7MM GWR Goods Shed & Station?

Madreddog

OK, tried [insert name of very annoying search engine here] and had no luck finding either of the items in the title. Anyone know of a supplier(s) of such things preferably resin or plastic kit. Scratchbuilding is out because my efforts look like those of a deranged five year old child!

The thing about traditional laser cut kits such as referred to above is that they are pricey.  Lcut are a fraction of the price.

I actually built the timbertracks Tetbury station (not available now I suspect) in 4mm.  I recall that I replaced the main walls with plastic because the brick detail was missing from the corners.  The station still resides on the club layout after quite a lot of years.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Madreddog said:

Hmmm. I think I'll pass on lasercut if I'm going to have to replace most of it to get a model that looks passable. 

You dont have to rework the good ones although, perhaps ironically given they were recommended, Lcut are in need of the most work - which is probably why they are so much cheaper.

My Lcut builds haven't required the replacement of "most parts".  I added parts (gutters and downspouts) and modified some of them to suit my standards (which are not particularly high).

I would recommend you get a small kit and see how you like it.

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/09/2021 at 09:34, Madreddog said:

Hmmm. I think I'll pass on lasercut if I'm going to have to replace most of it to get a model that looks passable. Other than Skytrex is there anyone else out there doing resin building kits?

I don`t think you should pass on laser cut at all....in my opinion if you require realism and the minimum of improvement work they are DECADES ahead of resin kits all of which need a lot of work to bring up to finescale standards ( if that is the standard you seek)

The problems with resin buildings is down to the quality of casting.

You may find the poor draughsman ship on this Invertrain kit acceptable.... I dont ...the kit is nearly £100 and the stonework looks like toffee brittle.

DSC04516.JPG.16b49af656bd1035bcde5ccca5d6c69b.JPG

It took a lot of work to improve things..............

DSC04520.JPG.4fc1ff70be37232ab85ddc14d392cb62.JPG

And even more work to make a more decent canopy..... and roof tiles.

DSC04590.JPG.751e53ec2d91a811bedb52e78528984b.JPG

The more recent Timbercraft products  are the most expensive and the best of their range ( the early ones are slightly cheaper but the brickwork corners are poor) so I sold my kits on before starting any of them.

Intentio kits are slightly less expensive but are the most progressive in detail and assembly and with care will make the most realistic buildings ( but as yet they have not produced a small to medium sized Goods shed.  But you pays yer monies !!!

But the finished product is the best in my opinion.

DSC05192.JPG.c207ce7bd289f286db955144e524c51b.JPG

DSC05199.JPG.6d88b8e83d72f9c8c28059075bc67461.JPG

Railmodel ( ex Lasercraftdevon kits ) were I think the first in O Gauge and in my mind are a modestly priced alternative to the above, and are my next go to choice.

There kits make great models for the price and are not flimsy single thickness walled buildings of the basement price ranges.

DSC02923.JPG.14337a2dfb0e8c6c5e16df9460524656.JPG

DSC05493.JPG.680b0bcc086b53453e8fbe37727d4499.JPG

It`s the corners of the brickwork that dictates quality of the kit for me....... you have to do a bit of modelling with Railmodel kits to get them to look better...but I still like their kits.

DSC04528.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, ROSSPOP said:

I don`t think you should pass on laser cut at all....in my opinion if you require realism and the minimum of improvement work they are DECADES ahead of resin kits all of which need a lot of work to bring up to finescale standards

Really useful summary!

Back in my 4mm days I did Chalford station using embossed bricks over the old Prototype kit, so I baulk slightly at the cost of laser kits, but having seen various examples at exhibitions, a lot of them are very convincing.

That said there are some I've seen that are proportionally nothing like what they purport to represent, so worth seeing the finished product if possible and judging for yourself.

1 hour ago, ROSSPOP said:

I don`t think you should pass on laser cut at all....in my opinion if you require realism and the minimum of improvement work they are DECADES ahead of resin kits all of which need a lot of work to bring up to finescale standards ( if that is the standard you seek)

The problems with resin buildings is down to the quality of casting.

You may find the poor draughsman ship on this Invertrain kit acceptable.... I dont ...the kit is nearly £100 and the stonework looks like toffee brittle.

DSC04516.JPG.16b49af656bd1035bcde5ccca5d6c69b.JPG

It took a lot of work to improve things..............

DSC04520.JPG.4fc1ff70be37232ab85ddc14d392cb62.JPG

And even more work to make a more decent canopy..... and roof tiles.

DSC04590.JPG.751e53ec2d91a811bedb52e78528984b.JPG

The more recent Timbercraft products  are the most expensive and the best of their range ( the early ones are slightly cheaper but the brickwork corners are poor) so I sold my kits on before starting any of them.

Intentio kits are slightly less expensive but are the most progressive in detail and assembly and with care will make the most realistic buildings ( but as yet they have not produced a small to medium sized Goods shed.  But you pays yer monies !!!

But the finished product is the best in my opinion.

DSC05192.JPG.c207ce7bd289f286db955144e524c51b.JPG

DSC05199.JPG.6d88b8e83d72f9c8c28059075bc67461.JPG

Railmodel ( ex Lasercraftdevon kits ) were I think the first in O Gauge and in my mind are a modestly priced alternative to the above, and are my next go to choice.

There kits make great models for the price and are not flimsy single thickness walled buildings of the basement price ranges.

DSC02923.JPG.14337a2dfb0e8c6c5e16df9460524656.JPG

DSC05493.JPG.680b0bcc086b53453e8fbe37727d4499.JPG

It`s the corners of the brickwork that dictates quality of the kit for me....... you have to do a bit of modelling with Railmodel kits to get them to look better...but I still like their kits.

DSC04528.JPG

Really great summary of some of the building kits available John, very useful to know.

Despite its' shortcomings, the resin station looks amazing.

I think that whatever medium is selected, the modeller will need to put in considerable effort to get a "finescale" result.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

Hi, I'm the owner of Intentio so I should make that clear!

I do have a GWR station and Goods Shed in the range as well various other GWR buildings. The station and Goods Shed are out of production at the moment while I'm concentrating on 4mm versions. They will be back and improved very soon.

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1