Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

3 minutes ago, Ruston said:

This seems to be the right place to ask this... I've watched this series and every now and again they show a large electric loco, painted green, running on a layout. It's not any prototype that I recognise and the model isn't anything that I've seen in the shops.

What is it?

It's a Spanish loco, from the Electrotren range:- it'll be in here somewhere- https://uk.electrotren.com/catalogue

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ruston said:

This seems to be the right place to ask this... I've watched this series and every now and again they show a large electric loco, painted green, running on a layout. It's not any prototype that I recognise and the model isn't anything that I've seen in the shops.

What is it?

I replied to a similar question back up the thread, but to save the searching, it's a Spanish RENFE Class 278.

spacer.png

Image from listotren.es

They were built in the mid-50's and finally withdrawn in the early 1990's. The Hornby (Electrotren) model is beautiful, like most of their range, and I would have one, but my layout is set in Catalunya, and the 278's were mostly confined to Northern Spain.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Add it to your Tyco Turbo Train set, maybe?

Up the wall, a loop-the-loop and a 'daredevil' jump - I can't imagine why it never caught on :jester:

tyco_package_super_turbo_7434.jpg.e09274de729822f0264e1dcaa8e36bcd.jpg

Knocks the old Triang Battle Space car for six!!  

I had one of these until very recently. I tried putting it up for my son, but unfortunately the motor was worn out, and the magnets had lost most of their magnetism, so couldn't make the loop-the-loop, but could just about do the jump.  Was a lot of fun in my youth when it all worked properly.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Legend said:

I remember 3DS  , around 1980,81?  Was Hornbys attempt to cash in on the Star Wars / Spaceship phenomenon . Unfortuanately it was a complete failure . They dont seem to ever learn that their core competence is railways. 

If we are talking integrating ranges , I remember these great sets with Minic Motorways and Tri-Ang . These really excited me as a wee boy . There are still a few examples around . 

You lot are horrible, I had never heard of the 3DS until now. I find myself browsing eBay for examples now! :locomotive:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

32 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Wonder if we will ever see this improved Hst..

the talk of them having fully working lighting inc day/night time modes also would mean FINALLY ditching the 8 pin decoders 

Unless they have done the lighting in the same way as the Class 60, with a switch to change the light routing....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Add it to your Tyco Turbo Train set, maybe?

Up the wall, a loop-the-loop and a 'daredevil' jump - I can't imagine why it never caught on :jester:

tyco_package_super_turbo_7434.jpg.e09274de729822f0264e1dcaa8e36bcd.jpg

Knocks the old Triang Battle Space car for six!!  

Now why can't S*m's Trains do a video where he converts a Smokey Joe to run on one of these...? Or even the Hornby Zappy thing, as I'm sure they have one in the Museum. Here's one on eBay (no connection to seller):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Boxed-Hornby-3-D-S-Three-Dimensional-Space-System-Mission-1-3DS-1970s-/165189077496?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 1

On 22/11/2021 at 22:56, Phil Parker said:

I'm sure there was a set of cars years ago that offered this. As I recall, they were American hot rods.

In the early 80's when Airfix was independent of the Hornby group they sold a Scalextric compatible range of cars under the Airfix/MRRC brand.  We had these in the shop I worked at, (and at £4 each were a fair bit cheaper IIRC) when the first Airfix kits of the custom cars turned up I checked a standard MRRC white Cortina MK1 car and compared it to the customised Airfix kit, it was the same body shell. So we built  a few of a hybrid of the 2, MRRC chassis with bright yellow Airfix body, the various customisation fitting and decals of a dragon. These sold like hot cakes!.

The others released at the same time were a Zodiac and a Capri.

vintage-32-airfix-kansas-kruiser.jpg.2637ee123d0f928522991258b1615a8c.jpg     airfix-mrrc-motorace-lotus-ford_360_99bd6bbf6c551e8f26a07567aac4200b.jpg.8c7dc7f6ae7512980e6c23965586eb1f.jpg   04402-4np.jpg.76d208e150bc9f4750b9e0dae6dcf80f.jpg      vintage-airfix-32-krackle-kat-ford_360_e9032bf51433035e5331beff2eaee0bc.jpg.9b520d8558d9bc7ed7a3e26ed1581abd.jpg

Neil

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

It's a Spanish loco, from the Electrotren range:- it'll be in here somewhere- https://uk.electrotren.com/catalogue

Built by Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval with Westinghouse Electrical equipment. The order was Largely US financed.

SECN was majority owned by John Brown & Vickers-Armstrong.

IMHO it has a faintly EE look about it but not the US style bogies.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

You lot are horrible, I had never heard of the 3DS until now. I find myself browsing eBay for examples now! :locomotive:

I always thought it might be a good basis for a monorail , but other than that I'm afraid it met with complete indifference .

On 23/11/2021 at 00:22, adb968008 said:

Tbh what caught my eye more than a new HST was the more than incidental recording of the class 14, they went through full sequence recording of it.

I dont think Hornby will make a class 14, there would be no point. But the same engine was used in a class 74… (which is why they were so unsuited to class 1 high speed passenger work to Weymouth), and that they could do a class 74 off their class 71 chassis. Its an odd ball choice though

On 23/11/2021 at 13:23, caradoc said:

IIRC Class 74 did not work passenger trains west of Bournemouth, ie on diesel power, although they did do so over the short and slow distance into Southampton Docks. 

On 23/11/2021 at 18:06, Phatbob said:

IIRC the modus operandi was to replace the big ED (74) with a Crompton (33) at Bournemouth in the early years after electrification.  In later years they just used a Crompton all the way from Waterloo!

On 23/11/2021 at 20:52, lapford34102 said:

The 74's weren't "woefully underpowered"on diesel, it was adequate for what they needed to do off the 3rd rail which included cross London transfers. They did get to Weymouth for a time but only on shortish parcels turns. A Crompton all the way from Waterloo to Weymouth was almost unknown, I can't recall the boat ever been diesel the whole way. After the 74's went they used 73's to Bomo.

To get back on topic perhaps Hornby will give us a 74....... :-)

Stu

They were never any booked passenger trains with 74s to Weymouth and I have no idea where the idea there were came from.  There was however a booked early morning turn up from Poole with TCs for a while.  This didn't last very long though because even if the 74 was in a co-operative mood, Parkstone Bank resulted in time being lost hand over fist.  The CI Boat Train in class 74 days loaded to 10 or 11 bogies and was a challenging assignment west of Bournemouth even for a 33 especially in the up direction.  There is no way the SR would have considered putting an ED on it beyond Bournemouth.  

33/1s from Waterloo to Weymouth was a feature in some timetables on one of the overnight trains (sometimes with a locomotive swap at Eastleigh) but the CI Boat Train was always booked for an ED to/from Bournemouth.  The only other time it happened was when the normal route was blocked (eg during the various works over the years on Southampton Tunnel) when 33/1 + 8TC would work throughout from Waterloo to Weymouth via Laverstock and a reversal at Southampton Central.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Miss Prism said:

The script for next week's show looks to be a winner:

- Contrived narrative about opposition products - check
- Kohler spouting inanities about accuracy - check
- Field trip with camera - check
- Tinkering with some CAD - check
- "but there is a problem" - check
- problem is miraculously solved - check
- Uncle Simon declares new product an unqualified success - check

What foresight....

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Apologies if I've missed this anywhere, but do Hornby have a tie-up with Heljan? I was most surprised earlier in the series when they did a piece on HLJ which is all Heljan (and sponsored by them) and on last night's episode the Editor of the Hornby magazine was seen being handed a Heljan Class 37.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Apologies if I've missed this anywhere, but do Hornby have a tie-up with Heljan? I was most surprised earlier in the series when they did a piece on HLJ which is all Heljan (and sponsored by them) and on last night's episode the Editor of the Hornby magazine was seen being handed a Heljan Class 37.

I do find it a bit odd that the programme is billed as "Hornby: A Model World" but in reality it seems to be more of a general look at different aspects of model railways. I'm not complaining, that's more interesting IMHO, but not quite what it says on the tin.  The producers know sticking the name "Hornby" into the title will at least strike a chord with a broader audience than just 'model railways', as with Hornby Magazine, so that's what they do.

• Agree 5

On 26/11/2021 at 19:23, Miss Prism said:

Miss P,

should we call you Mystic Meg now?

It's getting a bit like Kevin McCLoud's Grand Designs, where things have to go wrong (or be in jeopardy) before everything works out perfectly. The directors presumably think it makes for good TV but it gets rather boring, week after week.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Despite the name , Hornby Magazine is not run by Hornby . It is in fact published by Key Publishing .  While there are close links to Hornby , you quite often see latest pics in there and theres two pages of Hornby news , it is a model railway magazine like any other , Railway Modeller etc . This means you will commonly find Heljan, Bachmann etc etc all well represented .  I think the loco handed was O gauge .

Another entertaining show , but very much following the script outlined by Miss Prism . Not exactly groundbreaking 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Miss P,

It's getting a bit like Kevin McCLoud's Grand Designs, where things have to go wrong (or be in jeopardy) before everything works out perfectly. The directors presumably think it makes for good TV but it gets rather boring, week after week.

Absolutely, SWMBO currently spends her evenings watching episodes of Grand Designs back to back via BritBox and I've resorted to my noise cancelling headphones to drown out the same dialogue episode after episode. I'm sure there's a GD bingo card somewhere on t'internet.

e.g. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/FqC53qeu9k7dDz1q7

Edited by spamcan61
added link
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham108 said:

I imagine that Heljan (and all the others) handle each other's locos from time to time.

Know your adversary....

In any event, Hornby Magazine and Hornby are two separate things.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

24 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Miss P,

The British offerings of this type of program have nothing on the jeopardy (just before a commercial break) compared with US DIY/build shows.

If the same level of jeopardy was applied to the model railway program, then the loco before the break would be a 4-6-2 Duchess, and afterwards a Class 08 as the problem was solved.

• Funny 5

On 26/11/2021 at 19:23, Miss Prism said:

You missed 'Simon wanders around Hornby building' 

• Like 2