Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

I’ve just noticed that both shed doors on the cover photo are hung backwards. Suppose that’s how they are in Devon

Only just got 'lectric light down y'ere, guv,nor and we'm enjoying it muchly!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pteremy said:

I am not sure that i do. if you mean that the aesthetic enjoyment of a layout or model is scale independent then, yes, i would agree

I suppose that I don't really want my enjoyment of the layout photos to be affected, by having to take notice of something that pulls me back into the 'real world'. In other words, I am, perhaps, content to enjoy the illusion.

It is indeed modelling of the very highest order, some of the best I've seen in MRJ.

A very effective advertisement for the merits of 2mm scale modelling!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

From reading Pete’s excellent article I might be a bit worried about the effect I have on people…

Tim

P.S. I’ve just noticed that both shed doors on the cover photo are hung backwards. Suppose that’s how they are in Devon. 

"Is it safe?"

image.png.9a2c866b1774c670690eea278e1d5655.png

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

P.S. I’ve just noticed that both shed doors on the cover photo are hung backwards. Suppose that’s how they are in Devon. 

I think the Romans had a thing about building in a deliberate error into things (such as the wrong pattern on a section of mosaic floor) on the basis that only the gods could create something perfect.

That said. I can only echo the comments that it is an outstanding piece of work.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, figworthy said:

I think the Romans had a thing about building in a deliberate error into things (such as the wrong pattern on a section of mosaic floor) on the basis that only the gods could create something perfect.

I don't know about the Romans - but I seem to recall reading something along similar lines about rug makers in some Muslim countries.

18 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

"Is it safe?"

image.png.9a2c866b1774c670690eea278e1d5655.png

He looks friendly ... .

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

I don't know about the Romans - but I seem to recall reading something along similar lines about rug makers in some Muslim countries.

Agreed, I saw a program just last night that mentioned the same thing but as applied to tiles. The reasoning being that only God was capable of perfection so don’t push your luck, be disrespectful, get above your station, or some such….

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

22 hours ago, figworthy said:

That seems to me to be arrogance which is in itself a form of blasphemy - "I am capable of being as perfect as God" (which is tantamount to claiming to be God oneself) - whereas in humbly seeking perfection whilst acknowledging one's limitations one is seeking unity with the Godhead. The latter seems to me to be much more the spirit in which to approach one's modelling though I think we've probably all come across modellers who think themselves in the former category!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Andy M said:

I can only echo all the praise given to Pete Warren's slice of South Devon gorgeousness. Stunning modelling, well photographed and driven by a really heartwarming commentary........brilliant! This typifies for me exactly what the MRJ is all about and long may it continue.

For those with an interest in this bucolic location, the lead article in the soon to be released Western Times Issue 2 is an illustrated essay of Moretonhampstead in 1955 by Gerry Beale. An example image from the article (taken by Gerry's father Ivan) is shown below , which I think illustrates the accuracy of Pete's model if compared to his 2mm rendition on p.372.

Regards,

Andy.

Moretonhampstead.jpg

Model.jpg

Fantastic!! Doubly so when considering the scale. Very entertaining read!

On 03/10/2021 at 19:24, CF MRC said:

From reading Pete’s excellent article I might be a bit worried about the effect I have on people…

Tim

You've clearly inspired some excellent modelling Tim. 

After a long day, I will need help to understand how the doors have been hung backwards? Much head scratching has ensued. 

1 hour ago, westernviscount said:

You've clearly inspired some excellent modelling Tim. 

After a long day, I will need help to understand how the doors have been hung backwards? Much head scratching has ensued. 

I think it’s down to the diagonals - bottom of diagonal should be on the hinge side of door.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/10/2021 at 20:32, figworthy said:

"What have the Romans ever done for us???"

Sorry....

• Funny 1

On 03/10/2021 at 20:32, figworthy said:

That said. I can only echo the comments that it is an outstanding piece of work.

Adrian

I think I have inadvertently applied the same principle to my own work... ;-)

Davy.

• Funny 1

An excellent read once again. Fantastic that the quality of modelling and articles have kept going through the last 18 months or so. Thank you.

Was also very interested to read that David Geen kits could be available once more and that an email could be sent requesting a list, of which I duly have done although I may have misunderstood as I have not yet received a reply either positive or negative. Apologies if I have got over excited.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Was also very interested to read that David Geen kits could be available once more and that an email could be sent requesting a list, of which I duly have done although I may have misunderstood as I have not yet received a reply either positive or negative. Apologies if I have got over excited.

I raised that question when this carriage first appeared in the previous issue or maybe the one before. I was left with the feeling that these kits are only available to the Elect.

I saved this magazine until Sunday morning and with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and a biscuit (or two) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The article on Moretonhampstead is superb. 2mm really can be the "Artist's scale". I could imagine looking at that layout with a recording of birdsong and not even wanting to see a train move. The article itself is the perfect accompaniment and so well written.

I confess that the article on mechanical interlocking might have been written in ancient Aramaic for all the understanding I could glean from it! Nothing wrong with the article, just way above my head! It wouldn't be a great issue of MRJ without it though.

Thank you to all involved.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

At Johnathan's request, something more simple.

Lovely. A point I hadn't appreciated is that the home can't be pulled off if the starter is already off, thereby protecting a train just departing into the section in advance from a train approaching from the section in rear.