Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, John Harris said:

Totally unrelated to railways, but Airfix's faux pas (six wheel nuts not eight) on their recent kit of the British Cromwell tank, suggests the trainee designers are used on some ranges.

I have heard of “rivet counters” but “nut counters”?  Sounds like an activity that could cause you to run foul of the law…

I also enjoyed the programme and am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

Disappointing. The same shouty narrator as seen on other programmes - I found intrusive. And how many times did she say 'Steam Packet'? Her script was terrible.

Other than those niggles, it did jump around and was entertaining. Will I watch it next week? If I remember ...

• Like 1

i support Phil and Andy's  earlier comments about calming the comments. Very apt and timely.

Anyway, I too was involved in all this. The filming took place under difficult and strict covid regulations earlier this year for us.  So here are some more clues.  I had an e mail from Rare TV this evening (just now in fact) explaining a slight change in episode order from that originally planned.  Essentially the Merchant Navy and P2 episodes were swopped around at the last minute. Whether that affected the order of any other episodes I wouldn't know.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Pete Goss said:

Essentially the Merchant Navy and P2 episodes were swopped around at the last minute. Whether that affected the order of any other episodes I wouldn't know.

I have seen a brief glimpse of your work in it Pete which I'm really looking forward to seeing in due course. Yes, the end of Episode 3 says what you can see next in Episode 2; confused? You will be.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi,

Re Episode 1:

Nice to see Simon Kohler has been promoted to boss of Hornby:).

Interesting to see a Bachmann SDJR 7F on a through working into Hornby territory.

The finish on the painted body of the diecast Merchant Navy looked a bit rough close up but I suppose it retained the rivet detail. Was the tender of the diecast MN plastic on the production run of 500?.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, NIK said:

Interesting to see a Bachmann SDJR 7F on a through working into Hornby territory.

You will see plenty of content on various layouts which aren't Hornby at different points.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I have heard of “rivet counters” but “nut counters”?  Sounds like an activity that could cause you to run foul of the law…

Well I guess it's either that or a name for people who count "rivet counters".

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, didcot said:

Really enjoyed the first episode. No false jeopardy. Looking forward to the next.

That’s it nail on head -no false jeopardy which has spoilt many a program for me in the past!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I can't wait to see the episode featuring the development process of the 4 wheel coaches.

Simon Kohler  "I just suddenly thought it would be a great idea to produce some pre-grouping 4 wheel coaches.... Hattons? Who are they?"

Or was is that Rail bloke who a drove Aston Martin to Hornby HQ, and then kept going on about  Terriers !!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Jenny Emily made a comment about a secret project in episode 10, I wondered if this episode would coincide with the announcements due usually in January but week 10 falls in Christmas week so too early.

Interesting times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

You will see plenty of content on various layouts which aren't Hornby at different points.

For me, seeing Callum testing his bridge clearances with a couple of pre-production Hattons Genesis carriages was a fantastic bit of subtlety! 

I enjoyed the program on the whole, some bits were understandably simplified, and probably very much out of the sequence/process of development but that didn't distract. Seeing some of the sound recording was interesting and the speaker comparison.

As a keen military modeller as well as railways, I'm also looking forward to the Airfix episodes (and, to be honest seeing how things are developed for the other brands too!)

Cheers

J

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Pete Goss said:

i support Phil and Andy's  earlier comments about calming the comments. Very apt and timely.

Anyway, I too was involved in all this. The filming took place under difficult and strict covid regulations earlier this year for us.  So here are some more clues.  I had an e mail from Rare TV this evening (just now in fact) explaining a slight change in episode order from that originally planned.  Essentially the Merchant Navy and P2 episodes were swopped around at the last minute. Whether that affected the order of any other episodes I wouldn't know.

Episode 10 is now going out as episode 7 - found out yesterday. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 16:19, JohnR said:

The previous documentary showed them recording a sound file for their new Terrier. That still hasnt appeared yet, so I wont hold my breath for a 4MT tank. 

Although as I have now cursed my way through fitting sound to my Bachman 4MT, no doubt it will be announced by Hornby in a couple of months time!

It's worth remembering that TV producers film lots of fill in shots, whilst these may be related to the topic of the programme they may not relate directly to the specific subject.  I can imagine the director asking for a shot recording a steam loco in good light or the right angle etc - your Bachmann standard my be safe for a while yet? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Watched it on a recording* after finishing my speed awareness course** last night as a bit of relaxation before bed.

I have but a couple of annoying niggles with the programme...

Firstly, the speed that some of the models were shown running at! Seeing a modern image loco hurtling around the track at a scale 100+ mph with two private owner short wheelbase wagons tagged behind, for example. What was that about?! It screamed "toy" at me!

And the other repeated "filler" shot - the Merchant Navy/BoB/West Country hurtling around pulling a single coach! Again, "TOY!!" leapt out at me, but also upon first seeing the shot "Crikey! Where's the rest if the train?!" I recognised it as being a "filler shot" (a couple of seconds of footage used to pad out the episode to the required length when only a few seconds short overall) but why not have something a little less toylike? (In fairness, they did show a goods train filler shot a few times which was better.)

Lastly - and this returns to speed - why do all the Hornby display layouts appear to be running models at breakneck speeds?! Last time I visited Pecorama I seem to remember everything running at speeds where you could see what was passing, not just a blur of colour as the train flashed past!

Those niggles aside, I enjoyed the programme and will continue to watch.

Steve S

* On a hard disc recorder, no less - some of us still use "old" technology! (Mainline, Lima, Airfix GMR... :lol:)

** One question was "I might speed due to..." and I only just managed to restrain myself from answering "the eight pints I drank earlier" as a joke! (Reading the question immediately reminded of Douglas Adams's article about a driver in Japan using the explanation that he was blind drunk as mitigating circumstances after a car crash, but at the last moment I realised that it was not an appropriate time for me to make a quip!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I agree about speeds.   Too fast looks like a toy train set.  At the other extreme it is like watching paint dry when an express locomotive and carriages crawl past at a scale half a mile per hour, just because it can.

We should get Goldilocks to set the speeds "just right"  :)

• Like 5

• Administrators

All of those models mentioned were on the Visitor Centre Layouts set up for the public to play with. They can be run slowly, but no-one does. Also, this is popular TV, on BRM TV, you see long shots of trains running, but we know our audience like to see long shots of trains. Not sure the public is quite so understanding. That's why BRM TV is so good - make for enthusiasts, BY enthusiasts.

43 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

And the other repeated "filler" shot - the Merchant Navy/BoB/West Country hurtling around pulling a single coach! Again, "TOY!!" leapt out at me, but also upon first seeing the shot "Crikey! Where's the rest if the train?!"

Again, it's on the public layout. You could hang more stock behind it, but then derailments become more likely, and will take longer to deal with. From memory, the centre is only staffed in the shop, there's not an attendant beside each layout.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

And the other repeated "filler" shot - the Merchant Navy/BoB/West Country hurtling around pulling a single coach!

I've seen prototype photos of a WC/BoB locomotive with a single coach, waiting to depart from the furthest twig of the Southern Region in Cornwall. Naturally more would have been picked up as the train proceeded towards London, but it did happen, in real life...

• Like 1