Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

49 minutes ago, Sussex Yard said:

Just a genuine question & I may be late to the party, but where does Sam get his finances from?

Owning 400+ locos & a room full of stock can't surely be funded by sponsorship from Hornby & YT income?

The channel often bashes quality, yet he's (potentially) massacring expensive locos to pull himself on a trolley.

Large room that most of us could only dream of?

I expect it's Bank of Mum and Dad. But that's his business as long as he's not been doing anything dodgy.

I've probably got a similar amount. But that's from something like 45 years of buying them, most of which were bargains or cheap second hand. Easily done if you don't dispose of your old ones. Must have about fifty old Lima diesels for example.

Jason

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim V said:

Yes, all been done before.

img1963.jpg

I'd wondered if somebody coming across the past efforts by Hornby Dublo might have been the 'inspiration' for including something along a vaguely similar theme in this series?   Might you I bet they won't mention the fact that HD diid with a lot fewer locos ;)   Anyway it might, or might not, add a bit of rather childish amusement to this evening's edition should it be screened tonight (as the ads have implied).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hornby Dublo did this when they introduced one of their three rail diesel models, the Deltic, in 1960. The PR exercise was to demonstrate the power of the new Ringfield motor. Three Deltic locos hauled eight stone Miss Glenna Ferdinand on a "special trolley", which rather puts Sam's efforts (or the pulling power of recent RTR locos) to shame.

Frankly however what Sam's stunt really has to do with model railways I don't know. 

Nothing at all.

But viewing figures are another matter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

The trailer for episode 7 doesn’t feature Sam - might you be watching the trailer for a previous episode? 

it does feature some nutter attempting to build an upside down layout though. 

Isn't there a European HO or P87 layout where this happens in the fiddle yard (with the trains on some kind of continuous belt)?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

A rival HST???  Who saw that coming??

interesting . Simon Kohlers had a tip off of a rival HST !  I wonder who . Could backfire on him as we might all now hold off to see if it’s who we hope it is . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Legend said:

interesting . Simon Kohlers had a tip off of a rival HST !  I wonder who . Could backfire on him as we might all now hold off to see if it’s who we hope it is . 

Watching this, I'm suspecting BS.  What they're saying doesn't sit with their initial comments about the Blue Pullman HST when they refused to model the third headlight.

• Like 3

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

manufacturers who seemingly court his attentions

I'm not sure any actually do Ian, some most certainly and vehemently don't.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• Administrators
On 21/11/2021 at 20:39, Jenny Emily said:

The trailer for episode 7 doesn’t feature Sam - might you be watching the trailer for a previous episode? 

And if you want to know more about said "nutter" and that layout, there is an exclusive interview in the upcoming World of Railways, Virtual Show.

Also, the cutting edge magazine BRM, did upside down trains first...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, RJS1977 said:

ISTR a layout at Warley some years ago where trains got to the edge of the baseboard, flipped over and ran back upside down underneath the board!

Yes, but they were attached to conveyor belt style bands, not gripping the tracks as @Jenny Emily managed - a far simpler proposition, although it looked brilliant.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 20:39, Jenny Emily said:

Sorry Jen but when you were described as a "You Tube Influencer" I very nearly was influenced to switch off* ;)  but hopefully that was just modern TV people's speak - it's an awful phrase in my opinion!!

As I don't model in 4mm, not even Hornby count as an 'influencer' on me, although their dire products of the mid/late '80s did influence me to leave 4mm, never to return.... :no:

I am enjoying the series, though.

*Edit: just to clarify in re-reading my post, it could've been anyone given that description, not because it was Jenny in particular.  :blush:

Edited by F-UnitMad
clarification.
  • Like 1

I'm afraid the episode demonstrated again to me the 'silo' mentality between the different brands. The 'clip together' Airfix Ford Mustangs (clearly influenced by Lego) were great - but they would have been better still if there was an ability to clip them to a Scalextric chassis....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm afraid the episode demonstrated again to me the 'silo' mentality between the different brands. The 'clip together' Airfix Ford Mustangs (clearly influenced by Lego) were great - but they would have been better still if there was an ability to clip them to a Scalextric chassis....

I'm sure there was a set of cars years ago that offered this. As I recall, they were American hot rods.

One limitation of Quick Build is that the design is licensed by the prototype manufacturer, so it has to be accurate. I wonder if that affects the process. The cars I recall were very full of motor block which could compromise the outline. 

Also, I think QuickBuild are a larger scale than Scalextric aren't they?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1