Hornby: A Model World

Phil Parker

5 minutes ago, GWR8700 said:

If you want someone to work 45 hours per week, stick it in the contract and pay them accordingly.

We should really be moving towards a 32 hour working week. 

You've never worked in the road haulage industry, have you? 32 hours is only about 3 shifts - in fact it's just over two if a couple of 'maximum hours' 15-hour shifts are worked. Even 45 hours is part time for truck drivers. All paid at one flat hourly rate. And people wonder why no one wants the job and shelves in shops are empty.?

Sorry for the Off Topic, but working hours was being talked about.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

You've never worked in the road haulage industry, have you? 32 hours is only about 3 shifts - in fact it's just over two if a couple of 'maximum hours' 15-hour shifts are worked. Even 45 hours is part time for truck drivers. All paid at one flat hourly rate. And people wonder why no one wants the job and shelves in shops are empty.?

Sorry for the Off Topic, but working hours was being talked about.

15 hour shifts sound very unsafe for driving on the road.

"Even 45 hours is part time for truck drivers. All paid at one flat hourly rate. And people wonder why no one wants the job."

Those two things are related aren't they?  If lorry drivers were to reduce the amount of hours they worked then their labour would become more valuable wouldn't it and subsequently they could demand pay increases.

Limiting the supply of labour can lead to an increase in wages, especially if productivity increases (studies have shown a 32 hour work week would see productivity rise).

Sorry to go off topic, but I hope Hornby will not continue with such work practices in future.

Edited by GWR8700
  • Agree 1

15 hours is the maximum shift time, allowed twice a week by reducing daily rest. Actual driving time is restricted to 9 hours a day.

No, it's not particularly safe, but it's what the law allows.

I hear that wages are going up due to the driver shortage, but how long that will be sustainable for remains to be seen, since the cost will be passed on to the end consumer.

As for ...

47 minutes ago, GWR8700 said:

If lorry drivers were to reduce the amount of hours they worked then their labour would become more valuable wouldn't it and subsequently they could demand pay increases.

The only thing drivers refusing to work (which in essence is the reality you descibe) would get is a P45.

Edit - which brings us back round to Montana at Hornby. Is she doing excessive hours just from love of the job? Or the pressure from higher up, which would mean she could lose her position as Head of Whatever it was, if she fails to meet deadlines & targets.?

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

As for ...

The only thing drivers refusing to work (which in essence is the reality you descibe) would get is a P45. :rolleyes:

This depends upon whether workers compete or cooperate with each other. An effective union could restrict working hours (and hence force a wage increase) because it would be impossible to replace people issued with a P45. We don't have those in most UK labour markets though.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

I agree with all some of what has been said, what is to stop this young woman from pressing the off button on her computer

Nothing. She is committed, enthusiastic and driven. 

I think the comments assessing the work/life balance of someone you don't know is inappropriate for the public domain.

No more of it please.

• Like 10
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I think the comments assessing the work/life balance of someone you don't know is inappropriate for the public domain.

No more of it please.

You're quite right of course Andy. Apologies if my comment was taken as such.

Edited by Geep7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Nothing. She is committed, enthusiastic and driven. 

I'll agree with Andy here - Montana is all of those things. Like most of us, she puts more into her job than the minimum needed to get by, but that's what companies need for this sort of role. There's also an element of "Made for TV" here. As I've said before, do not take everything you see or hear on screen as gospel. It's edited and you lose a lot of context.

Having said that, if you are all happy that everyone works office hours, presumably we can turn RMweb off before 9am and after 5?

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

There's also an element of "Made for TV" here. As I've said before, do not take everything you see or hear on screen as gospel. It's edited and you lose a lot of context.

Was just about to say as much. I took it all with a pinch of salt when I watched it last night

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Having said that, if you are all happy that everyone works office hours, presumably we can turn RMweb off before 9am and after 5?

If we all are to WORK office hours maybe RMweb should be OFF 9 'tll 5 ;)

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
Just now, RedgateModels said:

If we all are to WORK office hours maybe RMweb should be OFF 9 'tll 5 ;)

It would help me get on with all the other work!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I must say I was very impressed with Montana from both the Hornby videos and the documentary; her commitment and enthusiasm for the hobby and drive for the company, and ability to reach a younger age group (and not all middle age/older men). I do wonder if there is an idea that she will replace SK when he (eventually a long long time from now) retires, certainly on the brand management side of things, if not on Simon's more technical input.

I am (annoyingly to my family) all to familiar with working long into the evening/night (albeit starting mornings at coffee time often), sometimes out of enthusiasm/excitement for what I'm doing, sometimes out of sheer necessity and deadlines.... and sometimes because my brain just starts to get more productive in late afternoon and then powers on!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

On 07/12/2021 at 13:18, F-UnitMad said:

Put-down of the year decade was slipped in very nicely when the commentator talked about Sam...

"with maybe too much time on his hands..."

Brilliant!! :sarcastic:

I must make sure I carry on never watching his videos. :no:  :blum:

I must say I was not  at all impressed impressed.

The guy is super critical of models, especially prices (mainly unjustifiably, such is the cost of the hobby if you want high level of detail in your models), and on models being 'cheap plastic' (while its not perfect, but the Kernow BWT was ground braking and is a characterful little piece of kit, but Sam slates it completely). That he runs on carpet despite all manufacturers warning against this is well known, and kind of undermines his attempt to be an expert... but the documentary appearance too the biscuit:  he goes and whacks 30 VOLTS through a model loco designed for 15V safe max.

I actually think Hornby and/or the producers should not have included him/this 'stunt'. As well as misusing the product that the program is showcasing, there is also an issue of promoting dangerous behaviour (how long until someone goes and connects their track to the mains...!), and potential for things to go bang, melt, and maybe injure someone.

Yes OK Top Gear does something similar in terms of pushing limits, but those stunts are safely managed (cars with roll cages) and generally harder to repeat by the public (very few people have their own 747 to blow over their Ford Mondeo or 2CV!!!)

This is in complete contrast to what JKirk did, which, while an abuse to models (poor thing butchered and upside down), is perfectly safe and also something rather artistic.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 7

28 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

Not if the loco falls of and whacks you on the head!

This is true. Although it is relatively light weight (a little pug with some magnets) and will only hit you if your are bending over the lower track... in which case the acceleration will be limited. But yes technically you have a point.

If it was a Dapol 68 or Hornby 60* I would be more worried....

* are these the two heaviest OO locos at the moment pre A/S Deltic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

(how long until someone goes and connects their track to the mains...!), and potential for things to go bang, melt, and maybe injure someone.

That could be the person who put a 13 Amp plug on the 16 V AC input wires of a ECM Controller at my last model railway club.

Fortunately I was only involved at the "can you fix this" phase, and putting into the WEEE bin.

4 minutes ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

That could be the person who put a 13 Amp plug on the 16 V AC input wires of a ECM Controller at my last model railway club.

Fortunately I was only involved at the "can you fix this" phase, and putting into the WEEE bin.

They what??? (this is now getting o/t, sorry)

Presumably those wires were originally attached to a transformer. What motivated them to take it out and wire on a plug?

As well as trashing a controller, presumably there is a chance that some of the exposed metal on the 16v input plug could have been live at 240v???

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

There's also an element of "Made for TV" here. As I've said before, do not take everything you see or hear on screen as gospel. It's edited and you lose a lot of context.

:offtopic:

Agreed. A local example of that was Guy Martin on Monday building a lightweight racing Landrover - it was built by a friend of my son a couple of miles from here so we knew about it months ago and there were several parts of the film that were specially filmed for the TV - and you got the impression that Guy (or Channel 4) was paying for most of it - wrong - the ownership of the Landrover remained with Dave Billings who built it. Now the film has been shown he has brought the car out of hiding and can be seen driving around in it. A great advert for his business Tornado Motorsport.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

22 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

This is in complete contrast to what JKirk did, which, while an abuse to models (poor thing butchered and upside down), is perfectly safe and also something rather artistic.

Those concerned for the wellbeing of the pug may be soothed by the knowledge that it was converted back to its standard configuration after filming. It was then used in a Humbrol weathering powder review video, before being given away as the prize in a competition I ran on my Monday Club.  (Edited to add: Picture below of said loco when being offered as the competition prize)

96C1B037-C4F9-4B39-9138-5D7E7CF4C2C9.jpeg.97ae3feaf76d4a9d9239cdfcabc3158b.jpeg

Edited by Jenny Emily
  • Like 14

On 10/12/2021 at 17:09, col.stephens said:

That's good to know.  I was on the verge of reporting you to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Pugs!

Terry

You need to have a word with these....spacer.png

spacer.png

Sorry can't find credit.

It's a Pug being taken up a mountain in North Wales to work at a quarry in Penmaenmawr.

Jason

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3