Air compressor for indoor use.

MJI

• RMweb Premium

Getting cold and damp and I have a lot of painting to do, garage is full of junk and car spares.

Currently using an Aldi special with an Iwata Neo.

What would be good for spraying in house rather than outside?

Thanks

Martin

I guess you want a small, quiet one?

After using a small garage compressor which was uncomfortably loud, I went the other way & bought a Clarke Shhh. It is nice & quiet (it makes less nose than the hiss of air from the brush), a little bulky, powerful enough for an airbrush & has a big enough tank for the motor to only be running in short bursts.

I like it but would not recommend it because I paid a massive premium for the quietness.

I bought an AS186 for my father. It cost abut 1/3 of my Clarke & is only a fraction louder, but you can still hold a conversation while using it without having to raise your voice. It has a tank so the compressor does not run all the time. It is a lot smaller & lighter than my Clarke. Although there are better compressors available, I feel it was good value for money. Do you need anything fancy if you use it only occasionally?

It is also available without the tank (AS18), which makes it cheaper & lighter, but this means the compressor must run all the time you use the brush. This may not be a problem if you only use it for short periods of time, like 20 minutes.

• Informative/Useful 1

Don't forget that whatever compressor you go for, if you're contemplating doing airbrushing indoors, do have adequate ventilation!

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I had a Lidl compressor that was adequate BUT it didn't have a tank and would run continuously until it would seize from being too hot! They recommended 10 min run and 10 min cooling - so not good if you're doing a lot of ballast for example. Go for one with a tank.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It has a tank.

The old one just has too many leaky connectors as well.

Anyway light enough to cart around

Edited by MJI
spill checker rubbish

You might like to have a look at the products available at "Everything Airbrush".  They have a really wide range and provide good descriptions of the products.  Their service is very good and I found that giving them a phone call was immensely useful, really honest and straightforward.  The  compressor that I got has now been updated by newer ones, but is really great for use indoors and a big range of brush sizes.  

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/product-category/compressors/ 

Usual disclaimer, no connection with the company, other than being very satisfied with their service...   and very surprised at what can be done with the right advice.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2021 at 16:06, Philou said:

Don't forget that whatever compressor you go for, if you're contemplating doing airbrushing indoors, do have adequate ventilation!

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I had a Lidl compressor that was adequate BUT it didn't have a tank and would run continuously until it would seize from being too hot! They recommended 10 min run and 10 min cooling - so not good if you're doing a lot of ballast for example. Go for one with a tank.

I second this.....seriously...

Chris

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/09/2021 at 09:12, Gilbert said:

I second this.....seriously...

Chris

Paper masks are useless.

If you can smell the paint, you are breathing it, and hurting yourself.

A good extraction fan may be enough, but it needs to be good.   A good filter mask is best.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, bluestag said:

Paper masks are useless.

If you can smell the paint, you are breathing it, and hurting yourself.

A good extraction fan may be enough, but it needs to be good.   A good filter mask is best.

and remember it is not just fumes that hurt.

Airbrushes atomise paint (both enamels and acrylics) into tiny particles which are potentially more harmful.

Chris