BG x 8
Mk1 BSK x 3
Mk1 SK x 5
Mk1 TSO x 4
Mk1 FK x 2
Mk1 RMB x 3
GUV x 3

HAA x 12
Clay hoods x 12
Cargowaggon x 2
VAA x 5
Standard vans x 12
HTO x 5
16 ton x 11
20 ton brake van x 1
Grampus x 1

More items are on preorder.

As you can see, some items in the list don't quite fit. There will be a Cornish project in the future!

This is a mammoth undertaking, and will involve lots of building improvements/modifications before actual layout building can commence.

Updates aren't going to be numerous as my time at present is limited with other assignments, so please be patient. Planning will need doing carefully to make this work.

That's all for now.

Cheers, Paul.

• Like 8

Wow! Genuine good wishes with this project. I admire your ambition! 

Just a few thoughts immediately spring to mind. 

Are you building your own pointwork to fit in with the plan? I assume you're modelling the pre-electrification layout with lots of double slips etc...? 

Have you seen New Street in P4 - it used to have its own site and was being built by Jim Smith-Wright? It's very inspiring. 

The boards will be very wide - you'll need to plan ease of access very carefully! As an example a 4mm scale model of Waterloo Station including throat would need an area larger than a tennis court.... 

Really good luck with this - you have an awesome level of ambition! 

Cheers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodyfox said:

Wow! Genuine good wishes with this project. I admire your ambition! 

Just a few thoughts immediately spring to mind. 

Are you building your own pointwork to fit in with the plan? I assume you're modelling the pre-electrification layout with lots of double slips etc...? 

Have you seen New Street in P4 - it used to have its own site and was being built by Jim Smith-Wright? It's very inspiring. 

The boards will be very wide - you'll need to plan ease of access very carefully! As an example a 4mm scale model of Waterloo Station including throat would need an area larger than a tennis court.... 

Really good luck with this - you have an awesome level of ambition! 

Cheers 

I realise how much l've bitten off, but this is the big project to do justice to a favorite place that l've probably visited most years of my life. I'm in awe whenever admiring the fantastic engineering that went into such a grand building. I'll fit in as much as space allows, but only intend around half the station length. I certainly do remember the number of double slips! I actually reproduced York in BR days for Rail Simulator, which l sold through my business CreativeRail. 

Many thanks for the good wishes.

Cheers, Paul.

11 hours ago, RailwaysInMyDNA said:

I realise how much l've bitten off, but this is the big project to do justice to a favorite place that l've probably visited most years of my life. I'm in awe whenever admiring the fantastic engineering that went into such a grand building. I'll fit in as much as space allows, but only intend around half the station length. I certainly do remember the number of double slips! I actually reproduced York in BR days for Rail Simulator, which l sold through my business CreativeRail. 

Many thanks for the good wishes.

Cheers, Paul.

Are you aware of John Turner's Flickr collection? He has an excellent album of images of the area during the period. 

Oh, and based on your stock list - surely you need a few DMU's? 

Cheers 

• Like 1

Good luck with the project. A quick initial observation re. the list of locos, the ratio of 31s to 20s is the wrong way round, York had an allocation of 20s in 1970, and no class 31s. Lots of 47s there at the time too. The station pilot(s) at the time were 03s as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woodyfox said:

Are you aware of John Turner's Flickr collection? He has an excellent album of images of the area during the period. 

Oh, and based on your stock list - surely you need a few DMU's? 

Cheers 

I didn't recognise the name but recall him by his 53A Models username. Agreed, an absolute superb collection of my chosen time period.

I do have a dmu on pre-order and will need to add additional units later on.

To answer your earlier question about trackwork, l'll be looking at Marcway for pointwork initially, but will work through my trackplan when drawn up. One thing l can say is it won't be an exact replica, although l do aim to make it look authentic.

Cheers,

Paul.

1 hour ago, 50A55B said:

Good luck with the project. A quick initial observation re. the list of locos, the ratio of 31s to 20s is the wrong way round, York had an allocation of 20s in 1970, and no class 31s. Lots of 47s there at the time too. The station pilot(s) at the time were 03s as well.

Many thanks for your good wishes. I do get your valid point on 20's. I recall seeing an image showing an abundance of single 20's around the turntable in what is now the main hall of the NRM.

My choice of location was a battle between Hitchin and York. Both had their own merits and l took my time in making the final decision. 

Am l right in saying the 03 pilot had a match wagon, as did the Newcastle pilot?

6 hours ago, RailwaysInMyDNA said:

Am l right in saying the 03 pilot had a match wagon, as did the Newcastle pilot?

Yes they did, We photographed a couple but some years later in 1983. I'll leave it to others to let you know which locos and runners were in use during your period. 

Both were the chassis from demountable tank wagons for Crosfields

TDB749402   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brdemountable/e32058387 and more photos  use with 03-073 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/diesel03-04/e27d08546

TDB749411  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brdemountable/e2e0c027b  I suspect this isn't a runner, it wasn't with a loco and doesn't say it is a runner. What the TMD used it for I don't know. If there was another 03 present I don't appear to have photographed it. I didn't waste much film on locos everyone else did that. 

As can be seen both were different brake riggings.

I did climb up and take a couple of general views, probably from the tank wagon we were measuring.  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brerner/e52cb7c30  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brerner/e88c244e  

I had no idea I'd be living in York a dozen years later!

Paul

PS looking up BRDatabase suggests this was a York loco in your period but moved to Hull in 1972 and no mention of it returning. The loco is recorded as conserved at Crewe Heritage centre 

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, RailwaysInMyDNA said:

Many thanks for your good wishes. I do get your valid point on 20's. I recall seeing an image showing an abundance of single 20's around the turntable in what is now the main hall of the NRM.

My choice of location was a battle between Hitchin and York. Both had their own merits and l took my time in making the final decision. 

As Paul said above, the 03s always went around with a match wagon. D2063 was often the station pilot, it was an early air brake conversion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Yes they did, We photographed a couple but some years later in 1983. I'll leave it to others to let you know which locos and runners were in use during your period. 

Both were the chassis from demountable tank wagons for Crosfields

TDB749402   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brdemountable/e32058387 and more photos  use with 03-073 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/diesel03-04/e27d08546

TDB749411  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brdemountable/e2e0c027b  I suspect this isn't a runner, it wasn't with a loco and doesn't say it is a runner. What the TMD used it for I don't know. If there was another 03 present I don't appear to have photographed it. I didn't waste much film on locos everyone else did that. 

As can be seen both were different brake riggings.

I did climb up and take a couple of general views, probably from the tank wagon we were measuring.  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brerner/e52cb7c30  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brerner/e88c244e  

I had no idea I'd be living in York a dozen years later!

Paul

PS looking up BRDatabase suggests this was a York loco in your period but moved to Hull in 1972 and no mention of it returning. The loco is recorded as conserved at Crewe Heritage centre 

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the excellent wagon references. Your collection recording so much of Britain's railway heritage has been invaluable to me over the years and is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

• Agree 1

Just a little update.

I've put a plan into AnyRail that hopefully gives a good idea of the extent of what I intend to include in my interpretation of York Station southern approach.  I'm hoping that I can directly overlay which commercially available points will fit this plan.  There will be some omissions from this plan, due to cost and complexity, such as most of Holgate Junction, but the plan will hopefully still be convincing. 

Layout 1.png

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Since the steam shed and the diesel depot were north of the station, how do they fit into your plan?

What l'm hoping to do is board above the fiddle yard to gain the necessary space for the shed and fuelling point. There will be an operating well between the station approach and fiddle yard area. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Evening all.

There have been significant developments since my last update, in that huge decisions have taken place that have altered all my plans!

After careful negotiation (with the wife) and my offer to build stables away from our established stabling block, it means l now have a much larger footprint in which to build my project.

With this development in mind it has resulted in an ambtious plan to build an even bigger project, with the intention of opening it to the public!

After much deliberation and with the extra space becoming available my plan for York will not now go ahead.

What l now propose to build is a complete scale model of Doncaster station, under the umbrella of my business CreativeRail. Therefore, l won't continue this thread. Going forward l will start a new thread, but only when construction of the layout begins.

The scenic section will be in the region of some 70 feet, but much building alteration must happen to make this work.

I do apologise if this news disappoints some, as York remains very special to me and others but l hope that my interpretation of Doncaster will be impressive in this scale. The new thread will be a considerable length of time coming.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Edited by RailwaysInMyDNA
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I wish you the very best of luck with the project.

I love to see people being really ambitious and going for something spectacular and I am even more impressed when, like Heaton Lodge Junction, they see it through and that case in a very impressive timescale.

I have been helping a friend who is building Doncaster in 4mm scale, EM Gauge. The model, from Hexthorpe Bridge to North Bridge, scales at around 40ft of scenic section and is almost 6ft wide. Reaching the middle of that is tricky enough in 4mm so I will be interested to see how you manage in 7mm. Depending on your period, there is some really interesting but tricky pointwork to tackle. I built it all in EM Gauge and it was quite a challenge. There are very few "standard" LH or RH points and lots of fancy stuff. After the platforms were extended, much of the fancy stuff was replaced by rather simpler crossovers and points.

In the mid to late 1970s that was my top trainspotting place and I spent many a happy weekend or school holiday there, usually at the south end of Platform 1 standing next to the Deltics as they set off for London. Happy days!   

Doncaster?

Yes...base your model in the late 50's.:D

A1, A2, A3, A4, W1, A1/1, A2/1, A2/2, A 2/3, B1...and that's just for starters.

The only problem with Donny is that the shed is a mile south.

But there's the works entry where ex- works locos stood, and locos awaiting entry for repair or scrap.