Bachmann Gauge 1 Class 08 Shunter Accuracy?

steveNCB7754

Hi All,

So, I've done a quick search of RMWeb and cannot find a dedicated Gauge 1 forum, or any info on this item, but I've just seen in a Kernow Model's emailing, that Bachmann are producing a Gauge 1 'Thomas The Tank Engine & Friends' version of the BR Class 08 shunter (due November 2021).  Not strictly of any particular interest to me, but at 'only' £195 each, I wondered if anybody knows how 'to scale' this product is going to be (for instance, is it a new tooling, or based on a previous 'toy' scale item)?

TIA

Steve N

• Administrators

It's part of their Thomas range, so a simplified moulding. I'd not expected it to have any scale credentials.

Bachmann.jpg

The moulding will be new, not based on anything else, and if the mechanism is as good as the rest of the range, quite impressive. I know the Sterling Single has been converted to a more scale model in the past, so I'm sure people will fiddle with this one and remove the face.

7 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's part of their Thomas range, so a simplified moulding. I'd not expected it to have any scale credentials.

The moulding will be new, not based on anything else, and if the mechanism is as good as the rest of the range, quite impressive. I know the Sterling Single has been converted to a more scale model in the past, so I'm sure people will fiddle with this one and remove the face.

Hi, thanks Phil,

Your last point, was along the lines of my thinking.  My early career was in engineering, where I worked at a company which was part of the PD (Powell Duffryn) group.  They used to operate 08's at the Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen Disposal Point near Ammanford (Swansea) and I quite fancy the notion of one (even just as a static model) in their 'Powell Duffryn Coal Preparation' scheme of white and blue, with 'wasp stripes' on the buffer beam.  Yet another potential distraction, from what I should be concentrating on (LOL).

Steve