Diesel litres

11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

A litre is 1000 ccs.

So the volume of a cylindrical tank in litres is  1000 π r ²  h  where h is the height and r the radius of your tank in cms.

I think that should be 

Volume of tank = π r ²  h cm³ or (π d ²  h)/4 cm³ where d is diameter.  So the capacity in litres is the volume divided by 1,000 to get litres.

Looking at The Tank Shop website came up with this specification, actually for a liquid fertiliser storage tank, which might clarify matters:

Specifications:

• Capacity: 10000 Litre (2200 gallons) 
  • Height: 2500mm
  • Diameter: 2400mm

Remember to if you need to scale meassurements to scale the length measurements, not the overall volume. For example, if I wanted to know the real life volume of a 00 scale model tank which is 10cm long with a diameter of 2cm (hence a radius of 1cm), my volume would be:

(1*76)²π*(10*76) = 13790000cc = 13,790l (rounded to 4 s.f.)

If you do this incorrectly, you will most likely end up with something like:

1²π*10*76 = 2388cc = 2.388l

A 2.4l bottle obviously wouldn't be 10cm*2cm*2cm in 00 scale! The calculation will still only provide you with a rough estimate (it doesn't take into account the curved ends of some tanks or the thickness of the walls, for example) but it should be more than sufficient for modelling purposes.

12 minutes ago, doilum said:

A cubic metre =1000 litres. Which, if it is water, weighs a metric tonne.

A pedant would point out that a cubic metre of fresh water weighs a metric tonne - a cubic metre of salt water weighs more...

...fortunately I'm not a pedant... :D

• Funny 8

3 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

I think that should be 

Volume of tank = π r ²  h cm³ or (π d ²  h)/4 cm³ where d is diameter.  So the capacity in litres is the volume divided by 1,000 to get litres.

Looking at The Tank Shop website came up with this specification, actually for a liquid fertiliser storage tank, which might clarify matters:

Specifications:

• Capacity: 10000 Litre (2200 gallons) 
  • Height: 2500mm
  • Diameter: 2400mm

Sorry - quite right - I was half asleep when I posted that !

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hello everyone 

i am am not talking about CCS Because I am talking about litres or gallons inside fuel storage tank

single storage tank of diesel litres or gallons by how many ?

twin storage tank of diesel litres or gallons by how many ?

i don’t understand what CCS but I know litres or gallons 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, class37418stag said:

i don’t understand what CCS but I know litres or gallons 

CCS  should be just cc (cubic centimetres)

Think of a car, a 1000cc engine = 1 litre. (equivalent to a 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cube)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

If these are models that you own, the simplest thing is just to measure the diameter and the length/height and, if you don't want to do the calculation yourself, just post the measurements on here and someone will work it out for you.

However, we can probably make educated guesses. The tanks in the second picture appear to have 20-rung ladders. A rung is a foot (more or less), which means a height of 20 feet or 6 metres. The diameter of each tank appears to be about two-thirds the height, giving a radius of 2 metres. Plugging these numbers into πr²h (the volume of a cylinder) gives a volume of 75 cubic metres. This is 75,000 litres or 16,500 gallons per tank. (A cubic metre is 1000 litres, and to get to gallons, divide by 4.55)

The first picture is harder to judge. Again, using the rungs of the ladder as a scale, the diameter appears to be a little less than 10 feet. Perhaps we can call it 3 metres, making the radius 1.5 metres. The length appears to be a little over twice the diameter, so about 7 metres. Again, plugging these numbers into πr²h (where this time h is the length), gives a volume of about 50,000 litres or 11,000 gallons.

If you want this in tons (or tonnes - the difference is small), then multiply the volume in cubic metres (or thousands of litres) by 0.85, so the top tank holds about 42 tons and each of the bottom tanks holds about 63 tons.

All of these numbers are very approximate.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Knightwing do a plastic kit for a horizontal tank, and give the dimensions as 39mm diameter and up to 145mm in length. Ignoring the thickness of the plate, that gives a full size of 2.9 metres diameter and 11 metres long.  Plugging those figures into the formula gives a capacity of around 76 m³, or 76,000 litres, similar to the figures that @Jeremy C estimated.

image.png.eb3fc32c02646c53c1b6248f3517f4f4.png

33 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

Thirsty beggars, aren't they! I have a 2,500 litre heating oil tank in my garden - to imagine a loco carrying around 3 of those filled is astounding.

According to The Class 37 Locomotive Group website (https://c37lg.co.uk/37data.aspx) the capacity of the fuel tank was 1690 gallons, but this was increased by 800 gallons following removal of the steam heat equipment, so that's about 11,330 litres nowadays.  That is indeed a lot of fuel.

42 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

Thirsty beggars, aren't they! I have a 2,500 litre heating oil tank in my garden - to imagine a loco carrying around 3 of those filled is astounding.

Amateurs - I filled my present transport up a couple of weeks ago - 325,000 litres of diesel...

:sungum:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, MarkC said:

Amateurs - I filled my present transport up a couple of weeks ago - 325,000 litres of diesel...

:sungum:

It depends what you drive.  A container ship carries a couple of million gallons.

Of course it doesn't dock at Heston Services to refuel.  That really would get them all writing to their MP about shortages.  In the good old days when you got treble green stamps with your fuel those master mariners probably got enough stamps to buy a small yacht!

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, Dungrange said:

According to The Class 37 Locomotive Group website (https://c37lg.co.uk/37data.aspx) the capacity of the fuel tank was 1690 gallons, but this was increased by 800 gallons following removal of the steam heat equipment, so that's about 11,330 litres nowadays.  That is indeed a lot of fuel.

Loco capacity on paper is sometimes very different in practice, a peak by the book takes about 850 gallons but I’ve filled one and the pump stopped at 1050 gallons