Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

So I now know how it feels to be pixilated... :) 

For more information on and how to support the project to restore 21c11 / 35011 General Steam Navigation back to original condition see here https://www.35011gsn.co.uk

Was that you then?!

Interesting programme but the film editor clearly didn't read his beginners guide to knowing the difference between a MN and WC...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Was that you then?!

Interesting programme but the film editor clearly didn't read his beginners guide to knowing the difference between a MN and WC...

I was in some of the footage we provided them from the boiler lift and they pixilated people, but the other footage they filmed themselves later at one our working weekends and everyone signed release forms. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed it and am glad there is more railway content on TV. I realise it may not be everyone’s cup of tea but for a bit of light easy entertainment for an hour it was fine. Am really looking forward to the APT episode as that is where my interest is. 
I thought Simon came across well but did smile when he was talking about how good the livery man is knowing that there has been a few issues recently such as the slanted printing on the hat power cars and the blue on the GBRF class 50 but to be fair they may be an error in China rather than here.

All in all looking forward to next week.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Really enjoyed the first episode - a relaxed programme that showed the enthusiasm of the team. 

I had problems with the channel’s iPlayer last night but I’ll try again later. What I did see looked interesting. I notice thankfully that nothing negative has appeared here. A shame it was found necessary to advise forum members to keep off such but it’s understandable and thus far appears to have had the desired effect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I believe episode 4 covers Steampunk, and episode 10 features the secret project I was busy keeping quiet about at the start of the year. 

Not seen the full first episode yet, but the snippets looked really good. I knew Callum was in it as we both talked to each other a little back when filming was going on. 

I find it slightly amusing that my Rapido/Model Rail J70 features heavily in the series trailer. 

• Like 6

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

A shame it was found necessary to advise forum members to keep off such but it’s understandable and thus far appears to have had the desired effect.

It just seemed sensible to do a little pre-show expectation management since the programme finished at 10pm and no-one fancied a couple of hours taxing moderation afterwards.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:
32 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I had problems with the channel’s iPlayer last night but I’ll try again later. What I did see looked interesting. I notice thankfully that nothing negative has appeared here. A shame it was found necessary to advise forum members to keep off such but it’s understandable and thus far appears to have had the desired effect.

I didnt know there was any injunction about what we could say so it’s a happy coincidence that my comment is positive. To be honest if I hadn’t have enjoyed it I probably would have just changed channel and not said anything on here. My wife found the programme ‘tolerable’ which is good news for me as it means I won’t have to bid for viewing slots to watch it on ‘catch up’ ! :)

1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

Personally, I feel the who series peaked 4 minutes 51 seconds in with a lingering shot of what is widely recognised, by any sensible person, as Hornby's greatest model.

Turbo car.jpg

I mean, do we need any more? :dirol_mini:

Bundle of fun right there, I always wanted the Heli! never got it!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I didnt know there was any injunction about what we could say so it’s a happy coincidence that my comment is positive.

No "injunction", just being realistic. For the GMRC, there were ranting posts on social media within 10 minutes of the show starting because it wasn't properly finescale and the posters had wanted to shout "look at me, I'm offended". I didn't want to spend a couple of hours (the sort of time moderation was taking after early GMRC episodes) dealing with people who expected a very different show to the one likely to be on offer, and then have to get up and work the next day.

12 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

My wife found the programme ‘tolerable’ which is good news for me as it means I won’t have to bid for viewing slots to watch it on ‘catch up’ !

Which would suggest the programme makers have done their job properly and made a show anyone can watch.

FWIW, I've just skimmed through Episode 2 and think it's even better than episode 1 for both general and modeller viewers.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Having watched the program, I now see the sound of the 4MT tank was just because it happened to be passing (or was it????) and they recorded 257 squadron for sound for the original MN. Which is nice, and it could be used for original WC/BoBs as well.

I'd also note that they seem to be acknowledging that better speakers are available. 

• Like 2

I wasn't aware of this series (or this thread) until I saw the BBC 1 Morning News piece yesterday, which featured Pete Waterman and his 7mm model of Leamington.

I therefore initially expected it to be about creating model railways and, despite finding this thread, didn't realise it was essentially a programme series about Hornby and its various products. I am sure the series will  appeal more strongly to the Hornby enthusiast/collector and those interested in RTR products in general.

It was interesting that no mention was made of the length of time for design and development of new models, nor that the products are manufactured abroad, rather than in the large Margate site. A broader view of Hornby's product offerings might have made it more appealing to a wider range of new and potential modellers, rather than concentrating on just one, limited production and therefore rather expensive loco. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

No "injunction", just being realistic. For the GMRC, there were ranting posts on social media within 10 minutes of the show starting because it wasn't properly finescale and the posters had wanted to shout "look at me, I'm offended". I didn't want to spend a couple of hours (the sort of time moderation was taking after early GMRC episodes) dealing with people who expected a very different show to the one likely to be on offer, and then have to get up and work the next day.

Which would suggest the programme makers have done their job properly and made a show anyone can watch.

FWIW, I've just skimmed through Episode 2 and think it's even better than episode 1 for both general and modeller viewers.

I didn’t realise it was that bad. These people need to turn off the TV and go and do some modelling rather than firing up the keyboard. My wife enjoyed GMRC too by the way :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Personally, I feel the whole series peaked 4 minutes 51 seconds in with a lingering shot of what is widely recognised, by any sensible person, as Hornby's greatest model.

Turbo car.jpg

I mean, do we need any more? :dirol_mini:

You might enjoy this brief piece of video then (brief, because it only took 22 seconds to complete a lap). Cross Barry O's palm with silver and he might bring it with him to Doncaster...

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 3

Thankfully I "don't do" social media thereby not having to read all the negative comments on the programme.

It provided a decent watch at the end of the day for me and I will certainly look forward to future episodes, I also hope that the curious viewer who doesn't model will be enthused and be encouraged to take up something constructive.

G

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Have to say I enjoyed episode one. Simon's enthusiasm more than shone through. I'd like to point out he did the right thing in setting aside one of the Merchants for himself - a quick check online after the programme showed they've more than doubled in value already. 

Graeme 

Edited by jacko
  • Like 1