Bagnall 0-4-0ST 6” GA?

AndyH

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of a source of a good large scale 2ft ish Bagnall 0-4-0ST 6” GA please? 

Not the larger 7” such as Peter, the Mercedes type such as Forward, Pixie, and Wendy.

I know of Bill Strickland’s sketch in The Narrow Gauge no. 89 but haven’t seen anything detailed you could really scale off (my odd 12mm/1ft narrow gauge odyssey). Staff’s archives are a long trek away from me, and unlike Reading’s Museum of Rural Life archive for John Fowler, the web information appears limited.

Many thanks for any pointers

Andy

Thanks Gordon,

I know there is an intro to the records here,Staffs archives, and for a search fee of £32/hr I could ask an archivist to search, which would be a costly game of roulette. My problem is getting up there to do it myself, hence asking if anyone knows of another published source.

I barely cross the Tamar now, let alone make the interplanetary trek to Stafford!

Andy 

There's a Bagnall GA of the Pekoe Tip 0-4-2ST variant in Baker & Civil's Bumper Book of Bagnall, but it's reproduced relatively small and as a colour image, so the printing screen makes most of the detail and dimensions unreadable.....

Edited by Krusty
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

You might find it worthwhile reading through my notes on this link. Although they deal most thoroughly with the 7" version, there is information as to how the 6" (and indeed 5") versions varied according to the epoch of construction (of which there were four). At a glance all 6" versions look alike bar the three versions of valve-gear and customer specified details, but in fact there were other significant build-date variations too, not quite as significant as those which affected the 7" locos (frame length remained unaltered, for example), but still significant and difficult to pick up from photos unless you know what you are looking for.

I suspect that the only Bagnall-produced GA was for an Epoch I loco and all subsequent variations were covered by detail drawings, or even just instructions, alone.

• Thanks 1