Farnham & District MRC Annual Exhibition at Aldershot: 9th and 10th October 2021

jbe

The Farnham & DIstrict MRC plans to hold its annual exhibition in Aldershot on 9th and 10th October. The exhibition will be held in the usual place, Alderwood Leisure Centre, Tongham Road, Aldershot, GU12 4AS. Directions here.

Opening times are Saturday 10am to 5pm and Sunday 10am to 4.30pm. Tea and coffee will be available from 9.30am. We have made the aisles a little wider than usual, to aid social distancing, which means there will be slightly fewer traders than in previous years, but we still will have about 20 plus a similar number of layouts. We will be leaving doors open to aid ventilation; if the weather is poor it may be a little chilly in the halls, so wrap up!

Admission: Adults £6.00, Children £2.00, Family £15.00.

The layouts on show are:

Bridgwater S&DJR (7mm)

Canalside Ironworks (1:50)

Chateau Migraine (H0)

Cheffley (00)

Croft Spa (N)

Elbow Lane (00)

Foston Mills (0)

Greenfield Sidings (00)

Hampton End (G)

Haydon Square (0)

Johnstown Road (0)

Kaninchenbau (H0e)

Mannin Middle (00n3)

Neely (N)

Pwllheli (P4)

Pontfadog (2mm scale, 5mm gauge)

River Crane Mill (009)

Scorbiton (00)

Wisteria Collop (009)

Yellow Ridge Mine (1:24)

More details on the layouts here .

List of traders here .

Julian

• Like 1

Croft Spa is under test as I write this.  Spiders evicted and cobwebs removed, and the layout ran on first asking.  Just 24 trains of wheel cleaning and test running to complete....

20190831_161533.jpg.19d1acf07e97aa1247727bc6ae35c3b3.jpg

20190831_161425.jpg.088c6a4c85d980249c263f10ab6f8440.jpg

Looking forward to it.  Mr Simon has even finished his 4-car 108 set specially (to run the opposite train to the 8-car 101 buffet train).

Les

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the Farnham Club show is being held this weekend (9th and 10th October) in Aldershot (as usual). In case anyone is wondering, payment on the door can be contactless or cash.

Julian

Edited by jbe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Should be coming along on the Sunday, along with my Dad and nephew. First show visit since February 2020, looking forward to it.

• Like 1

We had an excellent day today - meeting many old friends not seen for at least 18 months. While the attendance has been good it was never crowded today because of the extra wide aisles, which got a lot of positive comments. There are some wonderful pieces of modelling in many gauges and scales ranging from small gems to three epic layouts, so something for most people.

Tomorrow we do it again from 10.00 till 16.30. All welcome.

Julian

Yes, I thought the layouts were excellent, although perhaps an over representation of narrow gauge? 

I took the bike on the train in the belief that petrol might be a problem, however whilst the BP near the venue didn't have any, two more I cycled past between station and venue had both petrol, diesel and no queues.

Jon

• Like 1

Very good show. As said above, not too crowded a few traders less, well ventilated and a chance to say hello to few old faces.

Lots of lovely layouts and it was difficult to choose the best. But standing out were Bridgwater...for decent sound effects. Especially the clunking from the signal box. 

Canalside, nice beam engine and a clever way of dealing with the background.

Elbow lane, (see above). Nice compact layout and I shall take some ideas from it. 

Kaninchenbau, for the large number of trains running at one time, with only one operator. A clever use of computer control to create a very interesting layout.

This is not to detract form the other layouts, it's just that these stood out to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went today and was most impressed. Not a lot of people though.

Bridgewater was the standout in an island of three extraordinarily good layouts, Scorbiton , Johnston Road and Bridgewater. Those three were worth the journey but it was at the back of my mind that the site of Bridgewater is now a Sainsbury's car park!

A very good show.

Edited by PenrithBeacon

2 hours ago, brightspark said:

Very good show. As said above, not too crowded a few traders less, well ventilated and a chance to say hello to few old faces.

Lots of lovely layouts and it was difficult to choose the best. But standing out were Bridgwater...for decent sound effects. Especially the clunking from the signal box. 

Canalside, nice beam engine and a clever way of dealing with the background.

Elbow lane, (see above). Nice compact layout and I shall take some ideas from it. 

Kaninchenbau, for the large number of trains running at one time, with only one operator. A clever use of computer control to create a very interesting layout.

This is not to detract form the other layouts, it's just that these stood out to me.

Elbow Lane and Yellow Ridge Uranium Mine were my personal highlights, as well as Pontfadog - a bit too small a scale for my liking but full of admiration of the skills required.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who came along, especially those who posted here - comments will be passed on. As expected (and budgetted for) numbers were down, but there was lots of appreciation for the wider aisles and generally increased space. Most importantly, visitors, exhibitors and traders went away happy, and glad to have been to a general model railway show again; also the raffle of a layout in aid of a local hospice generated a significant donation.

Roll on the 2022 exhibition!

Julian

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in collating information from recent shows about attendance, compared with pre-Covid years.   The aim would be to help inform other clubs about what to expect or plan for when reaching decisions.   Can you quantify anything from the Farnham Show please e.g. the percentage change in attendance compared with the last equivalent show?  Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen Wolstenholme