Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

just dumbfounded

Sums up my thoughts when I saw your use of cling film. Such a simple idea and one I should have used before I stuck down some cobblestones up against a building that is far from finished.

Anyway, family off to bed so can watch the programme on catch up and then i'll have a vague idea about what everyone is talking about. :D

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm not advocating their use. But you can get those small ones that chefs use for things like Crème Brulee.

A lot less brutal than the type that workmen and DIYers use.

Jason

If you want to try the technique, the effective way is using a big one as it affects a larger area with a much more random pattern. It’s done early in the overall scenery construction, so as not to damage other work or materials. 

Edited by PMP
Chelling speck
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, John Harris said:

Making a dedicated manager look like an idiot is surely not "done for TV", it's not flipping "Love Island".

It doesn't make him look an 'idiot'; that may be your opinion from it but I'm steadily forming my own of you based on your posts. I'd suggest piping down with some of your comments or I'll just remove you from the discussion.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PMP said:

If you want to try the technique, the effective way is using a big one as it affects a larger area with a much more random pattern. It’s done early in the overall scenery construction, so as not to damage other work or materials. 

But you can imagine the discussion on an insurance claim "so you were burning some old teddy fur attached to wooden framework using a blowtorch when your house caught fire?  Am I hearing that correctly?"   :D

Of course, this is why 'accidental' cover is so important on your policy, like when I put a hole in my main room carpet whilst hammering together some bits of Ikea metal parts to a shelf unit.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

37 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It doesn't make him look an 'idiot'; that may be your opinion from it but I'm steadily forming my own of you based on your posts. I'd suggest piping down with some of your comments or I'll just remove you from the discussion.

There was a time I thought Ant and Dec were naturally gifted comic presenters until I discovered that SMTV live was all scripted.

Mine eyes were opened and TV was never ever the same again.

Edited by woodenhead
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Well, that seems a tad uncalled for or it is your "forum"?  

I have never expressed any opinions that could be considered extreme or even controversial, yet I get subjected to an unwarranted personal attack from someone I have never met.  

I would not presume to suggest that you "pipe down", but I do suggest you take yourself away from the keyboard and consider whether your comments are contributing to the general friendly tone of the RM forums, you are a "Moderator", the clue is in the name...

jch 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I do suggest you take yourself away from the keyboard

I don't have that option so I'm doing the next best thing. Access to the topic now removed. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Reading some of the comments on this thread makes me wonder if I’m watching the same episodes.

If anyone thinks this is going to be a critical expose of how Hornby runs it’s business then they are fooling themselves.  It’s entertainment - accept it as such and just enjoy it.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 11
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, John Harris said:

Well, that seems a tad uncalled for or it is your "forum"?  

Probably one of the most ill-judged/misinformed comments I've seen for a while....  :scratchhead:

Again, another interesting episode, though the "Railroad: The Movie" segment was a bit ear-wrenching!  I thought that it would benefit from some smoke and laser strobing for added visual effect.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

There was a brief couple of seconds of Everard Junction in this weeks episode. Hopefully more in a future episode. It was a view of a Bachmann 37 but it was blink and you will miss it short :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2021 at 17:01, PaulRhB said:

Where do you get that data from? “Many people” would suggest you have access to a largish survey result?

I have just visited the Hornby visitor centre for the first time on a trip to the UK.  My opinion is that it is most definitely worth the £5 entry, but I would not buy a season card. It being a school day meant that there were few children. But the ones who were there were very enthusiastic, definitely potential new customers. So I think Hornby have got it right. But some of the railways definitely could use a bit of TLC. There were several hills with patches of bare white plaster showing. I am pretty sure that I spotted some Metcalfe card buildings in some places. What disappointed me is that there is a screen showing an hour long history on a screen. But you can not buy it on Dvd

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2021 at 12:05, spamcan61 said:

Absolutely, conveniently ignoring people's ability to accurately recall a colour they last saw 50 / 60 years ago. I don't get hung up on "exact" colour personally, I was just making the point that Hornby's less than perfect QC / whatever wasn't limited to D&E.

Don't mention colour and 50s.

I did once and I think I got away with it.......

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Vistisen said:

I have just visited the Hornby visitor centre for the first time on a trip to the UK.  My opinion is that it is most definitely worth the £5 entry, but I would not buy a season card. It being a school day meant that there were few children. But the ones who were there were very enthusiastic, definitely potential new customers. So I think Hornby have got it right. But some of the railways definitely could use a bit of TLC. There were several hills with patches of bare white plaster showing. I am pretty sure that I spotted some Metcalfe card buildings in some places. What disappointed me is that there is a screen showing an hour long history on a screen. But you can not buy it on Dvd

I don’t  know what they show in the visitors centre , it’s the other end of the country for me, but if you looking for dvds on history there’s a good trilogy from Axion Video on Hornby Dublo, Tri-ang and Tri-ang Hornby . I bought mine sometime ago, I believe you can watch them on YouTube . 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

They are better with steam locos. The GWR green from Tri-ang days is spot on.

Hall.jpg

I remember this loco been on sale Phil , what exactly was 5he point of it?

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Hall.jpg

Someone from Margate must have seen the Hogwarts Express, mind you they still got the red a bit off.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, russ p said:

I remember this loco been on sale Phil , what exactly was 5he point of it?

Lord Westwood was Chair of Hornby and the number is/was their office phone line. IIRC one of the magazines stated he was presented with one with a bespoke blacked out cab window as he wore an eye-patch.

Perhaps marketing department saw potential sales to non-enthusiast parent buyers as red more striking for a toy than green and two colours possibly meant two sales not one.

Edited by john new
Typo & formatting.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, john new said:

Someone from Margate must have seen the Hogwarts Express, mind you they still got the red a bit off.

If they did, they have a time machine. This was released in 1973 and the first Harry Potter book in 1991. They had to wait until 2001 for a film.

7 minutes ago, john new said:

Perhaps marketing department saw potential sales to non-enthusiast parent buyers as red more striking for a toy than green and two colours possibly meant two sales not one.

It is a popular item on the collectors market. I'd love one, but not at the prices they normally sell for.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

If they did, they have a time machine. This was released in 1973 and the first Harry Potter book in 1991. They had to wait until 2001 for a film.

It is a popular item on the collectors market. I'd love one, but not at the prices they normally sell for.

But that assumes there is no real Hogwarts Express! (Yes I know it is really a fiction)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Hall.jpg

Those Triang "Halls" were ugly things, no matter what the colour, and the steamroller wheels didn't help the appearance either!

I've got an "Albert Hall" and the best thing you can say about it is that if you run it in the dark, you can see where it is on the layout by the flashes and sparks from the wheels and pickups...

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2021 at 12:33, Hroth said:

Those Triang "Halls" were ugly things, no matter what the colour, and the steamroller wheels didn't help the appearance either!

I've got an "Albert Hall" and the best thing you can say about it is that if you run it in the dark, you can see where it is on the layout by the flashes and sparks from the wheels and pickups...

Still using the same green............

image.png.b4e376af24e079c5adb82ff057c7d4c4.png 

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 1