Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

The Rhondda Show was an enjoyable mixed modelling event with everything from layouts to radio control boats. Unfortunately it stopped around 10 years ago. I think there was damage to the sports center after one of those winter snowstorms and it never returned.

I've become much more of an all-round modeller in recent years. It started with dabbling back into plastic kits with a 1/24th Hurricane, then branched out to r/c flying and a 1/16th Russian army tank. I keep coming back to trains as the core interest but the other excursions have been pretty good for developing new skills which feed back into railway modelling.

One of the best and biggest general shows I went to was Intermodellbau in Dortmund.

Dortmund is highly recommend, have been several times. Each discipline is divided across different halls which I feel is a must, as for those only interested in a specific discipline can concentrate on. And you can have a look at those other aspects of modelling if time permits. Unfortunately the venues that could accommodate this type of event would cost a fortune to attend if the cost of warley at the NEC is to go by. And last time I went to Dortmund in 2019, the cost of entry was about 20 euros for 7 halls of modelling. Unfortunately our European friends do put us brits to shame on events like Dortmund.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Dortmund is highly recommend, have been several times. Each discipline is divided across different halls which I feel is a must, as for those only interested in a specific discipline can concentrate on. And you can have a look at those other aspects of modelling if time permits. Unfortunately the venues that could accommodate this type of event would cost a fortune to attend if the cost of warley at the NEC is to go by. And last time I went to Dortmund in 2019, the cost of entry was about 20 euros for 7 halls of modelling. Unfortunately our European friends do put us brits to shame on events like Dortmund.

I was exhibiting in Bremen back in 2000 at the 'Stadthalle' with was an enormous place with five (?) halls, with railways, boats and operating submarines, helicopter flying and much more including R/C model JCBs playing around with a large heap of sand.  Only in Germany! 

It was a great show with the organizer at the end furiously riding around on his bicycle with wads of dosh to pay expenses, asking "are you sure that that's enough?". Never heard that before or ever again! Great memories!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

A few years ago, I went to a mixed show at Poynton Leisure Centre.

I've had that in mind Tony whilst thinking that most of the multi-discipline UK shows appear to be in the bottom-right hand corner of Britain. There was also a short-lived (2 years?) event at the NEC about 15 years ago.

I remember years ago at Derby (Assembly Rooms?) exhibition they had a room displaying model boats. Also as well as all the British themed layouts every year they had a room that alternated between Continental or American themed layouts.

Edited by Nick G
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've had that in mind Tony whilst thinking that most of the multi-discipline UK shows appear to be in the bottom-right hand corner of Britain. There was also a short-lived (2 years?) event at the NEC about 15 years ago.

Stirring up memories now but I also recall a show, possibly a one off, at Doncaster Racecourse, probably the same year (or thereabouts) that BRM/Warners moved the Model railway show there. I remember exhibiting a layout there and going outside to watch a test firing of the engines on a large flying Vulcan model which was under construction.

I can't remember who organised it but it was a cracking good show and very well attended.

In post Covid times (if we ever are post Covid, which seems less likely as time passes) I wonder if such a show might be possible again and who would set it all up. 

• Informative/Useful 1

The Model Engineer shows have already been mentioned, held at Wembley Arena (C1980), later Ally Pally then at Earls Court. Certainly multi disciplinary. I remember Studiolith was there (for non P4 modellers, that was a supplier) among the model suppliers, plus a number of model layouts. As the years went on, the small scale model railway layouts and traders became less and less. But the show was still good for tools/airbrushing equipment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The more recently tooled Airfix kits are of great quality, if anyone fancies trying one. I built this 1/48th Hawker Hunter over the summer, and it was a delight. It's got full internal ducting of the air intakes, too, so quite "educational" even though you won't see much once it's built. And yes, there's a lot of ballast up front.

hawker4.jpg

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nick G said:

I remember years ago at Derby (Assembly Rooms?) exhibition they had a room displaying model boats. Also as well as all the British themed layouts every year they had a room that alternated between Continental or American themed layouts.

On 05/12/2021 at 16:51, Mike Bellamy said:

For many years the Derby Show had a model boat display - this first started at the Mickleover village hall shows, as the father of a club member was a boat modeller. In particular he built some very good lifeboat models which he displayed with a collecting box for the RNLI and when we started the Assembly Rooms exhibition, the display was enhanced to include other members from the Derby and Burton Model Boat Clubs. This continued for a number of years.

The alternate shows within a show were organised on our behalf by the NMRA and the SNCF Society. It was noticeable that the overall show attendance went up and down depending whether it was an American year or a Continental year - I can't be sure but I think the USA was ahead of the EU for a few years and then it went the other way - or was it EU then USA - it was a long time ago now. Of course since then we have been at Moorways Sports Centre and then The Derby Roundhouse and had continued to invite American and Continental layouts until they cancelled all of our future bookings - so for now at least no more Derby shows.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Did anyone else spot (although you probably couldn’t miss it) the large Bachmann box on the table in the bit with the designer of the P2. Tried to pause and see what it was but couldn’t make it out but it was a 4 car box such as the CEP, or class 350 desiro sized box.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having just seen this weeks episode I have a new production suggestion for Hornby.  Can we please have Simon's "blooper reel" on a DVD or download?  Those outakes from the video were hillarious! :lol:

Edited by Phatbob
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Just wish the narrator would stop calling a locomotive a train 

That pony has galloped away, I fear.

The next one to creep in, I've noticed, is a tendency for the plural of "aircraft" to become "aircrafts".

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Andymsa said:

20 and a 14KM walk when I was there...wrecked after it plus a trip back then to Hamburg

This look a wee bit more manageable one in Friedrichshafen plus the Dornier museum on site!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_osZLLmZY

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

And the new locomotive was a "P two thousand and seven".

albeit a well known movie franchise are quite hot on stepping in to stop other companies using the double 0 7 nomenclature in any context on products they sell, so that might have been intentional.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, stonojnr said:

albeit a well known movie franchise are quite hot on stepping in to stop other companies using the double 0 7 nomenclature in any context on products they sell, so that might have been intentional.

Though I think Hornby/Scalextric/Corgi have the rights to make models related to that franchise anyway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, stonojnr said:

You didn't spot the error then?:(

Shouldn't it be "P2 two thousand and seven". It's not a P class number 2007

Nobody's going to call it 2 OO7:D (well some might........)

• Agree 3

Last night's episode (6th Dec  no 7) totally confused me!

Apart from the P2007 (not P2 2007) that others have mentioned, what is Hornby producing? I must admit I have no interest in the P2 and have not read this thread

so apologies if the answers to my points are in there.

Fact: Hornby already have a Railroad P2, so I can understand that this will be a new tooling. 

But are Hornby making one new chassis for all three models,  as the program seemed to imply there are differences between 2007 and the originals. Again there are body modifications.

This page, from the P2 Steam Company,  makes the issues clear

https://www.p2steam.com/2021/06/02/hornbys-new-p2-models/

but does not answer the question how much will 2007 and 2002 “Earl Marischal” be different?

The answers are probably somewhere on the internet  but my question are asked from the information in the programme.

The other highlight was Simon K's statement about not be comfortable being filmed - I presume he was party the the agreement for the series and that much of the screen time would be films of him either in meetings or talking direct to camera.