Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Watched it on a recording* after finishing my speed awareness course** last night as a bit of relaxation before bed.

* On a hard disc recorder, no less - some of us still use "old" technology! (Mainline, Lima, Airfix GMR... :lol:)

Nothing old technology about HDD recorders, there are still plenty for sale and new models still appear.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tim V said:

Disappointing. The same shouty narrator as seen on other programmes - I found intrusive. And how many times did she say 'Steam Packet'? Her script was terrible.

Other than those niggles, it did jump around and was entertaining. Will I watch it next week? If I remember ...

LOl My Father turned it off after 10 mins, The Lady narrator got on his wick!

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

I wonder if the faster than we would do it are due to post filming editing speeding up for time filling?

I've not seen any evidence of that. Nor do we see any mirrored or reversed shots which afflicted Portillo's programme for a while. This series films things very much as they are, even if they do overuse irrelevant cutaways on occasion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

All of those models mentioned were on the Visitor Centre Layouts set up for the public to play with. They can be run slowly, but no-one does. Also, this is popular TV, on BRM TV, you see long shots of trains running, but we know our audience like to see long shots of trains. Not sure the public is quite so understanding. That's why BRM TV is so good - make for enthusiasts, BY enthusiasts.

Again, it's on the public layout. You could hang more stock behind it, but then derailments become more likely, and will take longer to deal with. From memory, the centre is only staffed in the shop, there's not an attendant beside each layout.

The public are not allowed to play with all the layouts.

No excuse not to run decent length trains - if the track is laid to a decent standard & the "train set" bends dispensed with then there can be no issues. I agree that the Visitor Centre mostly looked after by the shop but the admission charges would more than cover the costs of someone to pay a bit more attention to the layouts & even be able to ansawer/offer advice  questions that the paying publicis would appreciate.

Hornby have missed several trick with the whole setup - quite a few people I have spoken to that have been to the VC have very similar veiws.

The programme itself was pretty good overall, pretty good compromises between what the "serious" modeller & the "public" like to see. Mrs T enjoyed it too

• Like 1

On a more positive note, both of us are looking forward to the next episode.

I enjoyed seeing the "Battle Space" models & had a chuckle at what the H & S people would have to say about them today. My exploding car from my childhood is probably still in orbit after I loaded it with the contents of around 10 sixpenny bangers !

Have not seen a Heavy Duty Ramming Spike for years & still on the lookout for one.

Also nice to see some of th models I had years ago, the Rocket & the US Woodburner to name just two.

On the subject of the Merchant Navy (& I'm still not too sure if is it intended to be a scale or nostalgic model or a bit of both ?).

If a scale model what about the huge gap between the locomotive & the tender (or did the fireman have a very long shovel ?).

Is it on an existing chassi ?

Is the tender plastic bodied ?

DCC Sound/DCC ready ? (although probably not as issue as sadly, I suspect very few of the 500 will ever be run or even come out of the box, the box design which I thought was a good move.

As an HO European mainland modeller I would like to know if they will show any of the HO products - maybe, someone with inside knowledge will know ?

I have to say that the current Rivarossi/Late Lima & Jouef offering are up there with the bst.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Merchant Navy:

The chassis is the same as the plastic-bodied ones.

There are long and short positions on the tender coupling.

The tender body is plastic as were many within the original Hornby Dublo range, so it's "kosher" in that sense.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 4

15 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

As an HO European mainland modeller I would like to know if they will show any of the HO products - maybe, someone with inside knowledge will know ?

The list of Episodes is at:

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/Hornby-a-model-world/episodes/

The one for next Monday just with the series title is the Corgi Bristol Fighter

Edited by MyRule1
pressed post too early
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

I wonder if the faster than we would do it are due to post filming editing speeding up for time filling? Also the use in some cars of reverse imaging. 

If they needed time filling, surely they would slow it down.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SamThomas said:

No excuse not to run decent length trains - if the track is laid to a decent standard & the "train set" bends dispensed with then there can be no issues. I agree that the Visitor Centre mostly looked after by the shop but the admission charges would more than cover the costs of someone to pay a bit more attention to the layouts & even be able to ansawer/offer advice  questions that the paying publicis would appreciate.

I appreciate you are conversant with the finances of the Hornby Visitors Centre in the way I am not to be able to be able to state that the costs could cover knowledgable staff to man the layouts - but even if they did, you'd still need to rebuild them to include those larger curves, and the centre isn't that large. You'd be looking at a complete rebuild moving some walls to do all that. You could argue, that the layouts give people an idea of what they could do themselves. Like the TV programme, it's not aimed at the enthusiast, it's something for the general public to visit. More a train-set market than a traditional model railway exhibition.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I thought it a well-constructed and enjoyable 45 minutes of TV.  Well done to those involved!  Having worked on some of the filming of "Secrets Of The Transport Museum" (series 2 now filmed and in the process of editing) I could see a lot of similarities in the editing and presentation. I bet there's a lot of interesting material on the digital "cutting room floor"

As Phil says, these programmes are aimed not at us but at the public at large. Let's hope the programme gets good ratings.  We need this sort of stuff as an antidote to "strictly come bake me a celebrity get me out of a gogglebox".

Narration is a whole subject on its own.  There are some well known voices that will never go hungry, Ralph "Dave" Ineson for example.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

20 hours ago, Tim V said:

Disappointing. The same shouty narrator as seen on other programmes - I found intrusive. And how many times did she say 'Steam Packet'? Her script was terrible.

Other than those niggles, it did jump around and was entertaining. Will I watch it next week? If I remember ...

In a slight defence of Sunetra Sarker (the "shouty" narrator), she is an actress, so was probably following the direction and script she was given.

That said, I'd have thought they could have found someone a bit more interested in the subject.

jch

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

I thought it a well-constructed and enjoyable 45 minutes of TV.  Well done to those involved!  Having worked on some of the filming of "Secrets Of The Transport Museum" (series 2 now filmed and in the process of editing) I could see a lot of similarities in the editing and presentation. I bet there's a lot of interesting material on the digital "cutting room floor"

As Phil says, these programmes are aimed not at us but at the public at large. Let's hope the programme gets good ratings.  We need this sort of stuff as an antidote to "strictly come bake me a celebrity get me out of a gogglebox".

Narration is a whole subject on its own.  There are some well known voices that will never go hungry, Ralph "Dave" Ineson for example.

Hopefully the discarded sequences might be on the DVD release?

jch

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, John Harris said:

In a slight defence of Sunetra Sarker (the "shouty" narrator), she is an actress, so was probably following the direction and script she was given.

That said, I'd have thought they could have found someone a bit more interested in the subject.

Why? The job requires someone who can read a script written by someone else, not as easy as it sounds. I think I'd chose shouty over a the nasal twang of a hard core train nut - and even he'd (yes it would be HE) would have to read the script instead of riffing for 20 minutes on the shape of a rivet and exactly what shade of green is on the loco.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Why? The job requires someone who can read a script written by someone else, not as easy as it sounds. I think I'd chose shouty over a the nasal twang of a hard core train nut - and even he'd (yes it would be HE) would have to read the script instead of riffing for 20 minutes on the shape of a rivet and exactly what shade of green is on the loco.

image.png.22ac8f09003d6852983fd90d1cfe22f7.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2021 at 09:19, Georgeconna said:

Bundle of fun right there, I always wanted the Heli! never got it!

I had one, the clear cockpit canopy was incredibly fragile for something designed to be launched.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

Episode 10 is now going out as episode 7 - found out yesterday. 

5 hours ago, 5944 said:

"We're playing all the right episodes, but not necessarily in the right order". 

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I knew some false jeopardy would have to creep in somewhere,.....:jester:

Absolutely.

There was always the risk that someone might see the "Preview" ... .

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2mmMark said:

There was me, thinking of him as "the voice of Quest". He certainly seems to narrate lots of their programmes (not that I've got any problems with this, you understand).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Harris said:

jch

Having just watched it on the app, personally I didn't find the narrator overly 'shouty'; they're bound to be a bit upbeat considering it's showbiz, not a lecture. The only thing that bugged me was the lack of much content showing the model design and manufacture, but I guess that's pretty much inevitable given that it's carried out by a third party the other side of the planet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Having just watched it on the app, personally I didn't find the narrator overly 'shouty'; they're bound to be a bit upbeat considering it's showbiz, not a lecture. The only thing that bugged me was the lack of much content showing the model design and manufacture, but I guess that's pretty much inevitable given that it's carried out by a third party the other side of the planet.

Model design is carried out in the UK, as shown on the show. It's only the manufacture that is overseas.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

There was me, thinking of him as "the voice of Quest". He certainly seems to narrate lots of their programmes (not that I've got any problems with this, you understand).

Neatly illustrating why a modeller shouldn't be narrating the TV programme.