Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

1 hour ago, col.stephens said:

There was one of those medical programmes on tv a couple of nights ago which included the usual gory shots of operations taking place.  Amusingly, a respected heart surgeon, doing a piece to camera, said that he originally wanted to be a lorry driver!  He sounded rather disappointed that his career ambition didn't work out!

Terry

Wrong kind of bypass

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2021 at 23:56, Steamport Southport said:

Then again I'm pretty sure that Humbrol did a Fifty Shades Of Grey style advert.

Might have seen it in one of the plastic kit modelling magazines rather than a railway one.

Here it is.

spacer.png

Brilliant, my kind of colour, having painted warships for much of my life. Only one grey appears to be missing (off-hand): squirrel grey, as applied to KaiserlicheMarineSchiffe (WWI Germany Navy Warships). Thanks for posting this.

Going off on a tangent slightly...I know a number of people who have gotten in to Bob Ross tv painting show as a calming and enjoyable passtime. It makes me think that a similar TV program along the lines of the excellent Everard Junction would also go down well with modellers and non modellers alike. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Brian Indge said:

Bit disappointed with this latest episode, I felt sure we would see Sam’s Trains putting up his Christmas Decs and shutting down the National Grid!

Probably just as well.

I was dreading what further "innovations" the "Variac Kid" might have come up with ... .

(Nothing personal, you understand - I just don't much care for the sort of "buzz" he appeared to be introducing to "the world's greatest hobby".)

Huw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Silly Moo said:

Anyone know why Corgi and Scalextric don’t seem to have been featured at all? Is there another series on the cards? 

Steady tiger, there's another four episodes yet... :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Anybody else notice that the people getting paid to build Mosquito kits for a living (Jealous ? Moi ?)  were using Tamiya Thin rather than the in-house product to stick them together ? 

It's no wonder Hobbycraft have dropped Humbrol paints when even Hornby HQ can't get hold of Humbrol products (like glue).

• Funny 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Silly Moo said:

Anyone know why Corgi and Scalextric don’t seem to have been featured at all?

Corgi already has (Bristol Fighter) and Scalextric (JLR Formula E) will later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Anybody else notice that the people getting paid to build Mosquito kits for a living (Jealous ? Moi ?)  were using Tamiya Thin rather than the in-house product to stick them together ? 

I suspect they might have been using the Tamiya adhesive because it's good stuff - the quick setting one is amazing.

Saying that, Humbrol "Liquid Poly" smells quite nice - sorry, I probably wasn't supposed to say that ... .

1 hour ago, Nile said:

It's no wonder Hobbycraft have dropped Humbrol paints when even Hornby HQ can't get hold of Humbrol products (like glue).

Meanwhile, the Tamiya adhesive has recently been noticeable by its absence from a number of model shops in my part of the world.

Of course, if Hornby had actually had difficulty getting hold of their own adhesive, they could always have used cellulose thinner (which I believe they also market, in tiny jars) instead.

I know the stuff works - although I get it (in much bigger containers - usually under names like "professional" or "universal" paint thinner) when decorating supplies appear in the "middle of Lidl".

Huw.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Aye, I also spotted several different kit manufacturers products dotted around to desks too, Eduard was certainly one of them. There could be many reasons for this of course; seeing how the competition do certain things, break time projects brought in by the staff, or even discount purchases made through 'the trade' (if that's even a thing!)

Anyhoo, it's been enjoyable and relaxing so far, not ground breaking, but definitely watchable and an easy way to unwind after work!

Cheers

J

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Aye, I also spotted several different kit manufacturers products dotted around to desks too, Eduard was certainly one of them. There could be many reasons for this of course; seeing how the competition do certain things, break time projects brought in by the staff, or even discount purchases made through 'the trade' (if that's even a thing!)

Anyhoo, it's been enjoyable and relaxing so far, not ground breaking, but definitely watchable and an easy way to unwind after work!

Cheers

J

Yes said that out loud here when I saw the boxes in surprise and surprisingly it did not start a meaningful conversation with the missus about it either. :)

Best episode so far I think.

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Cheers

J

Many years ago an acquaintance was in a group invited to visit Hornby at Margate. They enjoyed a comprehensive site tour, the only area they weren't allowed to see was behind a door marked "Kit Store".

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

14 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Many years ago an acquaintance was in a group invited to visit Hornby at Margate. They enjoyed a comprehensive site tour, the only area they weren't allowed to see was behind a door marked "Kit Store".

It was where they kept Kit Spackman in case they ever wanted to do another APT.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Three people to repair a dodgy decoder.

How many to fix a light bulb ?

"11 ..."

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

The same, plus one to recognise it as an LED....  :scratchhead:

"... which now gives us 100."

Somehow, I can't see this binary malarkey catching on any time soon.

Huw.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Somehow, I can't see this binary malarkey catching on any time soon.

You don't have to understand the stuff to be able to use it, more's the pity.  Just look at the youbooktwits making a nuisance of themselves....

Of course, an understanding of binary is useful for setting DCC decoders, especially the permutations of CV29.  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just finished watching the latest episode and generally thought it was fab. The young chap who designed the Mosquito is clearly an extremely talented asset for Hornby.

I was a little taken aback, when watching the footage of the excellent 'Everard Junction', to note that Richard didn't appear to be using any fume extraction when airbrushing that coach, or perhaps that was off camera? I note that he is a regular contributor on here, so perhaps he may wish to comment?

I was also wondering if there is going to be a dedicated feature to Pete Goss and his layouts in a future programme, although the war-gaming modelling that he and his son produced was obviously high quality.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I was a little taken aback, when watching the footage of the excellent 'Everard Junction', to note that Richard didn't appear to be using any fume extraction when airbrushing that coach, or perhaps that was off camera? I note that he is a regular contributor on here, so perhaps he may wish to comment?

Actually I thought that in an earlier one, where the chap at Hornby trying to paint-match the shades for the APT was seen using an airbrush.  He was working in a fume cabinet with an extractor fan running, but I'd have expected H+S regs to have him wearing a respirator mask too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Actually I thought that in an earlier one, where the chap at Hornby trying to paint-match the shades for the APT was seen using an airbrush.  He was working in a fume cabinet with an extractor fan running, but I'd have expected H+S regs to have him wearing a respirator mask too.

Why?

PPE should always be a last resort. If their risk assessment proves that the fume cabinet (an engineering control) adequately controls the hazard to as low as reasonably practicable then no PPE should be issued. Locking the door to the room would be more effective as it removes anyone else from the hazard ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm glad you raised this - I was wondering if I should - I'm a great fan of the "Junction". Richard may well have had a respirator on "off camera" but as with the electrickery discussed elsewhere this was not ideal to show without some sort of comment - " for the purposes of filming etc"

Chris

• Like 1