Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Being pedantic, actually as TV remakes go it is the first re-make, following a film & the original (BBC) TV series from the 70s

Yes, that's quite right, I realised that this was the case a bit later!

Looking forward to the next Hornby programme later.

• Administrators
On 23/10/2021 at 18:02, RJS1977 said:

The technology to make the scoop work would be relatively simple - it could be made to raise and lower in a similar way to the old giraffe wagon.

The giraffe head was pulled down by a magnet passing over a steel rail along the centre of the track, exactly where your water trough would be. 

15 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The giraffe head was pulled down by a magnet passing over a steel rail along the centre of the track, exactly where your water trough would be. 

I was thinking a strip of steel underneath the trough would perform the same function.

• RMweb Gold

Oooh I just got a name check on this weeks episode thanks Simon and Sam! The GBL is a good model see my review of it here 

https://southern-railway.com/2021/05/01/the-all-new-Hornby-sr-gangwayed-bogie-luggage-vans-arrive/

This after I appeared and was pixilated in the first episode..! 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold

I may be in a minority but I just feel this series is getting stronger as it goes although I noted a bit of false jeopardy sneaking in- what timescale was the model being made to - why did it have to be on sale for a particular date.

While probably staged it was fascinating to see the review of the reviews as this could conceivably be similar to what occurs when a new model hits the magazines although I did feel as a forum member we were painted a bit as the bad guys- better be right - what will the forums say kind of comment was made!

Very excited to see the apt episode is next week though!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

I may be in a minority but I just feel this series is getting stronger as it goes although I noted a bit of false jeopardy sneaking in- what timescale was the model being made to - why did it have to be on sale for a particular date.

While probably staged it was fascinating to see the review of the reviews as this could conceivably be similar to what occurs when a new model hits the magazines although I did feel as a forum member we were painted a bit as the bad guys- better be right - what will the forums say kind of comment was made!

Very excited to see the apt episode is next week though!

Quite agree the program is getting better, what's more to the point, it wasn't all about some a SR parcel van, which did look good but also a big layout up north which might be on tour soon in redundant high street department stores

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How many lorries and men is moving that exhibit around going to demand? It certainly brings a whole new dimension to the term "portable layout"!

Back to Hornby itself, though; comparing it with everything else I've bought from them in the past decade, I reckon their new SR Gangwayed Luggage Van is one of the most refined, accurate, and least compromised models they've produced in that time. 

The new young designer has set himself a high benchmark, and I'm eager to see more examples of his work now he's had some practice!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think they need to sex it up a bit and be a bit more Apprentice-like. Get the designers in a room and set them a task and the one who gets the most criticism in the modelling press gets fired by SK. Or  clear the seagulls off the roof with only a broom!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

“why did it have to be on sale for a particular date”

I would guess that Hornby had a booked a manufacturing slot over in China 

Terry 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ELTEL said:

“why did it have to be on sale for a particular date”

I would guess that Hornby had a booked a manufacturing slot over in China 

Terry 

I'd think that's what would normally set deadlines. An intended launch date should be more flexible unless there's a big prototype anniversary or centenary involved. 

Getting new models out "in time for Warley" (or some other major exhibition) tends to be something that others obsess about. Hornby have usually seemed happy enough to stimulate orders by exhibiting samples.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I agree that the series is settling down, but a lot of each show is nothing to do with Hornby. 

Last night's is a good example, the "World's Largest Model Railway" was Gauge O, so had no Hornby rolling stock.  The idea, of using empty department stores as exhibition space, is sound, but I can't help the overall idea is "courageous" as Sir Humphrey Appleby might say, it seemed a very good reproduction of Simon's childhood memories, but is that of any interest to many other people?  The costs of moving the layout will be significant, you are not going to get that in a back of a Transit.

I remember Bertram Otto's "World's Biggest Model Railway" at Colchester Zoo and several display layouts at London department stores, notably one in Gamages, which was less realistic, but had a lot more going on, and dare I say more appealing to the general public than an authentic layout?

I have seen videos of such layouts in Europe and "Pocket Planet" is still on track (sorry!) for London next year.

jch

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Its enjoyable telly  and I think getting better . I liked the large layout last night  and well done to the young designer of the Utility van. 

There are a few things you got to smile about though . The deadline for the Utility Van . It must be on sale by then . What about the APT , Class 91 etc etc , most famously the Blue Merchant Navy .....time lagged years !

You've got to get all the rivetts right ,because someone will point it out ,  but you can leave a dirty great capacitor visible . The APT episode should be fun .

Then the review of all the reviews - I'd say not exactly representative of the enthusiast in general . Mike Wilds (Hornby Mag) very superficial review of the A2 being a case in point .  Might pick up on 50 shaes of green or the right colour of blue on GBRf if look at these forums full of "rivett counters" or even have a look at YouTube ........light bleed on a Mk3 DVT  for instance . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Harris said:

the "World's Largest Model Railway" was Gauge O, so had no Hornby rolling stock.  The idea, of using empty department stores as exhibition space, is sound, but I can't help the overall idea is "courageous" as Sir Humphrey Appleby might say, it seemed a very good reproduction of Simon's childhood memories, but is that of any interest to many other people?  The costs of moving the layout will be significant, you are not going to get that in a back of a Transit.

jch

I agree

Expertly modelled but very much local interest.

From what we could see, there wasn't a station. no sidings and very few buildings. It was just a very long diorama with lots of grass.

It probably gives the builder great pleasure operating it like the real location.

However, IMHO not very appealing to the general public.

I can't really see it, as a travelling exhibit,being a successful enterprise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

From my experience with an exhibition layout, what the general public like to see is trains running. Add the names Hornby (who supplied the stock) and Pete Waterman and it will draw the crowds because they can relate to those names.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Jol Wilkinson said:

From my experience with an exhibition layout, what the general public like to see is trains running. Add the names Hornby (who supplied the stock) and Pete Waterman and it will draw the crowds because they can relate to those names.

Size also matters - which may play well with Heaton Lodge Junc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

And, if you are one who prefers to watch trains going by, a station-free layout can be the better plan.

Stations are the aspect of any layout that are the most likely to be "adjusted" (compromised) to fit the available space, which leads on to trains being abbreviated so as not to draw attention to the shortened station. Thus, the absence of one can arguably make a layout more convincing.

It also cuts out the jack-rabbit starts to which some operators are prone....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I cant believe they got that guy to count all the rivets. Maybe that was a practical joke Simon played on him  - in the old days they would have got the new young guy to collect some Tartan paint, or a tin of elbow grease.

• Funny 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I agree

Expertly modelled but very much local interest.

From what we could see, there wasn't a station. no sidings and very few buildings. It was just a very long diorama with lots of grass.

It probably gives the builder great pleasure operating it like the real location.

However, IMHO not very appealing to the general public.

I can't really see it, as a travelling exhibit,being a successful enterprise.

It's evident that several posters in this topic haven't been following the build of the project on here over the last few years (or buy BRM). The programme did explain the motivations behind it. You're quite dismissive of it without reliasing quite how good the actual modelling is.

33 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I think you may be mixing Heaton Lodge up with Pete's 'Making Tracks'. many of the locos for Heaton Lodge are Heljan (Hornby don't do O) and although PW is opening Heaton Lodge's first show has had enough on his plate with his project.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1