LNWR and MR join station somewhere?

Guest WM183

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Hi Reorte,

Oh deffo! I plan to freelance my station a bit. I have learned for example that Tilbury tanks only were used around London, yet I may have them show up anyway, even if my layout is "Somewhere in the Industrial North". I'll come up with a plausible, but fictional, location and track plan, and now I need to find some 1/43 minis of Edwardian-period peoples.

Ee!

Amanda

The Midland did try out Tilbury tanks in one or two places after 1912 but without much success and in LMS days they were often stored out of use at various ex-Midland sheds. 

Definitely outside the terminus requirement but the LNWR had a loco shed at Derby alongside the lines heading towards Birmingham,  Maybe associated with the Leicester line mentioned earlier in this topic . The loco shed fell into disuse after the grouping and was demolished in 1933/34.

Edited by DonB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, DonB said:

Definitely outside the terminus requirement but the LNWR had a loco shed at Derby alongside the lines heading towards Birmingham,  Maybe associated with the Leicester line mentioned earlier in this topic 

I think primarily for the South Staffordshire line to Walsall and Dudley, via Burton and Wichnor Junction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP could go (tongue in cheek) big and model Manchester London Road. The Midland used the station courtesy of the MS&L from 1867 to 1880, but it was a  very different station to the present one! I believe there are plans in the Manchester Record Office.

Not a post to be taken too seriously.

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, WM183 said:

Oh deffo! I plan to freelance my station a bit. I have learned for example that Tilbury tanks only were used around London,

The clue being in the name, as they were built for the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway, which the Midland bought in 1912.

However, they will have been in close(ish) proximity to various LNWR locos in London’s docks, and later in life one of them at least appeared on the Uppingham branch in Rutland, previously a haunt of worn-out LNWR relics.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, WM183 said:

Hi Reorte,

Oh deffo! I plan to freelance my station a bit. I have learned for example that Tilbury tanks only were used around London, yet I may have them show up anyway, even if my layout is "Somewhere in the Industrial North".

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Midland did try out Tilbury tanks in one or two places after 1912 but without much success and in LMS days they were often stored out of use at various ex-Midland sheds. 

And they got to more places in BR days - Dundee, anyone? See the allocations here:

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=444254&type=S&page=alloc

To be fair, they didn’t last very long at Dundee and then spent years in store at Carlisle Durranhill:

https://flic.kr/p/2hCAyJN

https://flic.kr/p/2hCxFU7

But others did get to the East Midlands and stayed there for several years (see allocation data above.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One option that hasn't appeared in the discussion is Ingleton. The Midland and LNWR formed an end on junction here. The rivalry meant they operated their own stations in the village, but it wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination to see them working a joint station. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Argos said:

it wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination to see them working a joint station. 

Not sure about that! It wasn't until the LMS was formed that the Midland station was closed, notwithstanding the cooperation of the two companies from 1908.

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not sure about that!

Nor am I, fractious doesn't come close. I did consider it before suggesting Blackburn but now have suggested Coalville in Leicestershire, the OP wanted grot and there was/still is plenty around the area. And of course both the MR and LNWR were present, albeit at 2 different stations but not far apart.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not sure about that! It wasn't until the LMS was formed that the Midland station was closed, notwithstanding the cooperation of the two companies from 1908.

Co-location was forced by local authorities in some areas, New Street being one example and to some degree Buxton, however a degree of pragmatism did exist prior to 1908. The joint shunt arrangement at Buxton bears witness to this. Each company took turns to shunt the yards by the station on a 6 month rotation. 

We are after all twisting history to fit the scenario given. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Tilbury tanks did work in the Buxton area but not until after grouping. The Rowsley shed had an allocation to work local passanger trains in the late 20s early 30s. The engines were not well liked and soon moved away. Again another option to tweak history. 

It depends on how historically accurate you wish to be. 

• Like 1

Oh that station is gorgeous. I may have to see if I can make a backdrop / low relief model of part of that somehow, or at least something in it's vein. This thread has really taken off! Thank you so much folks, most of this is very new to me.

Amanda

On 24/09/2021 at 15:53, WM183 said:

Oh that station is gorgeous. I may have to see if I can make a backdrop / low relief model of part of that somehow, or at least something in it's vein. This thread has really taken off! Thank you so much folks, most of this is very new to me.

Amanda

The thing, always, to bear in mind is who built a given stretch of line and when.  Both the origin of the station in question - it could have been  built by a constituent of the Midland, or LNWR or any such company - or its time of building may represent the tenure of a particular architect or prevalence of a particular style.  Thus, a particular style may apply to, say, just four or five stations on a stretch of line, sometimes more, sometimes less, but never very many. 

Some examples, generally from later in the Nineteeenth Century, show one of the larger companies building to a style more widely across their systems.  Well-known examples would be the sectional buildings used by the LNWR or the 'standard' style evolved by the Great Western at the turn of the century. The North Eastern, for instance, had an architect called Andrews, and his designs could be found on several stretches of line in different parts of the NER system, or randomly elsewhere in the case of a station that was remodelled.

Thus, in many ways that version of Tamworth station is a good bet, because it was purpose built to be shared by the two companies you are interested in.  On the other hand, it is the product of a particular set of circumstances at a particular time (1840s, when this Elizabethan/Jacobean revival style was quite popular for stations), so, if not modelling  Tamworth itself, but a fictional MR/LNWR station, I'd ask myself if it was reasonable to suppose that we might imagine another such station in this style for these companies at this date.

I say this because your idea might be for a station at which both the MR and LNWR trains call, whereas Tamworth's 1847 station was built to serve two different lines that crossed each other at this point (See Map). 

The first line built here was the north-south Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway (MR).  The the LNWR Trent Valley line was built east-west and passed underneath the Midland.  

Here is the platform side as built in 1847:

1280px-The_Tamworth_Station.jpg.e293a75ba61f5f6d5a4768e0208836ff.jpg

Morons demolished it in the 1960s.

So, strictly, for the Tamworth building to fit, similar circumstances at a similar period would need to be imagined, and, as the style is governed by period and the commissioning companies, not any regional vernacular, those fictional circumstances do not need to arise in the vicinity of Tamworth, or even Staffordshire!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The stations on the Trent Valley Line are by John William Livock, who was the architect of many LNWR station buildings, especially in Northants, in the 1840s and 50s. His Trent Valley stations - such as Atherstone and Polesworth as well as Tamworth - are perhaps his best work.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The stations on the Trent Valley Line are by John William Livock, who was the architect of many LNWR station buildings, especially in Northants, in the 1840s and 50s. His Trent Valley stations - such as Atherstone and Polesworth as well as Tamworth - are perhaps his best work.

Talking of vandalism, Bridge Street station building in Northampton was demolished, to make way for nothing.

(The nearby MR engine shed, however, survived in use by the DCE and is now the students’ union building for the relocated UoN.)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Talking of vandalism, Bridge Street station building in Northampton was demolished, to make way for nothing.

(The nearby MR engine shed, however, survived in use by the DCE and is now the students’ union building for the relocated UoN.)

True enough - I should have used the past tense for all but Atherstone. Comes of thinking in c. 1902 much of the time!

• Like 1