New class 40?

aureol40012

• RMweb Gold

Seem to be they have tooled for a headlight fitted 40 so that they can do 40013 Andania as main-line running today and upgraded the chassis for two speakers and improved lighting on a PLux22 decoder. Other than that it seems that it is based on the current tooling. 

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Markwj said:

In the interview with Andy Y I think they described it as a warm over or soft upgrade or something like that, some parts have been done but it was a whole new retool only a few years ago (I think)!

I think this is the right video:

I think it is great they are doing this and I hope they do more in the future where the externals are adequate but DCC functionality is lacking.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I think this is the right video:

I think it is great they are doing this and I hope they do more in the future where the externals are adequate but DCC functionality is lacking.

Hopefully sales of the new 20, 24/1 and forthcoming 47 will encourage more developments along the same lines. Personally I'm hoping for a 42 next as most of the work has been already with the 43 :)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Hopefully sales of the new 20, 24/1 and forthcoming 47 will encourage more developments along the same lines. Personally I'm hoping for a 42 next as most of the work has been already with the 43 :)

Definitely agree! Would love to see that. Although the question is, whilst a nice model,is the 43 up to Bachmanns current tooling. I wonder if they decided on a 42 they’d do a ground up model unnecessarily. Also the 43s sold poorly with I think both batches being in the bargain bin. Do hope a definitive 42 comes out, with all other Uk ‘Warships’ done to a high standard. 

18 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Also the 43s sold poorly with I think both batches being in the bargain bin.

Yes I recall the 43s being sat there for ages, regularly discounted. Sometimes I expect stuff hanging around may just be an unpopular livery or something but these were quite short lived locos that were limited to one region IIRC, which probably doesn't help it.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2021 at 17:28, Class 158 productions said:

Definitely agree! Would love to see that. Although the question is, whilst a nice model,is the 43 up to Bachmanns current tooling. I wonder if they decided on a 42 they’d do a ground up model unnecessarily. Also the 43s sold poorly with I think both batches being in the bargain bin. Do hope a definitive 42 comes out, with all other Uk ‘Warships’ done to a high standard. 

On 21/09/2021 at 11:54, TomScrut said:

Yes I recall the 43s being sat there for ages, regularly discounted. Sometimes I expect stuff hanging around may just be an unpopular livery or something but these were quite short lived locos that were limited to one region IIRC, which probably doesn't help it.

I'd argue the opposite Tom. From 1967 to 1970 you argue the "43"s were more widely travelled with diagrammed work taking them to Shrewsbury, Market Drayton, Crewe and Bescot, as well as their normal Western Region empire.  Several people have mentioned their history on RMWeb so we don't need to do it again. I am still surprised Bachmann didn't do plugs for the moulds to produce the Swindon version (class 42) which I believe is basically the roof of the loco. Also wonder if, had they produced the "42" instead of the "43", whether the sales would have been more or less. As an LMR modeller I doubt I would have bought my pair.   

25 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I'd argue the opposite Tom. From 1967 to 1970 you argue the "43"s were more widely travelled with diagrammed work taking them to Shrewsbury, Market Drayton, Crewe and Bescot, as well as their normal Western Region empire.

Yes, but that is still a 3 year period and also not particularly well traveled compared to plenty of other locos, so whilst technically not limited to one region they still weren't well travelled IMO and even if you think that is well travelled it was only for a limited time. I am far from an expert on these things being out of era and region for me but I think that must be one of the reasons they seemed to hang about. If you compare to say the topic of this thread, the class 40, the 43's area of relevance is comparatively small.

• Agree 1