Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

Saw the trailer whilst having my breakfast this morning, and thought "who's that bloke, he seems familiar", then realised it was SK, Mr Hornby himself...

I initially thought that "Yesterday" was advertising a rerun the old series which documented (amongst other things) the announcement of the New Terriers and the flood of Class 66 liveries, to the chagrin of both Hattons and Rails.  However it turned out to be a "coming soon" for a new multipart documentary series.

I'll give it a watch, hope there will be more fisticuffs.....

Edited by Hroth
repetition

• Administrators

Hornby Model World Wagon.jpg

R60175 "Hornby: A Model World" Wagon Limited Edition

In a new UKTV original series on Yesterday, the home to four iconic brands, Hornby, Airfix, Scalextric and Corgi, opens the doors to reveal how their designers strive to shrink a new generation of mighty machines.

First airing at 9pm on 11th October 2021, each programme follows the process from drawing board to a miniature replica.

The series observes the ups and downs of the design process as the team attempt to get the all-important detail spot on, whether it's perfecting the sound of a 1930's steam loco or the stitching on a First World War fighter plane.

There's a chance to marvel at Britain's best model layout builders, including Jenny Kirk and Callum Wilcox, creating miniature masterpieces in lofts and sheds.

Yesterday is on Freeview 26, Sky 155, Virgin 129, Freesat 159, BT/Plusnet/TalkTalk/YouView 26

All episodes will be available on the UKTV Play streaming service.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators

I've seen the press preview now and it's an enjoyable view if you can forgive some of the liberties taken with 'near enough' for some clips in some of the editing. It's nice to see the wider team featuring including Phil and Ed on the design side as the first episode focuses on the development of the Dublo Merchant Navy; by the magic of telly it seems to jump from one stage to the next very quickly when we know it's not like that. Callum @SDJR7F88 features quite a bit with his modelmaking and shows how he does his videos with a blend of prototype sound which is worth seeing. I was so chuffed to see Invicta Models in Sidcup featuring too; there was someone who looked just like Kerry on there but it couldn't be 'cos she didn't swear once. :biggrin_mini2:

Nice light telly for the masses which won't do anyone any harm.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

It's nice to see the wider team featuring including Phil and Ed on the design side as the first episode focuses on the development of the Dublo Merchant Navy; by the magic of telly it seems to jump from one stage to the next very quickly when we know it's not like that.

Does the phrase "here's one I prepared earlier" feature?

• RMweb Gold

The first episode should also be including a visit to one of the working weekends in the restoration of  the 12" to foot scale 35011 General Steam Navigation back to original air smoothed condition complete with Bulleid's chain driven valve gear. 

See here https://www.35011gsn.co.uk/ for more details on the project.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

While I am sure Hornby will have been careful not to due this I expect that I and a few others will be watching for any whiteboards in the background or any hints and clues about what may be coming next.

Just for fun you understand not obsessed at all!

• Funny 2

On 28/09/2021 at 15:49, Markwj said:

While I am sure Hornby will have been careful not to due this I expect that I and a few others will be watching for any whiteboards in the background or any hints and clues about what may be coming next.

Just for fun you understand not obsessed at all!

I am going to have to admit that I did notice a couple of things in the trailer which could be of potential interest :)  

44393-F38-93-F4-419-B-BEDF-80-C8-D5-A68-

3198-B76-A-F888-416-E-BB21-889-ABDF08-B9

I have exactly no knowledge of what the smoke unit is or what the plans for it are, but I do think it’s interesting that there appears to be someone recording a 4MT tank sound :)

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don’t know anything about the show, not read any of the above posts and I’ve not actually seen any of the programmes, but the programme makers couldn't care less about the hobby. It's model railways this time. Next it could be knitting or bell ringing, it's all the same to them…

:crazy_mini:

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• Administrators

While we don't have a full listing, it looks like the following will be covered over the series:

Dublo Merchant Navy.

Mosquito plastic kit.

Pete Waterman's Chester Cathedral layout.

Steampunk.

APT.

Since Corgi and Scalextric also get a look in, that would seem to fill most of the 10 episodes.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 29/09/2021 at 16:42, Edge said:

I am going to have to admit that I did notice a couple of things in the trailer which could be of potential interest :)  

44393-F38-93-F4-419-B-BEDF-80-C8-D5-A68-

I have exactly no knowledge of what the smoke unit is or what the plans for it are, but I do think it’s interesting that there appears to be someone recording a 4MT tank sound :)

I hope the production version doesn't rely on yellow tape to keep the electrical gubbins in place:(

Could've at least used BR green tape..:good:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2021 at 16:42, Edge said:

The previous documentary showed them recording a sound file for their new Terrier. That still hasnt appeared yet, so I wont hold my breath for a 4MT tank. 

Although as I have now cursed my way through fitting sound to my Bachman 4MT, no doubt it will be announced by Hornby in a couple of months time!