Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

also wondering if there is going to be a dedicated feature to Pete Goss and his layouts in a future programme,

There's a lot more of @Pete Goss in Episode 9 I'm pleased to say.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

I'm glad you raised this - I was wondering if I should - I'm a great fan of the "Junction". Richard may well have had a respirator on "off camera" but as with the electrickery discussed elsewhere this was not ideal to show without some sort of comment - " for the purposes of filming etc"

Chris

I don't believe it was mentioned in this segment but as a fan of his channel i know its something he always makes a point of mentioning as a must have in his youtube videos

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

I don't believe it was mentioned in this segment but as a fan of his channel i know its something he always makes a point of mentioning as a must have in his youtube videos

Thanks - that's what I thought - good old TV...

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 18/11/2021 at 13:44, Chrisr40 said:

Quite right, thanks for pointing that out.  I always use the spray booth in my videos unless it's something on the layout like track weathering where use of extraction is not possible or practical.

The filming they did with me was shot in a single day.  It was very much unplanned with the majority taking place in the loft.  The cameraman had a rough idea of the format he needed to follow and we just worked off the top of our heads from that. 

I do most of the modelling work and airbrushing elsewhere in the house but there is limited space.  With the cameraman and all his gear setup in the loft we just tried to get it all done from there.

As Andy and Phil have said previously much of what you see is for the sake of TV.  I'm sure Hornby and many of the individuals who have taken part work completely differently when not on camera and working to a timescale. 

Edited by richard w
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, richard w said:

Quite right, thanks for pointing that out.  I always use the spray booth in my videos unless it's something on the layout like track weathering were use of extraction is not possible or practical.

The filming they did with me was shot in a single day.  It was very much unplanned with the majority taking place in the loft.  The cameraman had a rough idea of the format he needed to follow and we just worked off the top of our heads from that. 

I do most of the modelling work and airbrushing elsewhere in the house but there is limited space.  With the cameraman and all his gear setup in the loft we just tried to get it all done from there.

As Andy and Phil have said previously much of what you see is for the sake of TV.  I'm sure Hornby and many of the individuals who have taken part work completely differently when not on camera and working to a timescale. 

I completely accept that and realise you do make a point on your normal videos- I think the production people should just note it - along the lines of "guards have been removed this machinery for filming purposes only" which I've seen from time to time. Given other episodes I'm surprised they don't have some sort of safety/risk assessment.

Sadly too many people think a card board box is fine to spray into as it protects the table top....job done

best wishes

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 4

The latest advert for this programme suggests Sam's Trains might be about to provide another 'made for tv' special appearance.

You wonder if the conversation went along the lines of:

Production team: "throughout this series we've strived to show the skill and devotion to detail the modellers have and expect manufacturers to provide.  The quest to do better, to push on for even higher standards.   But perhaps this is all too serious and we need to show a flippant side that undoes all of this?"

Sam's Trains: "hold my beer..."

Edited by Ouroborus
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2021 at 16:25, RedgateModels said:

LOL that was the point ;)

it would have made too much sense to have put "10" :)

He's right. There are 11 type of people who understand binary. those who do, those who don't and those who think they do. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

The trailer for episode 7 doesn’t feature Sam - might you be watching the trailer for a previous episode? 

it does feature some nutter attempting to build an upside down layout though. 

There has been a trailer (screened several times last week) showing Sam being moved/pulled (I presume) on some sort of trolley attached to a number of locos running on parallel tracks laid on the carpet tiles.  Effectively the hint was that this would be in the next programme, i.e. this evening.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

There has been a trailer (screened several times last week) showing Sam being moved/pulled (I presume) on some sort of trolley attached to a number of locos running on parallel tracks laid on the carpet tiles.  Effectively the hint was that this would be in the next programme, i.e. this evening.

That sounds like its taken from this video from Feb 2020:

• Like 1

Hornby Dublo did this when they introduced one of their three rail diesel models, the Deltic, in 1960. The PR exercise was to demonstrate the power of the new Ringfield motor. Three Deltic locos hauled eight stone Miss Glenna Ferdinand on a "special trolley", which rather puts Sam's efforts (or the pulling power of recent RTR locos) to shame.

Frankly however what Sam's stunt really has to do with model railways I don't know. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Groan....is that being powered through a possible  Lightning conductor mounted in the roof?

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Oh, dearie me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hornby Dublo did this when they introduced one of their three rail diesel models, the Deltic, in 1960. The PR exercise was to demonstrate the power of the new Ringfield motor. Three Deltic locos hauled eight stone Miss Glenna Ferdinand on a "special trolley", which rather puts Sam's efforts (or the pulling power of recent RTR locos) to shame.

Frankly however what Sam's stunt really has to do with model railways I don't know. 

Yes, all been done before.

img1963.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Sussex Yard said:

Just a genuine question & I may be late to the party, but where does Sam get his finances from?

Owning 400+ locos & a room full of stock can't surely be funded by sponsorship from Hornby & YT income?

The channel often bashes quality, yet he's (potentially) massacring expensive locos to pull himself on a trolley.

Perhaps after buying them from Hattons and 'massacaring' them, he sells them to Rails :lol:

Perhaps he is GhostDude

• Funny 7