Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Model design is carried out in the UK, as shown on the show. It's only the manufacture that is overseas.

I suppose it depends on what one considers 'design';  to my way of thinking designing the tooling and the whole production flow is part of design, it isn't clear to me how much (if any) involvement Hornby have in that.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 5944 said:

"We're playing all the right episodes, but not necessarily in the right order". 

1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Absolutely.

There was always the risk that someone might see the "Preview" ... .

LOL  Would that be Andrew Preview?  :)

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

I suppose it depends on what one considers 'design';  to my way of thinking designing the tooling and the whole production flow is part of design, it isn't clear to me how much (if any) involvement Hornby have in that.

I would imagine Hornby would still be very much involved in designing the tooling, as the design of the model will need to take into account the production process. It would be very easy otherwise to design a very nice loco that can't be removed from the mould!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I watched the first 10 minutes of the show, and then I changed channels. It's not Hornby's fault; just me, I guess.  It is probably directed at the sales element of Hornby, and who can blame them? A lot of companies would sell their soul for that sort of telly exposure, so good luck to them. By necessity, niche hobbies like this need a broad brush approach, which means the sort of  viewing public who worry over the wrong shade of 'Great Western Black' will be changing TV channels.

Grumpy sods.... Who, me?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I would imagine Hornby would still be very much involved in designing the tooling,

Especially as as far as we know they own their tools and just contract out the production process.

This seems to be the norm and possibly the only one of the manufacurers in the last 50 years that didn't was Palitoy (Mainline) the majority of which were owned by Kader and led (eventually) to the setting up of Bachmann Branch Line.

Well it's good to have a programme on a creative hobby on actual TV with professional production values so happy with this.  With his knowledge of the history of "the trade" I find Simon very interesting.  His comments about how expensive train sets were for most people back in the past was a good balance about how much they cost today. Apart from the MN development  (and the shots of 35011 being rebuilt, or is that unrebuilt, or re-un rebuilt or...) I liked the snippets of the steam effect LN (and was it an A4 as well?) at the beginning, have to look out for that if it actually goes into production in the future.

What I really appreciated was seeing Callum [SDJR7F88] showing how he does his excellent filming using short lengths of track.  And- before seeing this, I hadn't realised that parts of the SDJR trackbed are now a cycle and walking path.  That's going to need a visit before too long.

So, yeah, seem to have found some interesting content in this, it's a good start to the series.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, railroadbill said:

What I really appreciated was seeing Callum [SDJR7F88] showing how he does his excellent filming using short lengths of track.  And- before seeing this, I hadn't realised that parts of the SDJR trackbed are now a cycle and walking path.  That's going to need a visit before too long.

Glad you enjoyed the segment. Was certainly a challenge doing it in front of the cameras. The layout has progressed a fair bit since filming, but is still a long way from complete (but when is a layout ever finished)

Here's my full video of the complete 7F sound edit from the day, hope it's of interest, especially now that the secret to the temporary layouts true size is out...

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I started watching the recording of the first episode tonight. My hearing is no longer perfect (I'm 76 now!) and was gutted that there are no subtitles on this series, made worse by loud background music. I  know there have been problems with subtitling on Channel 4 for nearly 3 weeks now, but it looks like the whole of this series will not have them.  Gave up after about 15 minutes.

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 28/09/2021 at 13:56, Graham_Muz said:

The first episode should also be including a visit to one of the working weekends in the restoration of  the 12" to foot scale 35011 General Steam Navigation back to original air smoothed condition complete with Bulleid's chain driven valve gear. 

See here https://www.35011gsn.co.uk/ for more details on the project.

They did indeed Graham, but I spent a few hours on the website around a fortnight ago and was very impressed. A fascinating and very worthy project, and wouldn't it be wonderful to see 35011 on a rake of pullmans on the main line at some point in the future.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, RFS said:

I started watching the recording of the first episode tonight. My hearing is no longer perfect (I'm 76 now!) and was gutted that there are no subtitles on this series, made worse by loud background music. I  know there have been problems with subtitling on Channel 4 for nearly 3 weeks now, but it looks like the whole of this series will not have them.  Gave up after about 15 minutes.

Why not send the production company an email asking them to include them in future shows? Explain their show is of interest and you’d like to watch it however lack of subtitles mean it’s unviable for you and other similarly affected viewers

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, RFS said:

A common problem with media sound .You are not alone.But this is not Channel 4 .It’s Yesterday surely  ?  Try if it’s at all possible watching with the aid of a pair of headphones. I watched the programme this way from hospital using a set of iPhone bog standard issue plugged into my iPad.  

Question: do you have a pair of hearing aids ? Sounds a daft question but many choose to avoid it 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

A common problem with media sound .You are not alone.But this is not Channel 4 .It’s Yesterday surely  ?  Try if it’s at all possible watching with the aid of a pair of headphones. I watched the programme this way from hospital using a set of iPhone bog standard issue plugged into my iPad.  

Question: do you have a pair of hearing aids ? Sounds a daft question but many choose to avoid it 

I do have hearing aids now but my hearing problem is distorted sound and it's very difficult to follow.  I've tried watching some programs via the PC where I'm close to the speakers so there's less distortion but it's still not easy.  Plus there's no way of skipping over the long advert breaks like I can do having first recorded the programs via Sky. Another problem with this program was the constant background music even when Simon Kohler is speaking direct to camera. Just wish there was a "mute background music" option!  I suspect lack of subtitles has been seen as a cost saving.

The other excellent series - The Architecture the Railways Built and Secret Underground both had subtitles and were really enjoyable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Like many who have commented here on the Hornby Programme, I too have enjoyed  the end result.  What I thought originally was that it was going to be a closely focussed number of programmes, all built around the products from Margate.  It actually broaden out into a railway modellers magazine on a variety of related topics.  I was also pleased to see it was not fearful of product placement for manufacturer and suppliers other than Hornby.  This can only be a good thing for the hobby.

I had the first knowledge of the impending production of the programme back at the beginning of July of this year when I assisted at the setting up of Pete Waterman's Chester Cathedral layout.  A cameraman from the production company was at the cathedral over a couple of days filming what was going on.   And I did sign release form  to allow my image to be published - but who knows - I may not have made the directors' final cut. 

And it mustn't be forgotten that much of it was filmed, and put together, while many were still restricted by the health concerns of the pandemic.  So well done to all involved! [Alisdair]      

• Like 4

22 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I've just checked and the UKTV Play app also does not have a subtitles option, at least on this show. Cannot understand in this day and age why it is not there? 

I think newly-established TV channels are given a 'grace period' when starting out before they are legally obliged to provide subtitles. However Yesterday/UKTV History seems to have been around long enough that the grace period should not apply.

• Like 1

I watched last night's repeat showing & was very impressed. Look forward to seeing the remaining episodes. I remember the lady from Invicta Models from her time at the Signal Box model shop in Rochester.

Edited by Littlethorpe
correction
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/10/2021 at 10:28, RedgateModels said:

've just checked and the UKTV Play app also does not have a subtitles option, at least on this show. Cannot understand in this day and age why it is not there? 

IIRC there has been an industry-wide problem with closed-caption subtitling for the past several weeks because of a fire at the offices of the company which provides this service to the TV channels. There was a comment about this in the current “Radio Times” letters pages. Service is gradually being restored, but slowly.

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Fat fingers
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Having watched it a couple of times now, my initial warm reception has cooled somewhat. And before anyone says "its not for people like me" etc, I am merely comparing to the previous Hornby program, narrated by James May. I'm afraid the comparison isnt good. This just seems weak, and superficial.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 14/10/2021 at 10:28, RedgateModels said:

I've just checked and the UKTV Play app also does not have a subtitles option, at least on this show. Cannot understand in this day and age why it is not there? 

Not just the UKTV app but several other channels including some on air C5 programmes.

It's caused by the ongoing problems at Red Bee Media who provide broadcast facilities for a lot of channels.

It's related to the "outage" where several channels went off air for various periods a couple of weeks ago.

It was claimed it was just a fire alarm causing the building to be evacuated but personally I suspect there's more to it than has been admitted.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2021 at 16:49, Markwj said:

While I am sure Hornby will have been careful not to due this I expect that I and a few others will be watching for any whiteboards in the background or any hints and clues about what may be coming next.

Just for fun you understand not obsessed at all!

Should I be panic buying froth before it is in short supply?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2021 at 11:33, RFS said:

I do have hearing aids now but my hearing problem is distorted sound and it's very difficult to follow.  I've tried watching some programs via the PC where I'm close to the speakers so there's less distortion but it's still not easy.  Plus there's no way of skipping over the long advert breaks like I can do having first recorded the programs via Sky. Another problem with this program was the constant background music even when Simon Kohler is speaking direct to camera. Just wish there was a "mute background music" option!  I suspect lack of subtitles has been seen as a cost saving.

The other excellent series - The Architecture the Railways Built and Secret Underground both had subtitles and were really enjoyable. 

Do you have a smart phone?  The Live Transcribe app can sometimes do a reasonable job with subtitles.  The background music might not help though.

Apologies if you've already tried this. My 92 year old mum has a hearing loss and finds Live Transcribe helpful.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/10/2021 at 13:00, ardbealach said:

Like many who have commented here on the Hornby Programme, I too have enjoyed  the end result.  What I thought originally was that it was going to be a closely focussed number of programmes, all built around the products from Margate.  It actually broaden out into a railway modellers magazine on a variety of related topics.  I was also pleased to see it was not fearful of product placement for manufacturer and suppliers other than Hornby.  This can only be a good thing for the hobby.

I had the first knowledge of the impending production of the programme back at the beginning of July of this year when I assisted at the setting up of Pete Waterman's Chester Cathedral layout.  A cameraman from the production company was at the cathedral over a couple of days filming what was going on.   And I did sign release form  to allow my image to be published - but who knows - I may not have made the directors' final cut. 

And it mustn't be forgotten that much of it was filmed, and put together, while many were still restricted by the health concerns of the pandemic.  So well done to all involved! [Alisdair]      

In terms of TV coverage of the hobby I grew up in an era when a Christmas documentary on the Flying Scotsman was a real highlight - if you saw it when it was broadcast.....our glass is half full surely........?

• Like 3

If the rest of the series is as well put together as the first then we are very lucky indeed. Not only seeing how a model is designed and quality checked before production, the full size restoration, the modeller, Callum researching and putting a layout together seems to cover all of mainstream modelling.   That is how people come into the hobby.  

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1