Green double arrow. (Eco green, not double arrows on green locos!)

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

Linked to in that item is First Group's new cheapo London to Edinburgh open access service "Lumo"

What's the point when it all becomes Great British Railways next year?

Edited by melmerby

23 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Linked to in that item is First Group's new cheapo London to Edinburgh open access service "Lumo"

What's the point when it all becomes Great British Railways next year?

:offtopic:

Only the franchised operators will be subsumed, presumably? The open access operators such as Lumo are private entities which buy paths and access from NR (to become GBR), but to government has no control over them unless it decides to buy them out on commercial terms.

The green arrow isn't especially brilliant - would look ok if it were all one shade. But if they're going to use the arrows as a promotional tool then it'll probably be coloured in various patterns over the coming months and years.

• newbryford changed the title to Green double arrow. (Eco green, not double arrows on green locos!)
  • RMweb Gold

Out of all the things wrong with the railway this is not one them and is just a complete waste of money 

Interesting that the image they use is not the correct double arrow as on the really thing the diagonal lines are not parallel.  It's actually quite a complex shape 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, russ p said:

Out of all the things wrong with the railway this is not one them and is just a complete waste of money 

Interesting that the image they use is not the correct double arrow as on the really thing the diagonal lines are not parallel.  It's actually quite a complex shape 

On the original logo the diagonal lines are at the same angle to the horizontal lines, which would make them parallel.

One of the many things that is wrong with the multi-green logo is that the diagonal lines above and below the horizontal lines are too long, which is why it looks wrong shape-wise.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

On the original logo the diagonal lines are at the same angle to the horizontal lines, which would make them parallel.

The two edges of the outer diagonal lines are not parallel. I remember an in-depth article about BR's Corporate Image in Rail News in the 1970s, complete with a dimensioned drawing of the double arrow, and a description of why it was drawn like this. Apparently, if the edges were drawn parallel, then the lines would appear to taper slightly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Jeremy C said:

The two edges of the outer diagonal lines are not parallel. I remember an in-depth article about BR's Corporate Image in Rail News in the 1970s, complete with a dimensioned drawing of the double arrow, and a description of why it was drawn like this. Apparently, if the edges were drawn parallel, then the lines would appear to taper slightly.

Understood - it’s in the difference between a line and an edge.

Cheers

Darius

5 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I thought this was going to be a thread about which locos carried the double arrow whilst still in green....

Me too, but never mind, it's been well covered elsewhere.....

4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Not the first time the double arrow has been recoloured.  This is from a very short lived campaign a couple of years ago that fizzled out very quick:

20210922_150328.jpg.5727e848856e52381f669192b7b2c5ef.jpg

This looks familiar, I'm sure I have one somewhere!

I would have thought that the public unveiling happened with XP64 in July 1964, but I suppose that was more a reaction tester. AFAICT the first locomotive to have the logo applied was new-build Class 73 E6012 in December 1965. Interesting that Gerry Barney thought a full-time height logo visible a mile away would look "bloody great", and so perhaps surprising that the article makes no mention that it did eventually happen - a pity that it was relatively short-lived as I thought it looked "bloody great" too Gerry! I think my first sight of one was 50012 'Benbow' at Swindon in July 1981.

But PLEASE, not in five shades of green :swoon:

For a logo which appears so simple it is surprisingly difficult to draw accurately - get those angles, lengths and/or tapers even slightly wrong and it instantly looks.......well, wrong! 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I do think that this forum is stuck in 1955 and it's members want the railway to fail....

Does anyone ever have a good word to say about the railway nowadays?

Simon

Lots of good words but why waste a lot of money altering an instantly recognisable symbol that survived 20+ years of privatisation and is still a simple and clean piece of modernist design? 

The multi colour version won’t work from a distance as well as a one colour shape, it breaks up the simple shape that is what you need to catch when registering signs quickly as you approach a station. 
Look at the McDonalds golden arch or the Apple apple and see how they manage alone, simple shapes in a single colour. 

;) 

• Agree 6

Is not really worth getting worked up over. It'll be another short lived variation on the classic logo, this time to emphasize rails green credentials.

The white on red and red on white versions will in all likelihood remain the definitive versions - all that signage at stations, on road signs, Google maps etc... The fact that that is so burned into our minds means that they can mess about with it in this manner to add "adjectives" to the "noun" of the shape.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Lots of good words but why waste a lot of money altering an instantly recognisable symbol that survived 20+ years of privatisation and is still a simple and clean piece of modernist design?

How else would all the design consultants make a fortune? Remember the debacle over the London Olympics logo? Or 'Consignia'? Quite a few other examples of rebrandings that failed miserably and ended up going back to the previous, well recognised, versions.