Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

I'd also note that they seem to be acknowledging that better speakers are available. 

Yes, but unfortunately even Hornby can't fit a 15" roll surround bass speaker into an 00 model...........

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Flyingscotsmanfan said:

Does anyone know when it will appear on UKTV Play? Because ironically Monday night is club night and I missed it. It isn’t on there as of yet.

Yesterday programmes usually appear shortly after broadcast.

But it's, as you say, not there (yet?)

Tim's prog about Saltburn is already there.

EDIT

It's repeated on Yesterday, Thursday at 8pm

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The programme was a welcome change from the usual diet of "reality" shows and Bradley Walsh in something, and covered the creation of a new model well, but only up to a point.  It's a pity that the programme makers did not (or could not) visit the factory in the Far East, as it was we had a designer in Margate creating a 'model' on a CAD system and then magically (I thought of the replicators in "Star Trek") a completed prototype appears on his desk, they didn't even mention a timescale, weeks?  months?

I thought Simon rather gave the game away, the Merchant Navy class model was firmly targeted at collectors, I'd wager a fair percentage never turn a wheel once purchased, which rather contradicted all the waffle about the old set his mother had bought his brother and "grandparents buying for grandchildren".

Totally unrelated to railways, but Airfix's faux pas (six wheel nuts not eight) on their recent kit of the British Cromwell tank, suggests the trainee designers are used on some ranges.

The rest of the series will be interesting to watch.

jch 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2021 at 09:17, Phil Parker said:

Personally, I feel the whole series peaked 4 minutes 51 seconds in with a lingering shot of what is widely recognised, by any sensible person, as Hornby's greatest model.

Turbo car.jpg

I mean, do we need any more? :dirol_mini:

They missed out this

DSC_0309.JPG.310f72766dec95408e980d0147e6f1b6.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, John Harris said:

The programme was a welcome change from the usual diet of "reality" shows and Bradley Walsh in something, and covered the creation of a new model well, but only up to a point.  It's a pity that the programme makers did not (or could not) visit the factory in the Far East, as it was we had a designer in Margate creating a 'model' on a CAD system and then magically (I thought of the replicators in "Star Trek") a completed prototype appears on his desk, they didn't even mention a timescale, weeks?  months?

I thought Simon rather gave the game away, the Merchant Navy class model was firmly targeted at collectors, I'd wager a fair percentage never turn a wheel once purchased, which rather contradicted all the waffle about the old set his mother had bought his brother and "grandparents buying for grandchildren".

Totally unrelated to railways, but Airfix's faux pas (six wheel nuts not eight) on their recent kit of the British Cromwell tank, suggests the trainee designers are used on some ranges.

The rest of the series will be interesting to watch.

jch 

the Aftermarket lads gearing up to bang out the wheels with correct nuts... Ching ching!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko said:

Have to say I enjoyed episode one. Simon's enthusiasm more than shone through. I'd like to point out he did the right thing in setting aside one of the Merchants for himself - a quick check online after the programme showed they've more than doubled in value already. 

Graeme 

Great, I did not even realise they were on out the shelves.  I had one on order from the LMS in Ireland, Ordered the day they were announced, Heard nada. Fab...

Sure they will be out again under another name so no panic...I spose..or will the element of I want one go to really do I need one....Coin could go to a Sea Kayak instead.

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, John Harris said:

It's a pity that the programme makers did not (or could not) visit the factory in the Far East, as it was we had a designer in Margate creating a 'model' on a CAD system and then magically (I thought of the replicators in "Star Trek") a completed prototype appears on his desk, they didn't even mention a timescale, weeks?  months?

Production budgets are not what you think and there have been a few travel difficulties recently I gather.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Just have to wonder why it is on so late. Kids would like this too surely. They were banging on about grandparents buying sets for kids etc but it is on past 9pm. I know my kids are in bed thank god.

It's on Yesterday!

It's going to be repeated constantly in every time slot available for the next twenty years. :laugh:

Next on Thursday at 8PM if that's any better.

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/Hornby-a-model-world/

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Production budgets are not what you think and there have been a few travel difficulties recently I gather.

I did wonder when it was filmed, it was obviously not during the "stay at home" period as the display area at Margate was open.

jch

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, John Harris said:

I did wonder when it was filmed, it was obviously not during the "stay at home" period as the display area at Margate was open.

jch

Did you see any public in there? :-)

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

Did you see any public in there? :-)

True, there were none, but the manager was switching on the displays and the staff were not socially distancing either.  If it was an elaborate pantomime for the cameras it seemed a bit odd.

The clips of the chap researching the S&D had people in the background with "blurred out" faces, so to be consistent they would have to do something similar in any footage of the model display.

jch

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Harris said:

jch

The model shop had the July 2021 'Fence Houses' Railway Modeller prominently displayed for sale on their counter. 

Graeme

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

First episode seems to have been a decent enough effort with little in the way of talking down, dumbing down, or blinding anybody with science, which is a pretty good trick if they can maintain it.

Now they've got the metal 35011 out of their system for the collectors, it leaves the way open for a plastic-bodied one with a cut-down tender for we modellers.:)

John

• Like 1

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, John Harris said:

True, there were none, but the manager was switching on the displays and the staff were not socially distancing either.  If it was an elaborate pantomime for the cameras it seemed a bit odd.

The clips of the chap researching the S&D had people in the background with "blurred out" faces, so to be consistent they would have to do something similar in any footage of the model display.

There was also a prominent display cabinet that was empty, just right for Simon's train set. I'm sure I'd have noticed this gap when Andy and I were there a few years ago. I suspect someone will have a photo showing what was in that cabinet before it was emptied.

If I were the production team, I would stage this entirely for the camera, it saves pixelating the faces of people you can't get a release form for (that's why they do it) and having to deal with random people wandering in front of the camera or making a noise. We are only talking about turning a few lights on and off after all.

This is what I mean when I said yesterday that this stuff is edited. The job of the programme maker is to tell a story, and that's what they have done, and very well. But if you think nothing was staged for the camera, you'll be disappointed. It's not that much different from a magazine layout shoot in that respect. We don't watch a sequence and take pictures, we ask for trains to put put in specific places to compose a nice image. The camera does lie.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

We don't watch a sequence and take pictures, we ask for trains to put put in specific places to compose a nice image. The camera does lie.

When Andy did the Summat Colliery shoot he specifically asked me to stage the operating sequence so it could be included in the article, maybe it only lied a little bit. The Airfix Spitfire photoshopped into the sky was an out and out lie though, even if it did not get into print ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Strathwood said:

Sad to see Vern how he was towards the end of his life, but a big well done to Kerry and her team.

I did wonder how many pre-orders they had taken and their disappointment at only being sent one loco . . . . . . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
Just now, Mike Bellamy said:

I did wonder how many pre-orders they had taken and their disappointment at only being sent one loco .

They did have some more turn up later on a normal delivery. Sometimes a delivery from a supplier is a large box hurled through the door by a courier who is a getaway driver at weekends containing multiple random products which sometime coincide with a delivery note telling them what's on back order.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1