Starting a boxfile layout

keithp

Hello

Thought I would have a go at a box file layout, but have a question for you. What is the best way to cut these box files? I have got three from WH Smiths and am not sure if it is thin wood or cardboard, so wondered if you use a saw(?) or stanley knife?

Could anyone advise please.

Keith

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, keithp said:

Hello

Thought I would have a go at a box file layout, but have a question for you. What is the best way to cut these box files? I have got three from WH Smiths and am not sure if it is thin wood or cardboard, so wondered if you use a saw(?) or stanley knife?

Could anyone advise please.

Keith

Hi Keith, are you able to take a photo and upload it - there are several different types of boxfiles.  As you say, some are cardboard, some have hardboard or maybe thin MDF strengtheners, and I've got a couple with plastic bases (used for files, not layouts).  Someone may recognise the ones you have. Just a thought, Keith (another).

Here are the photos from Smiths.

A piece of the covering has come off from one edge and it looks like thin wood - but not sure. I was going to try sawing that corner - but just wondered what other people have used.

1712258564_boxfile1.jpg.5bf6e32f90905a5c847d820677ea09a2.jpg848430656_boxfile2.jpg.baae7cea7d71a9376fd5d1a384b38c39.jpg

Edited by keithp

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, keithp said:

Ok Cheers. Thanks. By the way, did you glue two together or use bolts?

Keith

Keith I only used one boxfile for my layout. When you come to lay your track I would recommend glueing some 3mm ply to the inside of the boxfile. 

This will stop any warping when you add ballast.

Keith, I am using a similar box file at the moment. I used both a knife and saw to ‘deconstruct’ mine. Be aware that the more you cut off, the less rigid it becomes of course. I am getting towards the end of the construction stage and fixed my track to ply a little smaller in dimensions than the file. This avoided the bottom going soggy - cos we all know there is nothing worse than a soggy bottom! A smaller ply base allows a back scene to slide into the back and sides. Building onto a ply base allows you to do lots of construction/electrics/scenic work and then you can place the base into the box file. If you want to see my first box file google M & J Brewery Sidings and hopefully the pictures will be there. Enjoy building your micro layout.