We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.

Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There has been a trailer (screened several times last week) showing Sam being moved/pulled (I presume) on some sort of trolley attached to a number of locos running on parallel tracks laid on the carpet tiles.  Effectively the hint was that this would be in the next programme, i.e. this evening.

Groan....is that being powered through a possible  Lightning conductor mounted in the roof?

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There has been a trailer (screened several times last week) showing Sam being moved/pulled (I presume) on some sort of trolley attached to a number of locos running on parallel tracks laid on the carpet tiles.  Effectively the hint was that this would be in the next programme, i.e. this evening.

Oh, dearie me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hornby Dublo did this when they introduced one of their three rail diesel models, the Deltic, in 1960. The PR exercise was to demonstrate the power of the new Ringfield motor. Three Deltic locos hauled eight stone Miss Glenna Ferdinand on a "special trolley", which rather puts Sam's efforts (or the pulling power of recent RTR locos) to shame.

Frankly however what Sam's stunt really has to do with model railways I don't know. 

Yes, all been done before.

img1963.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh, dearie me.

Just a genuine question & I may be late to the party, but where does Sam get his finances from?

Owning 400+ locos & a room full of stock can't surely be funded by sponsorship from Hornby & YT income?

The channel often bashes quality, yet he's (potentially) massacring expensive locos to pull himself on a trolley.

Edited by Sussex Yard
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Sussex Yard said:

Just a genuine question & I may be late to the party, but where does Sam get his finances from?

Owning 400+ locos & a room full of stock can't surely be funded by sponsorship from Hornby & YT income?

The channel often bashes quality, yet he's (potentially) massacring expensive locos to pull himself on a trolley.

Perhaps after buying them from Hattons and 'massacaring' them, he sells them to Rails :lol:

Perhaps he is GhostDude

• Funny 7

49 minutes ago, Sussex Yard said:

Large room that most of us could only dream of?

I expect it's Bank of Mum and Dad. But that's his business as long as he's not been doing anything dodgy.

I've probably got a similar amount. But that's from something like 45 years of buying them, most of which were bargains or cheap second hand. Easily done if you don't dispose of your old ones. Must have about fifty old Lima diesels for example.

Jason

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tim V said:

Yes, all been done before.

img1963.jpg

I'd wondered if somebody coming across the past efforts by Hornby Dublo might have been the 'inspiration' for including something along a vaguely similar theme in this series?   Might you I bet they won't mention the fact that HD diid with a lot fewer locos ;)   Anyway it might, or might not, add a bit of rather childish amusement to this evening's edition should it be screened tonight (as the ads have implied).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hornby Dublo did this when they introduced one of their three rail diesel models, the Deltic, in 1960. The PR exercise was to demonstrate the power of the new Ringfield motor. Three Deltic locos hauled eight stone Miss Glenna Ferdinand on a "special trolley", which rather puts Sam's efforts (or the pulling power of recent RTR locos) to shame.

Frankly however what Sam's stunt really has to do with model railways I don't know. 

Nothing at all.

But viewing figures are another matter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

The trailer for episode 7 doesn’t feature Sam - might you be watching the trailer for a previous episode? 

it does feature some nutter attempting to build an upside down layout though. 

Isn't there a European HO or P87 layout where this happens in the fiddle yard (with the trains on some kind of continuous belt)?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

A rival HST???  Who saw that coming??

interesting . Simon Kohlers had a tip off of a rival HST !  I wonder who . Could backfire on him as we might all now hold off to see if it’s who we hope it is . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Legend said:

interesting . Simon Kohlers had a tip off of a rival HST !  I wonder who . Could backfire on him as we might all now hold off to see if it’s who we hope it is . 

Watching this, I'm suspecting BS.  What they're saying doesn't sit with their initial comments about the Blue Pullman HST when they refused to model the third headlight.

• Like 3