Jump to content
We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.

Hornby: A Model World


Phil Parker
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 26/11/2021 at 19:23, Miss Prism said:

The script for next week's show looks to be a winner:

 

- Contrived narrative about opposition products - check
- Kohler spouting inanities about accuracy - check
- Field trip with camera - check
- Tinkering with some CAD - check
- "but there is a problem" - check
- problem is miraculously solved - check
- Uncle Simon declares new product an unqualified success - check
 

 Miss P,

 

should we call you Mystic Meg now?

 

It's getting a bit like Kevin McCLoud's Grand Designs, where things have to go wrong (or be in jeopardy) before everything works out perfectly. The directors presumably think it makes for good TV but it gets rather boring, week after week.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Apologies if I've missed this anywhere, but do Hornby have a tie-up with Heljan? I was most surprised earlier in the series when they did a piece on HLJ which is all Heljan (and sponsored by them) and on last night's episode the Editor of the Hornby magazine was seen being handed a Heljan Class 37.

 

Despite the name , Hornby Magazine is not run by Hornby . It is in fact published by Key Publishing .  While there are close links to Hornby , you quite often see latest pics in there and theres two pages of Hornby news , it is a model railway magazine like any other , Railway Modeller etc . This means you will commonly find Heljan, Bachmann etc etc all well represented .  I think the loco handed was O gauge .

 

Another entertaining show , but very much following the script outlined by Miss Prism . Not exactly groundbreaking 

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

 Miss P,

 

should we call you Mystic Meg now?

 

It's getting a bit like Kevin McCLoud's Grand Designs, where things have to go wrong (or be in jeopardy) before everything works out perfectly. The directors presumably think it makes for good TV but it gets rather boring, week after week.

Absolutely, SWMBO currently spends her evenings watching episodes of Grand Designs back to back via BritBox and I've resorted to my noise cancelling headphones to drown out the same dialogue episode after episode. I'm sure there's a GD bingo card somewhere on t'internet.

 

e.g. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/FqC53qeu9k7dDz1q7

Edited by spamcan61
added link
  • Funny 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Graham108 said:

Apologies if I've missed this anywhere, but do Hornby have a tie-up with Heljan? I was most surprised earlier in the series when they did a piece on HLJ which is all Heljan (and sponsored by them) and on last night's episode the Editor of the Hornby magazine was seen being handed a Heljan Class 37.

I imagine that Heljan (and all the others) handle each other's locos from time to time.

 

Know your adversary....

 

In any event, Hornby Magazine and Hornby are two separate things.

 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

 Miss P,

 

should we call you Mystic Meg now?

 

It's getting a bit like Kevin McCLoud's Grand Designs, where things have to go wrong (or be in jeopardy) before everything works out perfectly. The directors presumably think it makes for good TV but it gets rather boring, week after week.

 

The British offerings of this type of program have nothing on the jeopardy (just before a commercial break) compared with US DIY/build shows.

If the same level of jeopardy was applied to the model railway program, then the loco before the break would be a 4-6-2 Duchess, and afterwards a Class 08 as the problem was solved.

  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 26/11/2021 at 19:23, Miss Prism said:

The script for next week's show looks to be a winner:

 

- Contrived narrative about opposition products - check
- Kohler spouting inanities about accuracy - check
- Field trip with camera - check
- Tinkering with some CAD - check
- "but there is a problem" - check
- problem is miraculously solved - check
- Uncle Simon declares new product an unqualified success - check
 

You missed 'Simon wanders around Hornby building' 

  • Like 2
  • Funny 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Last nights one was ok. Kids will love that Toy Train set with sound, Pretty cool to get if you were a wee person. Bit about the Vampire was good too.

 

They just need to spot the difference between a Lancaster and a Wellington now. 

 

I'm a big fan of Playtrains - it's well thought out as unlike the cheapo junior range, you can buy points to build a proper model railway, not just run things around in a circle. With my little assistants, I've put some time in playing reviewing all the components (not just Flash) here: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/reviews/hornby-playtrains/

 

It's also cheap, and I think a potential investment purchase. Buy everything at RRP and the bill will be about the same as the Dublo Merchant Navy. In five years time, which will be rarer? A mint MN or a mint set of Playtrains....

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Absolutely, SWMBO currently spends her evenings watching episodes of Grand Designs back to back via BritBox and I've resorted to my noise cancelling headphones to drown out the same dialogue episode after episode. I'm sure there's a GD bingo card somewhere on t'internet.

 

I've alway wondered with Grand Designs if the female half of the building partnership becoming pregnant is in the contract part way through the project. And if Kevin M is always the father. Well, he does seem to drop in quite a lot!

  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

 

I've alway wondered with Grand Designs if the female half of the building partnership becoming pregnant is in the contract part way through the project. And if Kevin M is always the father. Well, he does seem to drop in quite a lot!

Is this before or after they fire the architect and decide to project manage the construction work themselves, despite having no experience of doing this? 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

They just need to spot the difference between a Lancaster and a Wellington now. 

 

I think the box illustrator knew, I'd blame the script writer for only knowing a limited number of British WW2 aeroplanes, Spitfire and Lancaster.  I bet if there was a Hurricane it would be blithely labelled "Spitfire" too.

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

 

I'm a big fan of Playtrains - it's well thought out as unlike the cheapo junior range, you can buy points to build a proper model railway, not just run things around in a circle. With my little assistants, I've put some time in playing reviewing all the components (not just Flash) here: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/reviews/Hornby-playtrains/

 

It's also cheap, and I think a potential investment purchase. Buy everything at RRP and the bill will be about the same as the Dublo Merchant Navy. In five years time, which will be rarer? A mint MN or a mint set of Playtrains....

 

I'm liking the look of the Playtrains system.  A lot of the discussion revolved around the need to interest the very young in model railways, in the hope of transfer to "real" model railways as they grow older.

 

In view of that, will the playtrains transfer too?  Looking at the plastic track system, it looks fairly "fine", so will the trains work on set track without bumping on railchairs or jumping over points?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

 Miss P,

 

should we call you Mystic Meg now?

 

It's getting a bit like Kevin McCLoud's Grand Designs, where things have to go wrong (or be in jeopardy) before everything works out perfectly. The directors presumably think it makes for good TV but it gets rather boring, week after week.

The programme clearly runs to a formula but if we keep watching then it is obviously a successful formula and it is a bit of fun where we need to forget counting rivets - even if that subject seems to be regularly mentioned (Vampires and rivet counters - was there a subliminal message there I wonder?).  The format - the non Hornby stuff apart - is one reason why I refer to it as 'The Hornby Show' - it's all good fun and informative in some ways even if it follows a pretty standardised pattern from week-to-week. 

 

The inclusion of the non-Hornby stuff is clearly a carefully conceived editorial decision because 'someone' realised it would help to attract a wider audience, possibly including the likes of some 'committed modellers' who might otherwise lose interest in  'The Hornby Show' or the latest edition of 'Simon Stalks The Archives'.   And that non-Hornby stuff has thus far been consistently interesting, occasionally worrying, and showing us stuff we might not otherwise see - almost a sort of condensed virtual exhibition with a few demos thrown in and something very different such as Jenny's upside-down display.

 

PS When we built our present house I contacted the producers of 'Grand Designs' to offer the projects as 'a possible'.  They did reply - in the negative - nicely pointing out that simply building a house - with all the usual vicissitudes that includes - wasn't what they needed to 'make good television' and they wanted something more quirky and oddball.  So that's their formula made clear.

  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

 

I've alway wondered with Grand Designs if the female half of the building partnership becoming pregnant is in the contract part way through the project. And if Kevin M is always the father. Well, he does seem to drop in quite a lot!

 

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Is this before or after they fire the architect and decide to project manage the construction work themselves, despite having no experience of doing this? 

 

Hang on - you forgot the bit where the couple in their early thirties inexplicably bought the property for £600,000 and yet somehow have a budget of another £500,000 to fund the project...

 

I had to stop watching because I realised I hated them all.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

 

I think the box illustrator knew, I'd blame the script writer for only knowing a limited number of British WW2 aeroplanes, Spitfire and Lancaster.  I bet if there was a Hurricane it would be blithely labelled "Spitfire" too.

 

I'm not too sure.  I visited Hornby earlier this year, and was surprised by the number of howlers in the captions in the various displays. I'm not an expert on aeroplanes, but I do know what a Lancaster looks like, even if the curators didn't!

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

I'm not too sure.  I visited Hornby earlier this year, and was surprised by the number of howlers in the captions in the various displays. I'm not an expert on aeroplanes, but I do know what a Lancaster looks like, even if the curators didn't!

Its oK .They are put there deliberately to annoy you .I would ...

  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

I'm not too sure.  I visited Hornby earlier this year, and was surprised by the number of howlers in the captions in the various displays. I'm not an expert on aeroplanes, but I do know what a Lancaster looks like, even if the curators didn't!

Maybe they got an ex-Luftwaffe pilot to do the captions? After all, they were *always* shot down by Spitfires. and never by a Hurricane or anything else. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I did notice, when the newly smoke fitted Duchess started up and moved off how much wet particulate could be seen all the way along the top of the boiler.  I wonder how much ends up on the layout after a long run...

Edited by johndon
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

 

I think the box illustrator knew, I'd blame the script writer for only knowing a limited number of British WW2 aeroplanes, Spitfire and Lancaster.  I bet if there was a Hurricane it would be blithely labelled "Spitfire" too.

 

 

:offtopic: Back in the days of great big CRT monitors on ones desk most folk in our big open plan office had a "mascot" on top of their monitor.  I had a 1:72 scale Hurricane.  99% of visitors to my workstation who mentioned it referred to it as a Spitfire and were subsequently politely educated.  The 1% who got it right received sincere congratulations on their perspicacity. :D

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

 

:offtopic: Back in the days of great big CRT monitors on ones desk most folk in our big open plan office had a "mascot" on top of their monitor. 

 

I still do ;)

DSC_0349.JPG.8989f6d23f9728e6d02a640875874b53.JPG

 

A mini me with a custom Ulyett Landscapes logo on the back of the hi-vis

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems they need to get SK involved in everything . Couldnt quite work out why  needing an illustration for the Vampire  Simon trundled down to the archive and brought back the illustration of "Dogfight Doubles " Spitfire and Me109 then had a meeting pointing out the illustration is older than the person hes having meeting with . All for effect of course and not at all relevant  !  Strangely little Scalextric in it so far , I know theres an episode coming , but one episode from 10 makes me think Scalextric perhaps is not as important as it used to be .  It seems to be all Airfix and Hornby so far with Corgi making token appearance and even that was aviation related - The Bristol Fighter. 

 

Perhaps Montana had the most telling insights..........

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I want to go into the archive and find the products from when I was a kid as in theory there should be an untouched vintage apt set- the XPT Hornby did based on the Australian HST and the duchess of Sutherland set with 4coaches, signals and a level crossing etc!

Not to mention all the airfix kits and the associated artwork.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

 

I think the box illustrator knew, I'd blame the script writer for only knowing a limited number of British WW2 aeroplanes, Spitfire and Lancaster.  I bet if there was a Hurricane it would be blithely labelled "Spitfire" too.

 

yes I meant to add a smiley face in me post!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

I'm not too sure.  I visited Hornby earlier this year, and was surprised by the number of howlers in the captions in the various displays. I'm not an expert on aeroplanes, but I do know what a Lancaster looks like, even if the curators didn't!

Don't forget the EE Lightning with no tail plane on the box art!!  (thankfully they were inside the box) .Its Corrected I think now even though have not had a pilgrimage to a model shop for some time to check.

 

In all fairness there has been some great box art work both Cross and the the new era.

 

 

a05042.jpg

 

The Matchbox one though!! Love a full print of this for the wall!

 

image.png.f7dcecfb7e663f87df9791959d7c114d.png

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...