OO Gauge Outdoor Underlay and removable track section "joints"

Hi, I have a couple of querys regarding learning points from my OO gauge outdoor layout. Firstly the track is pinned to plyboard through roofing felt, The trains are rough riding  in places, is it possible to use an outdoor tolerant underlay and what type would this be? noise is not an issue but I would like to make the running smoother and avoid some of the pitching and rolling that is going on. Secondly I have 3 removable sections spanning paths. Originally I cut the track across the gap but as all 3 have bends at some point close to or on the lift out sections this caused immediate problems. I've relayed the track now cutting  it on the adjacent board and pinning it whilst in place, this has improved matters but I experiencing some poor running and derailments. Is it possible to screw the track down so that its easier to remove without having to pick trackpins out or is there a way of linking 2 sections which I don't know about?

Thanks

Stephen

Sounds like you have an indoor layout in the garden.  Mine has its sleepers embedded in concrete for much of its length and doesn't give much trouble.  Quite a bit was on wood but it warped and rotted so concrete was substituted.

My father in law has his branch on wood bases, about 6" wide by 1" thick maybe more and we are constantly having to adjust levels and alignment to keep it serviceable, bit like the full size railway.  The whole idea of fixing it once and for all just isn't an option with wood bases in my experience, Just keep patching it up and align the tracks by eye if its pre 1960 or align it like a dogs hind leg if its 1970s on.  Pre 1960 blokes aligned the track by eye and got it beautifully straight.  the automated track machines use computers, which don't. 

For lift outs I would take the opposite approach from the accurate cut and secure pinning and use set track not pinned down so you can wangle bits out to release the underlying boards.

Edited by DCB

On 22/09/2021 at 20:52, Stephen O said:

but as all 3 have bends at some point close to or on the lift out sections

Lift-outs rule #1: Don't have curved track spanning the gap at either side of a lift-out.

I guarantee that you will get problems if you have curved track crossing the gap. It is very, very hard to get the alignment right. And it will probably change each time you open and close the lift out.

My advice is to set up the lift-out with track that is:

a) straight where it crosses the gap

b) has a straight section each side of the gap of 3 to 4 inches minimum (this is to avoid the kinds of sideways throw that longer stock has as it goes round a curve)

c) ideally the track crosses the gap at 90 degrees to line of the gap

It's OK to have curved track on the lift out itself, as long as you stick to these rules.

Yours,  Mike.

Thank you to both for your replies. You have confirmed what I suspected from my experience so far. I had previously used set track but cut to suit, I did think on Monday that I would have to have set track removable pieces to span the gaps and this is what I will adapt to. 

• RMweb Premium

, The trains are rough riding  in places, is it possible to use an outdoor tolerant underlay and what type would this be?

Stephen

I would try Woodland Scenics underlay for your outdoor sections. I’ve not used it outside, however it appears  to be a similar material to camping mats so might be worth a try.

• Like 1

Hi, I have a couple of querys regarding learning points from my OO gauge outdoor layout. Firstly the track is pinned to plyboard through roofing felt, The trains are rough riding  in places, is it possible to use an outdoor tolerant underlay and what type would this be? noise is not an issue but I would like to make the running smoother and avoid some of the pitching and rolling that is going on.

Stephen,

For my indoor layout I'm using Vitrex Underlay (see below). However, as it's a damp proof barrier, mildew resistant, and anti-fungal it 'might' be suitable for outdoor use. It's VERY similar to the expensive Woodland Scenic stuff, and can be had for ~£40 for 10m2. I bought mine from Homebase (twice ...). Whatever foam you use, make sure it the 'closed cell' type. 'Open cell' would retain water, which would then destroy the fabric upon any freeze / thaw cycle.

Other details can be found at https://www.vitrex.co.uk/products/unison-plus-underlay/

I'm just a customer of their product, in case you were wondering!

Ian

20180824_191618.jpg.21b9e947a74f48db234efb9381719580.jpg

• Like 1