Improving a Tri-Ang water tower

Blackthorn

I think this is the correct place for this post.

I dug out one of my Tri- Ang water towers to try to improve it. The other one seems to be in perfect original condition so I will leave it alone.  This is  how it came out of the box, complete with a bad attempt at weathering when I was much younger....

SCAN0001.PDF

After a little work i  replaced both window bars, they didn't turn out well as expected.  They'll be facing the back of the layout so probably never seen. The next step is a clean up and a coat of red oxide primer.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what colours it should be painted?  I'm assuming the area around the windows should be red brick, but if anyone has suggestions the would be appreciated!

387141922_20210916_1551281547.jpg.13ae974dbce78e46d9bddf5f47c66f3a.jpg

Thanks.

Mark.  

20210914_141243.jpg

• Like 2

If you are still unhappy with the window frames, you might find some replacements of the right size at

https://yorkmodelrail.com/product-category/00-scale-ho-scale/windows-louvers-00-scale-ho-scale/page/2/

With the possible exception of the semi-circular arch above the windows, I reckon the tower is supposed to be stonework rather than brickwork, so whatever colour you paint it would depend entirely upon the nature of the stone wherever your layout is set.  Assuming that is somewhere around Bedminster, I would suggest a pale creamy-grey.

With regard to the brick window arches (and I'm not 100% convinced they really are supposed to be brick.  They look a bit too big for bricks, to my eye) I would think engineers blue bricks are more likely than red. Engineers blue are a very dark, almost black purplish-blue with a vaguely metallic sheen.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It will look better if you slightly vary the colour of the stone/brickwork. Lots of ways of doing it. My method is to first paint all bricks or stones in one colour, eg brick red. Let it dry. Then take something like a old but clean jar lid, put some of the brick red paint in the middle, then dabs of white, black, dark green and brown round the outside. Mix a spot of white with the red so it’s fractionally lighter, then paint a few bricks at random. Repeat with the black, green & brown. It might look  slightly overdone but don’t worry.

Next thin some mortar colour paint and brush it all over one side. Before it dries take some kitchen paper towel and rub it off all the brickwork leaving it just in the mortar courses. It doesn’t need to be perfect. Repeat on the other sides

Finally apply weathering which will tone it all down. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, ColinK said:

Next thin some mortar colour paint and brush it all over one side. Before it dries take some kitchen paper towel and rub it off all the brickwork leaving it just in the mortar courses. It doesn’t need to be perfect. Repeat on the other sides

The rubbing off method may not work too well as the mortar courses are raised on this model. Dry brushing may work though.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm finally working on it again after a stint in hospital.

I'm trying to get the colour of the blue brick right, it looks too dark. There isn't too much to go on on this side of the pond. it's  case of experimentation as no no-one can ship paint here any more .

• 1 month later...