97201 and RTC Test Coaches

97403_Ixion

Hi, I've seen online that The Signal Box and Modelzone have commissioned the following:

372-975Z Class 24, 97201 in RTC Red/Blue

374-000Z Test Coach 5 and Laboratory 12 in RTC Red/Blue using the new Mk1 tooling

Both in Bachmann-Farish N gauge!

Just The Signal Box are showing them at the moment online but you can pre-order in Modelzone.

I have no link to either store and hope that this is OK by the rules as I understand them...

Cheers, Ixion.

Spotted a notice for these in Modelzone the other day. They appear to be the N Gauge version of their 4mm set from a while back with a 'Test Car' from the DM&EE and a 'Laboratory Coach' from Researchunsure.gif . To go with the 24 it really ought to be 'Laboratory Coaches'. Just acquired a 4mm pairsmile.gif which means the 'Test Car' will have to be modifiedsad.gif .

Richard

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys;

My RTC 24 was delivered today and is such a brilliant little model...and a sweet runner straight from the box.

I was a little disappointed not to see any Experiment plates in the box...so I'll have to get the decal paper out..to be fair, nameplates were never advertised!!!

I got edition number 130 too...highly appropriate don't you think??/

Later;

STU from EGDL

post-6763-0-78406500-1297282366_thumb.jpgpost-6763-0-78014000-1297282391_thumb.jpgpost-6763-0-30402800-1297282413_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That really looks the business, though I'll need to find a new "day job" before I can justify getting one...

Just a quick (and very blatant) plug to say that Tribometer Train overlays are available on the ERG website in both the blue/red and later "reverse exec" liveries. This includes the VBA Van sides and auto-trailer.

TRib%20Train%20004.JPG

Trib%20Train%20VBA%20003.JPG

What years did 97201wear the EXPERIMENT name in service?

It seems most photos of it in service do not show the name, which to be honest suits me since the model does not have it.

Hi There;

From the Derby Sulzers site........with a little bit of interpolation!!!

It looks like 97201 carried the EXPERIMENT name from the time of its repaint into RTC red/blue in the summer of 1980 until an unspecified date just before its retirement from RTC service.

There is a dated pic in 1987 after retirement of it without its plates, but also an undated shot before retirement paired with 97403 Ixion in service but without plates.

As 97403 Ixion was converted in the summer of 1983, and it looks a little weathered in the pic, I would suggest (a little hazily) that 97201 may have lost its plates sometime between 1984 or 1987.

I may actually have a pic of said loco in my collection somewhere around that time....I must have a root around to find it.

Having searched the above info, I'm now in two minds as to naming mine.....as I would like to have a 97403 also!!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

Does anyone know if the RTC 24 is available from any of the branches, particularly the Holborn branch, as I might pop in tonight?

Cheers, Mike

I popped in on Thursday and they didn't have any yet, though they still had some coach packs,

R E Faust

Hi There;

From the Derby Sulzers site........with a little bit of interpolation!!!

It looks like 97201 carried the EXPERIMENT name from the time of its repaint into RTC red/blue in the summer of 1980 until an unspecified date just before its retirement from RTC service.

There is a dated pic in 1987 after retirement of it without its plates, but also an undated shot before retirement paired with 97403 Ixion in service but without plates.

Theres also a 1984 picture on that site with it unnamed.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/97201watfordih.jpg

A bit more digging found this 1982 shot on Flickr, again unnamed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/532327302/

Supporting these pictures are a number of Platform 5 spotters books from the period all of of which have it listed as 97201 (EXPERIMENT) - the brackets signifying that the name was not carried.

• 1 month later...

i bought the class 24 n rtc coaches last saturday , Im most pleased with them both but it may be because im new to n gauge

My other 2 locos are Dapol 58s, is it normal for farish stuff to make noise like gears binding, when at very slow speeds but appears fine at speed

I cant figure out if its faulty or not think its the worm / gear where the noise is coming from, upon removing the bogie it is very quiet, Hope some one can shed some light on this

• 3 months later...

These look even better when toned down and weathered a little bit:

post-4186-0-78419400-1310680877_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-23292200-1310680894_thumb.jpg

post-4186-0-59266500-1310680917_thumb.jpg

All courtesy of Mercig Studios magic.

I wonder if Modelzone have anymore plans to commision another coach or wagon???

Cheers

Lee

Being new to the weathering game, I think mine will stay in pristine finish for the forseeable future! But that does look the business Lee! Very envious indeed!

Regards

Lee

• 1 year later...

How much did this cost you to have weathered?

TBH I can't remember now, but if you drop Ian an email at Mercig   I am sure he will be happy to provide you with a quote.

No connection..... just a very happy customer :derisive:

Cheers

Lee

TBH I can't remember now, but if you drop Ian an email at Mercig   I am sure he will be happy to provide you with a quote.

No connection..... just a very happy customer :derisive:

Cheers

Lee

Lol don't worry, Ian has quoted me about 3 months ago ;-)

Archived