Broad Street NLR Goods Yard And Container Terminal

Kirby Uncoupler

Hi Everyone,

We've all seen the sad photos and film footage of the decaying Broad Street passenger station, but far less is known about the three sections of split-level goods yard, the goods warehouses, and the tracks under the platforms. At the southernmost end was the general goods yard on two levels, with rail access to perimeter warehoues via hoists and wagon turntables. I found out recently, that this area was devastated by fire in 1952, and presumably ceased to operate, does anyone know of a precise date of closure? Platforms 1 to 8 in the passenger station were covered by the two overall roofs, but a ninth platform was added outside of the train shed, on the west side adjacent to the goods yard upper level, this seems to have been used until the end of the 60s, it was also electrified at some stage, again does anyone have exact dates?

Moving slightly north, again on the west side adjacent to the station throat, was a second section of split level yard, separated by Primrose Street and Worship Street, does anyone know what was handled here originally? In later years it became a LMS container terminal, complete with gantry crane, judging by photos, this stayed in use until the late 60s, before being cleared away, again exact dates? Remarkably, the low-level inset tracks here survived the demolition of the main station in 1986, and could be viewed from Apollo Street, through a wire mesh fence c.1987-90, but were eventually cleared and built upon, as a later stage of development. 

On the north side of Worship Street, was a third section of split-level yard with hoists, maps have it marked as a LNWR coal yard, I have no idea when this was closed, and the tracks removed? In recent years this area has been used as ground-level sports centre, with tennis courts and even a small golf range!

Again judging by photos, big changes seem to have been made around 1970, including track and signal rationalization, until then Broad Street had a peculiar arrangement of combined Home and Starter arms for each platform, perhaps because of the loco stabling sidings, this was simplified to the conventional Starter only, and a few platforms were by now out of use, including the exterior Platform 9. This platform was now bricked-off and removed, along with the upper-deck of the adjacent goods yard, the resulting open ground became a NCP car park. Can anybody add further details please?

Cheers, Brian.

I worked in Worship Street from 1966 to 1970. The container yard with it’s overhead gantry crane was in use in the early years but I cannot recall a closure date. I remember the Scammel three-wheeler road trucks delivering the containers. Also the yard workers riding on the top of the containers being hoisted from the high level rail wagon down to ground level. The ground level lines parallel to Appold Street were OOU at the time I was there. These went through timber solid gates where they crossed Pindar and Primrose Streets, and I never saw them opened. A bit of an industrial waste land at the time with derelict warehouses,etc.

A long time ago in a very different world….sigh!

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

Many Thanks to Michael and Paul,

The link to the signalling site was very useful, as were the on-the-spot late-60s reminiscences. I have found a pic on Flickr, showing an EMU on the exterior Platform 9, and the upper-deck of the LNWR goods yard to the right, with a selection of wagons in the mid-to-late 1960s. The inclusion of the container wagon, might suggest it was latterly used as an overflow for the container terminal? The container traffic presumably died off, when superseded by the Freightliner yards at York Way/Maiden Lane (1965-70), and Wembley (late 60s onwards)? I would imagine all traditional container traffic at Broad Street was to/from the LMR, any traffic from the ER is doubtful.

Would I be right in assuming freight traction in BR days would be Jinty and 4F steam locos, followed by Classes 15, 20, 24 and 25 in the diesel period, with a 350hp shunter (Class 08) based in the yard?

BR class 501 at Broad Street station

The running rails on the above photo of Platform 9 look shiny enough, suggesting frequent use, however less so for the slightly rusty conductor rails, which suggests less frequent use by EMUs. Until the 60s, this platform was usually host to the peak-hour loco-hauled trains to/from Tring LMR. Written evidence has suggested that Platform 9 was of all-timber construction, yet they look like paving slabs here?

Having checked the maps, Skinner Street was at some stage, renamed Pindar Street, presumably to avoid confusing with another Skinner Street a mile away in the borough of Finsbury, now Islington. However, to add to the confusion, the Skinner Street signal box, outside Broad Street, was never renamed.

The same map (Disused Stations and NLS sites) doesn't show any tracks across Pindar, Primrose or Worship Streets on the level, could they have been added later to increase flexibility, or were there any rail crossings under the main railway viaduct? (Things are getting even more complicated) 

What I have never seen, and which would be most useful, is a plan of the hidden lower level tracks, the curved loop by Appold Street, with a hoist at the north-east end, seems to be pointing south, as if to cross Primrose Street under the arches, or is it just the return wagon loop from a shunting neck? Perhaps a low-level plan was produced at the time of construction (1865)?

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Kirby Uncoupler
Add info
  • Like 1

Some Broad Street  references on this thread page:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107070-lt-kings-cross-mystery-tunnel/page/8/&tab=comments#comment-4090314

Thread includes link to useful OS:  https://maps.nls.uk/view/103313324

Britain from Above:   https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW011198

As noted in that past thread, a great-Grandfather and Grandfather of mine worked at Broad Street Goods, probably up to about 1950.  No recollections or information handed down, alas.  I do know that my grandfather had use of a 'railway' flat in a street close to the yard, which was handy for shift work having been relocated far out of London after bombing in East London.

I always like to find out what work and life was like for my forbears but haven't found much.  I was told that there were one or two articles on Broad Street Goods in the LMS house journal in the mid-1930s - haven't had opportunity to follow up as yet.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was a regular visitor to Broad Street in the 1980s as the final run down approached. Over many years of trying to piece together the decline I have established that:

- The concourse ticket office was opened in 1956 allowing closure of the main buildings to public use (although the refreshment room appears to have been in use until at least 1960) 

- Dalston East junction was taken out in 1966 and the running lines into Broad St reduced to three tracks (the NLL electrified pair and a reversable goods)

- the overall roof was cut back in 1967

- the goods yard (the one adjacent to platform 9) was closed in 1969; the reversable goods line was also closed and this allowed Platform 9 to be closed and bricked off, the upper deck of the goods yard to be demolished and the track rationalised to leave 5 platforms in use (the former platforms 4-8)

- once the GN services were withdrawn in 1976, platform 5 (the former platform 4) was disconnected

- some time after the diversion of the NLL Richmond service to North Woolwich in May 1985, all but Platform 2 (the former Platform 7) were taken out of use. Late '85/early '86 the tracks were lifted except the line for Platform 2 cut back to the country end to allow demolition of the main station building

- station closed after the last train on 28 June 1986

Edited by andyman7
  • Informative/Useful 4

I don’t recall street level tracks across Worship Street.

The Pindar and Primrose Street crossings were under the viaduct so won’t show on OS maps. Might there be some railway drawings in NRM or TNA? 
Paul

Edited by pb_devon
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the replies so far, two more bits of info to add, one is that the open ground near Worship Street. that was being used as a sports ground, now appears to have been built on. All that's left of the approach formation towards Broad Street station now, are the two short sections of original viaduct, either side of Great Eastern Street. North of there is the modern curved concrete viaduct link to the East London Line, and then back to the original viaduct going north beyond that. The only recognizable lineside building from the old days, adjacent to the station throat, is the large electricity switching/sub station on the west side north of Worship Street, all else has been wiped away, such is the value of land in this area.

The other snippet of info, is that the 1980s film "Mona Lisa", starring my old neighbour Bob Hoskins (when I lived in Holloway), was filmed in Pindar Street, across the girder bridges, and under the NLR arches, doubling as the sticky pavements of the King's Cross red light district, which was viewed as "too lively" for filming. I haven't seen the film for years, i'll try and watch it soon, you never know, it might show those doors under the arches, or even some inlaid track, amongst the "ladies of the night" actors and extras? Did I say extras darlin'?

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Kirby Uncoupler
Add info
  • Like 3