Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2021 at 22:52, Not Jeremy said:

Out today, cover pic and description here.

A decent issue I think, from 2mm finescale to a rare bit of 1/32, all tillered by old Queensquare himself.

I know him when he was young Queensquare.  The lad done well for himself.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

I don’t know about compostable, but it doen’t protect the magazine like the old brown envelopes. My copy arrived crumpled and torn … I don’t treat my MRJs like sacred relics but I do keep them, so I was a bit disappointed to get it like that. Has anyone had similar problems? I can’t remember if you can opt to pay extra for better packaging.

8AD597C0-981A-4060-827A-BAE372F76023.jpeg.3c2fab8b1d0455b2de36a6c856594b46.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Another fine issue with some very good and interesting content.

But that wonderful layout of Moretonhampstead is 4mm scale, surely?

That rendering of Mortenhampstead is really very good indeed, isn't it? My mind's eye isn't helped by knowing full well that there was a 4mm (00?) version on the exhibition circuit a few years ago. Thanks to @Not Jeremy for some enforced isolation reading.

Adam

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Adam said:

That rendering of Mortenhampstead is really very good indeed, isn't it? My mind's eye isn't helped by knowing full well that there was a 4mm (00?) version on the exhibition circuit a few years ago.

I recently chanced on an old Railway Modeller in which Tony Wright described the Wolverhampton MRC's 4 mm version - Feb 1987...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Surprised it's not with you already - mine came yesterday.

That's good to know - thanks.  For some reason mail often takes longer to reach Bedford than other places.  Just one of life's mysteries ...

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, decauville1126 said:

Ditto down here on the Sussex coast. Does anyone know if the wrapper is compostable or otherwise? 

Mine was purchased from the newsagent by Seaford Station on Wednesday. For someone whose modelling is neither fine nor scale, at times, I am always surprised how many of the articles I read and enjoy. Aspirational stuff I suppose.

My copy is on its way and currently somewhere between the UK and Australia. Since Nigel Bird no longer supplies MRJ I now use Simon for this and buy a book each time a copy comes out. It seems a waste of time just to send a magazine out when there are books I want too. 

I am sure Simon will like my logic!

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Craigw said:

My copy is on its way and currently somewhere between the UK and Australia. Since Nigel Bird no longer supplies MRJ I now use Simon for this and buy a book each time a copy comes out. It seems a waste of time just to send a magazine out when there are books I want too. 

I am sure Simon will like my logic!

Regards,

Craig W

Impeccable!

• Like 3

I agree about Mortenhampstead - I still can't believe that those figures in the foreground allotment are only 2mm, given quality of detail and painting. Possibly the static grass is a give away  once you start to look for clues.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chrisf said:

That's good to know - thanks.  For some reason mail often takes longer to reach Bedford than other places.  Just one of life's mysteries ...

Chris

There was deliverance at 11 am today - better than the crack of noon when the mail normally arrives.

Chris

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisf said:

..... For some reason mail often takes longer to reach Bedford than other places. 

Just one of life's mysteries ...

Well I had my copy from Smurf's on Thursday in Penzance,

but, we do have a cluster of 'Mystic Megs' Way down West :jester:
Hi Chris :good_mini:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pteremy said:

I agree about Mortenhampstead - I still can't believe that those figures in the foreground allotment are only 2mm, given quality of detail and painting. Possibly the static grass is a give away  once you start to look for clues.

Perhaps, but I kind of don't want to look for clues, if you see what I'm getting at?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Mortenhampstead article - brilliant, superbly written and illustrated!  A sure contender for the 2mm Scale Assocation's "Geoff Balfour" award.

Demonstrating once again that erudite isn't just a sort of glue.

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Moretonhamstead is simply stunning - and in 2mm finescale - my mind boggles a bit.  Not only is the article beautifully illustrated, it is also exceptionally well written.

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

22 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Perhaps, but I kind of don't want to look for clues, if you see what I'm getting at?

I am not sure that i do. if you mean that the aesthetic enjoyment of a layout or model is scale independent then, yes, i would agree. But in assessing the skill involved in a particular layout or model then scale is relevant. So, for example, one of the things about the Moretenhampstead layout is the relative lack of compression - this can be achieved in any scale, but requires different amounts of space and therefore time and effort to execute. Personally I am curious as to quite how the excellency has been achieved. But the smaller the scale the more the constraints of modelling materials is relevant. Those figures are exquisite - the smaller the scale the more impressionistic things tend to be, but in this regard - and others -  this layout appears to defy that logic. I think that we can all agree that it is a demonstration of modelling skill of the highest order.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't normally comment on my own issue but I'm really pleased that Moretonhamstead is receiving such a positive response. As others have said, not only is it a stunning piece of modelling but the write up is superb. From an editors point of view it was a dream - Pete did his own photography and I barely had to touch the article, it was already funny, informative and thought provoking and for those of a certain age (myself included) ticked so many boxes in  both the hobby and wider culture generally.

Needless to say I've already asked him to chronicle any future projects!

Jerry

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

From reading Pete’s excellent article I might be a bit worried about the effect I have on people…

Tim

P.S. I’ve just noticed that both shed doors on the cover photo are hung backwards. Suppose that’s how they are in Devon. 

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 4