2mm Scale Association Expo 2010

-missy-

Hello :)

Just in case anyone doesnt know comming soon is the 50th Anniversary of the 2mm Scale Association and to celebrate they are holding what is probably the largest 2mm scale show in Oxford this year with over 25 2mm SA layouts on display. Details below taken from the http://www.2mm.org.uk/events.html. The event is open to everyone...

The Association will be 50 years old in 2010. In celebration we are staging a major two day exhibition to celebrate 50 years of finescale modelling with over 25 layouts on display. It will be held in Oxford on the weekend of 3rd and 4th July 2010 at Ewert House, Ewert Place, Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 7DD (MAP, Link to Google Street View, showing entrance to Ewert Place with big lorry emerging. Suggest panning around "Street View" to see the shops and other buildings opposite as reference points)

Public opening 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday, admission is £5.

Invited Layouts attending.

Golden Jubilee Layout Challenge.

The Golden Jubilee Layout Challenge (GJLC) is a competition to build a modest sized layout to 2mm standards in time for Expo 2010. More than sixteen people have indicated that their layouts will appear at Expo 2010, where the best entry will be decided. Three of these layouts will also appear at the Warley show in November. The list of layouts will extend as more entries confirm attendance:

• Line No4 - Guilford Colliery, Nick Bastable
  • Camard Newtown, Brian Denton
  • Gomersall Town, Steve Dunkeyson
  • Framsden, David Eveleigh
  • Rena 1900, Knut Kittelsen
  • Hall Quay, Alan Lawrence
  • Fresherwater, Ian Morgan
  • Marks Quay, Peter Whitehead
  • Brafferton, Tony Simms
  • Annedale Town, Brian Hume
  • Aidensfield, David Short
  • Stockport and Tiviot Dale, John Whitehead
  • Chellow, Tony Wilson
  • Morganfield Illinois, Mark Fielder
  • Twpnant, Paul Jones
  • Percy Nook, Chris Shaw
  • Grosvenor Terrace, Keith Gloster
  • Avonwick, Kristian Buxton Dean

Traders at Expo.

Trade confirmed as attending Expo 2010 include

Demonstrations and Seminars.

MERG will be showing various aspects of electronics and automation of model railways, including their new CBUS based DCC system.

DEMU will be present, providing information and support to modellers of the diesel and electric eras.

A number of 2mm demonstrations will be present around the exhibition area, details will be added nearer the date.

There will be seminar/tutorial sessions in a side-room on "Building Track with EasiTrack components" and "Digital Command Control (DCC)". Advanced booking forms are in the April 2mm Magazine sent to all members. Alternatively, if there are any spare seats you can sign up on the day.

Getting to the Venue.

View Routes to Ewert House Oxford in a larger map By Car - Parking in central Oxford is limited and expensive. We strongly recommend use of the Park and Ride system (Link to Park and Ride). On Saturday, use "Water Eaton" and get off at the Summertown shops. On Saturday or Sunday, use "Pear Tree" and get off at South Parade, walk through to Banbury Road and Ewert House. Map showing Park and Ride Routes to Ewert House

By Bus - Ewert House is in Summertown, on the Banbury Road. It is served by the Oxford Bus Company "City 2" and Stagecoach 7A/7B routes from the centre of Oxford. Look for buses going to "Kidlington via Banbury Road".

Get off the bus at the first stop in Summertown near Costa Coffee, cross the road and the entrance to Ewert House is the road between Marks & Spencer and Starbucks. Map showing Bus Routes to Ewert House

By Train - There is a 10 to 15 minute walk from the railway station to the main bus stops.

Leave the railway station complex via the main entrance walk towards the main access road and then turn left and walk past the front of the Said Business School, carry on up Hythe Bridge street. After you cross the canal the road will bear around to the left, cross the road and across the pedestrian access and walk up George street. When you get to the junction with the Cornmarket Street, Broad Street and Magdelen Street turn left. (Debenhams is on this corner). This is a 10 - 15 minute walk and will bring you to a number of bus stops, catch either the Oxford Bus Company No2 or the Stagecoach 7A/7B buses which are going to Kidlington via Banbury Rd. Then follow "By Bus" above. Map showing Station and Bus stops to reach Ewert House Oxford

Now even if I wasnt a 2mm modeller I would be seriously tempted by all that! but as I am going anyway with Highclere (as you propably already know) come and say hello.

Missy :)

• RMweb Gold

Flight booked - Check...Hotel booked - Check...Credit Cards - Check...looking forward to it and finally meeting with people - well done for posting this Missy :D

I'm planning to come along - I really can't think of anything more inspiring than seeing this wonderful collection of layouts.

For me 2mm is the ultimate: The amount of scratch building and resourcefulness required must be way beyond that required in most other scales - and of course, the results are exquisite and represent a manifest labour of love.

I'm really looking forward to it :)

Mark

Yep, I'll be popping along. And, as I understand it, helping man the DEMU stand. As an N Gauge modeller no doubt I'll be getting depressed about all the wonderful fine modelling on display that I'm not capable of. Oh well, at least it'll be inspirational and I'm looking forward to it.

G.

• RMweb Gold

that I'm not capable of

Err....I beg to differ Grahame

Now that you have made that 2FS diorama, perhaps you can be persuaded to depart the EXPO with a set of 'drop in diesel wheels' for London Bridge ;)

Pete

Err....I beg to differ Grahame

Now that you have made that 2FS diorama, perhaps you can be persuaded to depart the EXPO with a set of 'drop in diesel wheels' for London Bridge ;)

Hmm, no real need to - modern N gauge diesels run okay on Easitrac 9.42 gauge track and as you can hardly see the wheels on small scale diesels it's not worth the effort and cost of upgrading all my stock (which then won't run on SLD). Yet. ;)

Besides I'm not fully convinced of the point of fitting 1:152 wheels to a 1:148 scale model. But 1:152 track (with modern N gauge flange-ways) makes sense as it's closer to 1:148 than the 1:160 Peco track. One step at a time; EasiTrak and N gauge stock first. B)

G.

• RMweb Gold

One step at a time; EasiTrak and N gauge stock first.

Agreed - that is certainly my approach. My own modelling standards are not capable of scratch building loccomotives and chassis's so the conversion of N stock to run on 2FS track is a good way of breaking ones self in - I now have some 2FS wagon kits which I will tackle after the Expo and who knows, maybe this might progress me to the rather fine 08 kit :O

The 08 kit one one of my 'goals' as well - but as you say - take it in stages - im also trying the 'Easitrak' on its own first . I was given a sample of the 2mm society mag when I joined - which contained part of the excellent blog on building the 08 kit. Theres lots of support there.

tfn

jon

Agreed - that is certainly my approach. My own modelling standards are not capable of scratch building loccomotives and chassis's

Yep, it certainly seems sensible and is an obvious and straightforward approach for D&E enthusiasts especially when there's so many wonderful and increasingly fine RTR 1:148 N gauge diesel and electrics being produced. It's probably a bit different for steamy fans where the wheels are more obvious and there's a greater advantage and benefit in using 2mm wheels and consequently building 1:152 chassis' and bodies.

I'm looking forward to the show; a chance to see the best in small scale modelling. And hopefully pick up a few tips.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Jon - I have the other parts of the 08 build blog if you are going to the Expo ;)

I must admit, I always wanted to have a crack at building my own track and am pleased at having done it, however for plain track, the EASITRAC makes it so much quicker and the detail is superb.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed - that is certainly my approach. My own modelling standards are not capable of scratch building loccomotives and chassis's so the conversion of N stock to run on 2FS track is a good way of breaking ones self in - I now have some 2FS wagon kits which I will tackle after the Expo and who knows, maybe this might progress me to the rather fine 08 kit :O

You really must have a crack at the wagon kits ASAP. They are lovely to build (at least the ones I've done so far, well except the macaw c, now that was a bit of a pain with all the rather small bits!) I know that it will go together and you'll enjoy the result.

p.s. to bring it back onto the expo part of things, I'll be there with Avonwick, trying to run some sort of service, so come and say hello.

ONE WEEK TO GO! I hope everyone is buzy beavering away on thier layouts ready for the show? I certainly am, this is the first ever official showing of HIGHCLERE and I am filled with nervous excitement.

EDIT: Who from RMWeb is going?

I'll be there both days - I've volunteered for stewarding duties.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all these new layouts (and some old favourites). Like Brian, I hope it cools down a bit before then!

Andy

I could do without it being this hot next week, with or without elephants!

Expo-meister Mike tells me the venue has air conditioning. It shouldn't be crazily hot in there.

There are a handful of seats still left for the seminar talks (one on Easitrac, one on DCC, repeated each day), sign up for a seat on the day at the 2mm information stand.

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

I certainly hope it's cooler. I know the Rock Island was notorious for bad track but it was a bit of a worrying find to go into the shed on Sunday evening to find some prototypically wiggly rail where it really shouldn't be. It's now fixed and since Sunday it's not recurred.

Fingers crossed

Mark.

• RMweb Premium

Glad you enjoyed it Tim. We'll be back tomorrow for more. Saw lots of people today, I think I spent as much time talking as operating (still saved extra derailments due to my poor track layingblink.gif)

Yes I'll second that man's opinion - I thoroughly enjoyed the day, chatting to folk and of course, picking up a few things I need..

Great to see Highclere and Witney Euston at long last - and that wonderful 0-4-4T on Jerry Clifford's layout.

The standard overall was excellent from what I saw, and plenty of ideas there to keep me thinking.

The Easitrac seminar was also really useful, speaking as someone who didn't manage to get to either the workshops, but who has already had a go at a turnout.

Thans also to Noel for providing the new turnout jig!

Cheers

Chris

Im just getting ready for today at the Expo. Yesterday was great fun and it was fantastic to meet so many people and chat. I actually spent so much time talking to people that I didnt really manage to operate the layout that much. Not a bad thing at all as the layout wasnt running at all well, its amazing how an exhibition shows up all the little faults. I think I have learnt a valuble lesson there!

Anyway if anyone is undecided on going today then please do as I have never seen so many 2mm FS layouts in one place. The standard of modelling is amazing.

Archived