GWR Dean 40ft Pass Brake van at Nottingham Victoria in 1928

Rail-Online

2 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

Another 'edge of neg' gem.  I have never seen branding like this before, and why on earth would it be at Nott Vic? Lots of these had their duckets removed in the grouping period, perhaps this only started in the 1930s?

Tony

GWR 40ft PBV Nottingham Victoria 1928.jpg

Cigarette traffic from John Player's factory for GW buffets, perhaps? Or new table linen for refreshment rooms?

I know there was a daily Siphon diagram from Nottingham to Neyland, but have never seen any reference as to what that might have been carrying.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Cigarette traffic from John Player's factory for GW buffets, perhaps? Or new table linen for refreshment rooms?

I know there was a daily Siphon diagram from Nottingham to Neyland, but have never seen any reference as to what that might have been carrying.

Originating from Nottingham loaded it would have been tobacco; it it had been loaded in the opposite direction it would have been fish.  iI it was loaded in both directions one can only hope that it had a very thorough cleaning before being reloaded in Nottingham ;)

• Like 4

On 20/09/2021 at 10:27, Rail-Online said:

Lots of these had their duckets removed in the grouping period, perhaps this only started in the 1930s?

I think it varied, and depended on the state of the ducket. If it was bit rotten, it was removed and plated, if it was still structurally sound, there wasn't any urgency to change it. I think most duckets had gone by the mid-30s, but that is a generalisation. The vehicle is a diagram K4 I think.

• Like 2