Triang Restoration of Tatty Examples

russell price

I have been going through my extensive Triang Hornby fleet servicing and remagging where needed, ive also been tidying up chipped paintwork with black paint or relining boiler bands where needed, however several of the Princess Fleet , Victorias , Green Lizzies and Red Royals could do with the tender and cabside lining renewing. Does anyone do repro lining kits for theese as they were not tampo printed?? Also cabside lining numbers for Britannia?? Does anyone have a spare set of the alternative names and cabside numbers as ive several Britannias, maybe one of the options supplied in the early 70s?? I have Oliver Cromwell though. There are people on that auction site doing repro stuff and ive used several items, howver i would like to tidy up the princesses if possible! They all run so well still

Try coloured sticky back plastic. Cut as fine as you need. Orange, red, black and white are available and once on, they stick better the more you handle them. Or, paint sellotape, stuck to a smooth, clean surface, and then cut with a scalpel to the thickness you need. Alternatively, buy a cheap bow pen, (around £2), and line by hand. I mark, with a hard pencil, the lines and then draw along a ruler held with a little blu-tac. Mix a little Humbrol in a small lid, thinned if necessary, and set your bow pen's nib to the thickness you require. Practise on a piece of tape and you will soon find it is as easy as using a biro. You could go down the H.M.R.S. transfers route but they are expensive and need varnishing to fix for any length of time. Hope these are useful. I use the bow pen now. Check out my "What to do with Triang Princesses" thread to get an idea of the results I'M happy with! :locomotive:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The main problem with lining transfers aimed at the ”scale” market, HMRS, Fox, etc. Is that they are a bit too fine to match Tri-ang / Hornby lining. And they have all the colours, a lot of the Tri-ang  / Hornby locos have simplified lining, down to a single orange/ yellow line on later models.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Tri-ang used transfers or heat printing at various times in the '60s and '70s. My early 1970s Brit had single orange lining on the cabsides and tender, but early '60s examples had double lining.

Tampo came in the later '70s though it had been around at least a decade before Hornby began using it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi,

Unfortunately the person I used to get my a lot of my Triang lining sets from passed away a couple of years ago. Fortunately i had a decent stock in. But they have now nearly all been used. But you may still be able to get some off Ebay if you are lucky. Search for LHP transfers or for the full name Laurence Hogg Productions. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

You could buy a Dapol "Evening Star" kit, make it, paint it black, cut up the cab side numerals to re-number, eg 92022 and you are left with...................cab side lining and tender lining you can adapt for the princess. ;)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, 33C said:

You could buy a Dapol "Evening Star" kit, make it, paint it black, cut up the cab side numerals to re-number, eg 92022 and you are left with...................cab side lining and tender lining you can adapt for the princess. ;)

Hi all again,

33C thanks for reminding me. Dapol do sell the transfers for their model engines separately.  The cost is £1.50 per set plus p+p. I have bought several off them over the past year. So you can get the Evening Star transfers that way.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all again,

33C thanks for reminding me. Dapol do sell the transfers for their model engines separately.  The cost is £1.50 per set plus p+p. I have bought several off them over the past year. So you can get the Evening Star transfers that way.

I did not know that, very useful! :D

• Agree 2

It depends on whether it really matters to you if the end result is indistinguishable from the original or not.  I have used Fox lining on my restored Hornby Dublo locomotives and I'm happy with the result.  You do have to replace all the lining rather than just the damaged bits though, or else the difference will be noticeable.

I have tried overlays on locomotives but found that the point where the overlay ends and paintwork begins is invariably visible.  Overlays are fine for passenger and goods stock, when they cover the entire side, but I prefer to use transfers for locomotives.

Edited by Wolseley
fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Interestingly, the later R.50 Black Princess Victoria locos had a transfer overlay for the tender lining, that included the black area inside the lining, and the later BR crest, all in one piece.

Earlier models had the lining and early, and some the late, BR crest as separate items.

The transfers on these earlier models are more susceptible to damage, in part due to their having two edges to wear away, and catch on things.

The tenders do get a lot of handling, right where the transfers are.

Making the lining and inside, complete with BR crest, as one piece lessens the number of edges to wear, etc. It does seem to work as well.

Black is probably an easier colour to match as well…as far as I know, Tri-ang Railways didn’t do the same with the lining and crests on the R.53 Green or R.258 Maroon Princess locos.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo

Hi Russell,

The older Triang engines can be made very presentable. In fact the Covid lock down was what gave me the impetus to work on mine. And I must say I was very happy with the results.

Here are a few of them I have done mostly in the past 18 months for you to see just what can be achieved with the minimum amount of talent I have. Some have been modified and some I have tried to restore to original condition. Admittedly they are a mix of Triang, Hornby Dublo and Wrenn. But all at least 50 years old

DSC_0546.JPG

DSC_0535.JPG

post-21711-0-96153400-1438377889.jpg

DSC_1081.JPG

DSC_0959.JPG

DSC_0980.JPG

DSC_1027.JPG

post-21711-0-85862400-1446987475.jpg

DSC_0988.JPG

post-21711-0-83918500-1437836896.jpg

DSC_1043.JPG

A4 Mallard 2.jpg